Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is anyone here a cornucopian?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Is anyone here a cornucopian?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 00:49:04

Just wondering. Just in case if you haven't realized cornucopian beliefs are fallacious. They have been refuted by doomers time and time again. You can't maintain such an intellectually dishonest position forever. Just accept doomerism, so you can save yourselves, your family, and the people around you when the collapse of industrial civilization happens.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Is anyone here a cornucopian?

Unread postby shallow sand » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 00:51:29

I don't know where I fall. I guess what I am most unsure of is timing.
shallow sand
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 01:17:50

shallow sand wrote:I don't know where I fall. I guess what I am most unsure of is timing.

Timing of what?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby kublikhan » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 02:10:51

If you are looking for cornys on this board you should do a search for the author: copious.abundance
He's probably the most prolific corny poster we have. He posts frequently in the economic threads such as:
Reports of US Economic Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated Pt 3
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 02:32:14

My garden is a cornucopia
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 03:57:42

Life is for living. Wasting time with calling labels achieves nothing.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 11:22:52

SeaGypsy wrote:Life is for living. Wasting time with calling labels achieves nothing.

Labels are useful because if we didn't have labels, we wouldn't be able to classify anything. We need to be able to classify things.

And cornucopian beliefs are fallacious. They assume technology can infinitely progress. Nothing progresses forever. They also assume that the Earth's resources are infinite. And that we can just go into space for more resources. They forget that it is logistically impossible to go into space for natural resources. It takes an unimaginable amount of resources to just send a handful of people to the Moon. So it is utterly impossible to send many more people to places that are much further away than the Moon like Mars or the asteroid belt. I highly doubt mankind will ever have a manned mission to Mars, and it would be a waste of time and resources trying to send anyone to Mars because it will accomplish nothing useful.

We have to be realistic with our future. We can't believe that we will solve the resource shortages on Earth by colonizing other planets, because it is logistically impossible to colonize other planets. We have to realize that the Earth is the only planet we got, and unless we can live sustainably on Earth, we are doomed as a species.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dinopello » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 14:09:37

What do call someone who creates a cornucopia of new threads on a message board?
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 15:35:00

dinopello wrote:What do call someone who creates a cornucopia of new threads on a message board?

It is called Desu:
Desu (Japanese: です) is a Japanese word that is used by both fans of Japanese culture and those who mock the former. In most situations, desu is used in spam attacks and thread derailments on forums and image boards alike.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/desu

I've been waiting for someone to say the maiden smells like Pop's sock because of all the new threads that hit bullseye on every familiar PO topic.

I'm gonna laugh if DM is a bot.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 17:55:39

Pops wrote:I'm gonna laugh if DM is a bot.

Now that's frightening. Could Desu be Skynet? AI?

"I eat you for breakfast, Dave."

I guess "maiden" is part of the meme too?

Rozen Maiden
The character Suiseiseki from the anime series Rozen Maiden ends every sentence with desu.

There are even “combo-videos” where you can hear hundreds of unique utterances of desu one after another.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby basil_hayden » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 18:18:11

Pops wrote:
dinopello wrote:What do call someone who creates a cornucopia of new threads on a message board?

It is called Desu:
Desu (Japanese: です) is a Japanese word that is used by both fans of Japanese culture and those who mock the former. In most situations, desu is used in spam attacks and thread derailments on forums and image boards alike.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/desu

I've been waiting for someone to say the maiden smells like Pop's sock because of all the new threads that hit bullseye on every familiar PO topic.

I'm gonna laugh if DM is a bot.

http://peakoil.com/forums/mankind-s-biggest-mistake-fossil-fuel-dependency-t70431.html?hilit=%20DesuMaiden

How long ya thinkin on waitin?
basil_hayden
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 18:53:41

LOL, I wondered why no one had googled it up but you all were on this way back when I was packing to move!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 19:57:34

Oohhhhh ok, well that was an interesting youtube video!

That explains a lot about Desu. Like we used to have this one guy that had some kind of youtube channel and blogs and then he'd just post here a bit but you could tell it was really promoting his own site.

And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that peakoil.com has always been a little cozy cafe (or nuthouse, depending on one's perspective) with the same old people talking for an ungodly long number of years -- and it's not someone that has a book or website or some other thing going on and then they are just promoting it here.

So you can tell when someone is like that, because they will just post but otherwise not engage with anyone.

Having said that, I respect anyone that's going to put themselves up on youtube etc.

@Desu
You probably shouldn't start so many threads, and just have maybe one thread you're most active in. You could post your videos but then also have conversations with people in these threads, but don't make it a debate like you already know everything there is to know -- because you don't -- there's a lot you can learn from others. If you talk to them, and not troll or preach.

Okay I'm going back to the Ukraine thread now, to preach at people.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 20:09:01

Sixstrings wrote:
Okay I'm going back to the Ukraine thread now, to preach at people.

:) Humor is our best tool in the shed, especially when self deprecating or when we acknowledge our commonality.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 07 Feb 2015, 20:10:44

On topic: yes, I'm a bit cornucopian.

And a Christian (nominal), too.

And I'm not hostile to religion, either. And nobody has the right to "eat me for breakfast." Hell, I may even vote Republican next time.

I don't get emotional about "peak oil." It either is, or is not, and I don't care either way. I used to be on the peak oil bandwagon, and now it looks to me like there really is an awful lot of shale and natgas in the world. So okay, my worldview adjusts to that new reality, I don't feel a need to cling to something else.

EDIT: Oh and another thing, I'm proud of America.

We Americans:

* Like oil, and cheap gas
* We can change, as needed and that's our success for centuries now
* We don't turn the other cheek if we get hit, it's in our DNA, so folk are best not to hit us please, thank you
* We are stubbornly optimistic, usually, except when in periods of depressive funk but those don't last and we remember who we are and then look out -- America is back in business and it's boom times again.

The shining city on a hill:

In Matthew 5:14, he tells his listeners, "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."

The phrase entered the American lexicon early in its history, in the Puritan John Winthrop's 1630 sermon "A Model of Christian Charity". Still aboard the ship Arbella, Winthrop admonished the future Massachusetts Bay colonists that their new community would be "as a city upon a hill", watched by the world — which became the ideal the New England colonists placed upon their hilly capital city, Boston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_upon_a_Hill

Rinse and repeat, and we endure, united, while the rest of the world has turbulations and revolutions, disunity, landgrabs and civil wars.

And we remain that place that everyone wants to come to, and move to, and study in, and we remain that place that the world looks to -- to do the Right Thing.

Ibon wrote::) Humor is our best tool in the shed, especially when self deprecating or when we acknowledge our commonality.

I'm glad you got the joke. :lol:
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Fri 13 Mar 2015, 14:06:17

I talked to Desu and he is really bummed that he was kicked off the forum. I told him that it was because he kept posting new topics, and people found it annoying. He promised not to post multiple threads any more.

I think he's a grad student and has just found out about peak oil, and wants to talk about it so much that he has overloaded our forums. He is chilling out now, and will be better in the future.

We were like that when we first found out too, weren't we?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 13 Mar 2015, 14:28:41

DesuMaiden wrote:Just wondering. Just in case if you haven't realized cornucopian beliefs are fallacious. They have been refuted by doomers time and time again. You can't maintain such an intellectually dishonest position forever. Just accept doomerism, so you can save yourselves, your family, and the people around you when the collapse of industrial civilization happens.

Um, as a moderate who tries to look at actual data for proof or "refutation", I just find it laughable when doomers like you:

1). Repeatedly proclaim short term doom, are wrong, and just reset the clock as though nothing happened.
2). Twist good news into bad news to maintain your forecast, citing discredited (as far as predictions go) outfits like zerohedge.
3). Then, go so far as to claim they have "refuted" cornies who are certainly no more "wrong" than the hard core doomers, even with their perpetual rose colored glasses.

But hey, if this delusion makes you happy, go for it. It's not like this is unique. Politics, religion, sports, economics, and all kinds of arbitrary human interests spur such delusions of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong -- regardless of any related objective data".
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 13 Mar 2015, 16:49:08

Revi wrote:I talked to Desu and he is really bummed that he was kicked off the forum. I told him that it was because he kept posting new topics, and people found it annoying. He promised not to post multiple threads any more.

I think he's a grad student and has just found out about peak oil, and wants to talk about it so much that he has overloaded our forums. He is chilling out now, and will be better in the future.

We were like that when we first found out too, weren't we?

Yup!

Sometimes I think these threads should have two levels, one for beginners and one available only after some period of time.

But then again, I'm watching another board slowly die because its population is limited and there is no real new blood to stir things up.

Double edged sword.

And the old timers, on any forum, can be brutal to newbies.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion