Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Boiling Frog Analogy to Totalitarian Agriculture

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The Boiling Frog Analogy to Totalitarian Agriculture

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 02:46:54

I found this interesting article on how a boiling frog is analogous to totalitarian agriculture's unsustainable growth in population.

http://www.oilcrash.com/articles/frog.htm

Basically as a summary, as the population grows, things only get worse. There is more war, famine, starvation and disease as the population doubles every time. The population used to double once every 1 thousand years, which shortens down to only once every couple of decades near the present.

The frog starts off with a little shimmer...just the water being luke-warm. Then the water heats up. It gets hotter and hotter until the frog boils to death when the population reaches 6 billion, meaning the frog died.

The boiling frog basically talk about how totalitarian agriculture fuels this food race. It works like this. We grow more food, which causes the population to expand. And then we grow more food to feed the expanding population. This process keeps on repeating itself, with continual increases in population. Eventually we end up with a massive population. And this process is still continuing. Of course, this process is unsustainable. Infinite population growth is impossible on a finite planet.

The boiling frog analogy is pretty interesting. I just liked to share it with all of you guys.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: The Boiling Frog Analogy to Totalitarian Agriculture

Unread postby Gorm » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 02:54:32

The boiling frog story is commonly used in a lot of diffrent contexts. This one is not hitting the mark especially good.
Gorm
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 02:56:53

Gorm wrote:The boiling frog story is commonly used in a lot of diffrent contexts. This one is not hitting the mark especially good.

Why isn't it hitting the mark especially good?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Paulo1 » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 09:50:31

Can you give posting every article you read to this site, a break? My mouse hand is sore skipping over. Seriously, it is irritating. Save the posts for serious links and comments. I know this is a rude comment, but....
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 11:55:11

I'd like to emphasize that point. First Read. Then Think. Think about whether the new material is really new, or repeats existing thread material - meaning you Search for prior threads. Then, only if you decide you have new and worthy material, or if you have interesting commentary or a different perspective on existing material, post another thread.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 12:09:49

I think it's a poor analogy. The point about the boiling frog is the frog doesn't realise it's getting hotter till it's too late.

When making this post I realised I was relying on your summary Desu. I therefore checked the link and although I'm still not overawed by Quinn's analogy it is valid.

Your summary totally misrepresents the article.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 12:56:28

Quinny wrote:I think it's a poor analogy. The point about the boiling frog is the frog doesn't realise it's getting hotter till it's too late.

When making this post I realised I was relying on your summary Desu. I therefore checked the link and although I'm still not overawed by Quinn's analogy it is valid.

Your summary totally misrepresents the article.

My summary is a perfect interpretation of the article. The water keeps on getting hotter as the population increases because an ever-increasing population puts more strain on the Earth's environment. Eventually there are so many people that the Earth literally dies meaning the water gets so hot that the frog dies.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 13:21:30

pstarr wrote:The author doesn't know squat regarding totalitarian agriculture. The author is a doofus-idiot.

Not all corporate/giant agriculture is totalitarian (but all agriculture damages to the ecosystem, including permaculture). Only grain agriculture is totalitarian because it enslaves people. That is what the neolithic revolution wrought.

Totalitarian agriculture is the reason why there is a division between rich and poor.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 16:51:24

pstarr wrote:
DesuMaiden wrote:Totalitarian agriculture is the reason why there is a division between rich and poor.

Yes, but all agriculture is totalitarian. All agriculture depends on tool use (to penetrate the ground, to turn the sod, to harvest the crops) Anything else is gathering/hunting/fishing/herding.

All agriculture (especially grain) and tool-use requires division of labor for storage of grain and manufacturing of tools. That requires capital (see the wheat penny.) That is grain, it stores well and allows for concentration of wealth. Protection of capital requires weapons. (gun powder is measured in grain weight).

That's exactly my point. Of course, the people who control the capital are parasites as Karl Marx said.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 17:01:42

pstarr wrote:that's fine Desu, but then there is no totalitarian agriculture . . . just agriculture.

Daniel Quinn is the only person I know who uses the term totalitarian agriculture.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 17:11:36

pstarr wrote:Desu our entire industrial infrastructure of giant farms, roads, cities, convenience stores and food factories are all designed to keep the population sedated on grain carbohydrates and trapped in consumer shopping ghettos. The rest is icing on the cake for the capitalists.

Like Michael Ruppert once said, the whole economy is a pyramid scheme. It is a total lie. Our economy is all based on exploiting poor people for rich people's profit, which essentially makes it a pyramid scheme. I'm not jealous of rich people, but I have little respect for them, because I think they are just parasites.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 04 Feb 2015, 18:01:57

pstarr wrote:They don't know they are parasites. We don't know we are slaves. It's just the way the system developed.

I like that image from the Matrix. But it is true that rich people are parasites, and that everyone else are just slaves to the rich people. That's capitalism for you. One huge pyramid scheme.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion