Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Spoooooock!!!! Nooooooo!!!!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Spoooooock!!!! Nooooooo!!!!

Unread postby MD » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 13:48:44

:shock: :shock:

what are we gonna do???

no more Spock!!!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Re: Spoooooock!!!! Nooooooo!!!!

Unread postby MD » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 13:51:08

Oh wait, never mind. Here he is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+spo ... 66&bih=633

RIP Leonard Nimoy
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 13:51:21

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Lore » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:07:14

No complaints, he lived long and prospered.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:31:12

Spock may have transferred his Katra to McCoy again.

Lets shoot his casket into space so it lands on the planet where the Genesis Device is located. Then, after Spock's body is recreated, his Katra can escape from Dr. McCoy's body and return to Spock's new body.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:32:59

Peace And Long Life
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:56:16

I was always intrigued by his music. The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, is of course a classic.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Lore » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 14:56:59

Plantagenet wrote:Spock may have transferred his Katra to McCoy again.

Lets shoot his casket into space so it lands on the planet where the Genesis Device is located. Then, after Spock's body is recreated, his Katra can escape from Dr. McCoy's body and return to Spock's new body.

Spock may live forever, unfortunately both Leonard and DeForest are now deceased.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby obixman » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 15:44:11

I'm feeling old.

really old.
obixman
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 16:30:48

This was a good show too:

If I recall, Nimoy directed one of the Star Trek movies and that was one of the good movies. And then Shatner directed another one, and it sucked.

Nimoy was born to Jewish migrant parents in Boston, Massachusetts. He began his career in his early twenties, teaching acting classes in Hollywood and making minor film and television appearances through the 1950s, as well as playing the title role in Kid Monk Baroni. Foreshadowing his fame as a semi-alien, he played Narab, one of three Martian invaders in the 1952 movie serial Zombies of the Stratosphere. In 1953, he served in the United States Army.

In 1965, he made his first appearance in the rejected Star Trek pilot The Cage, and went on to play the character of Mr. Spock until 1969, followed by eight feature films and guest slots in the various spin-off series. The character has had a significant cultural impact and garnered Nimoy three Emmy Award nominations; TV Guide named Spock one of the 50 greatest TV characters.[4][5] After the original Star Trek series, Nimoy starred in Mission: Impossible for two seasons, hosted the documentary series In Search of..., and narrated Civilization IV, as well as making several well-received stage appearances. More recently, he also had a recurring role in the science fiction series Fringe.

Nimoy's fame as Spock was such that both of his autobiographies, I Am Not Spock (1975) and I Am Spock (1995), were written from the viewpoint of sharing his existence with the character.

The second volume, I Am Spock (1995), saw Nimoy communicating that he finally realized his years of portraying the Spock character had led to a much greater identification between the fictional character and himself. Nimoy had much input into how Spock would act in certain situations, and conversely, Nimoy's contemplation of how Spock acted gave him cause to think about things in a way that he never would have thought if he had not portrayed the character. As such, in this autobiography Nimoy maintains that in some meaningful sense he has merged with Spock while at the same time maintaining the distance between fact and fiction.

Nimoy also composed several volumes of poetry, some published along with a number of his photographs. His latest effort is titled A Lifetime of Love: Poems on the Passages of Life (2002).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

I looked it up, Nimoy directed Star Treks III and IV -- both good movies. Shatner directed Star Trek V, the final frontier (the weakest of the original cast movies).

Incidentally Spock's World is one of the best Trek novels:

Nice guy, long life and career, nobody disliked Leonard Nimoy. RIP.

And you know.. seriously, here.. these original cast actors, and Gene Roddenberry, are something apart from most of pop culture. It goes deeper than that. Star Trek is American culture mythology. People will still be watching Trek, centuries from now.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Timo » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 17:00:28

Very sad, indeed. A monumental piece of American living history has just been lost. I have nothing against any of the original Star Trek cast members, but among them all, Nemoy will be missed the most. RIP Leonard. Well done.

Warp 9 to the Afterlife. Engage!
Timo

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 19:04:20

His best moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 9x0o#t=626

Fixing a starship motor while it is operating.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby MD » Fri 27 Feb 2015, 19:37:57

Repent wrote:His best moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 9x0o#t=626

Fixing a starship motor while it is operating.

yeah pretty much.

A lot of good star trek adventures since then. The latest movie series with the young actors may prove to be the best yet though.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 28 Feb 2015, 00:48:26

Some youtube vids, in memoriam:

A short tribute to the great Leonard Nimoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72Mt964FFE

Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0m9E1QY-g4

Movie Planet's Tribute to Leonard Nimoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjUniVxY6s

Live Long and Prosper: The Jewish Story Behind Spock, Leonard Nimoy's Star Trek Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyiWkWcR86I

Leonard Nimoy's final tweet:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
https://twitter.com/therealnimoy/status/569762773204217857
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 28 Feb 2015, 01:32:04

Timo wrote:Very sad, indeed. A monumental piece of American living history has just been lost. I have nothing against any of the original Star Trek cast members, but among them all, Nemoy will be missed the most. RIP Leonard. Well done.

I agree. I always liked the late Deforest Kelley too (Bones). I saw him at a trek convention back in the day, that was cool, he was just like he was in the show and movies. :lol:

All these people involved in Trek were (and are) good people, starting with Gene Roddenberry that created it all, and his vision of a "wagon train to the stars" / optimistic future / hero myth epic and morality plays. And Majel Barrett, and George Takei. And then all the producers, behind the scenes people, and the original writers like DC Fontana. And then the novels; there have been hundreds of Trek novels published. A few of them are very good writers and the books stand alone as solid fiction, Trek besides. I liked JM Dillard's trek novels the best, and Diane Duane.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 02 Mar 2015, 04:39:01

Shatner missed Nimoy's funeral:

William Shatner ✔ @WilliamShatner
Follow
I chose to honor a commitment I made months ago to appear at a charitable fundraiser. A lot of money was raised. So here I am; tell me off.

8O 8O 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:51:19

We have yet to invent the technology to move from one coast to the other in less than several hours, and doing even that requires scheduling.

I am a huge fan but believe Shatner did the right thing, the Red Cross was counting on him to draw money in for their event in Florida. The Media is making him out to be in the wrong, not the majority of the Trekkers.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 02 Mar 2015, 14:16:53

Tanada wrote:We have yet to invent the technology to move from one coast to the other in less than several hours, and doing even that requires scheduling.

I am a huge fan but believe Shatner did the right thing, the Red Cross was counting on him to draw money in for their event in Florida. The Media is making him out to be in the wrong, not the majority of the Trekkers.

Well.. it could just be unfortunate circumstance..

Reading some more, apparently jewish custom requires burial within 24 hours. So that's understandable, but he could have hopped a charter flight at the local airport -- since he's worth $100 million -- pilots would have fallen over themselves to fly him out there.

I live in a small-ish city and you can get a charter short notice, if you've got the money. I used to work at the airport. People do it all the time.

The thing about it is though is that probably a lot of people wondered if Shatner would show up. He didn't go to Takei's wedding. At that time he said that he didn't know Takei (sulu) very well. They interviewed Nichelle Nichols (played Uhura) and she said that was nonsense, they all know each other after seasons of the original series and and six movies and 40 years of Trek. She just rolled her eyes and said "that's Bill."

It's not a big deal, just a running joke about Shatner and how he is. Always stealing the limelight etc. :lol:

That's the thing about funerals, if you don't show up, maybe it's not your fault but if you've already got a history of doing that kind of disrespect then people talk.

Objectively -- I don't know -- he could have called a limo and been on a charter within hours.

But --Shatner's 83, that's excuse enough for anything really, and that funeral really was too quick to expect people to get in. It's just Bill though, it's how he is a bit. I only posted this news because it caught me by surprise -- I actually wondered if he would not show up -- then omg there it is in the news. 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 02 Mar 2015, 19:24:39

He's already done it once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PN5y40#t=0

Why do it again?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion