Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Western media "freedom"

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Western media "freedom"

Unread postby dissident » Mon 23 Mar 2015, 20:02:59

http://www.unz.com/akarlin/the-moor-has-done-his-duty/
Andrey Babitsky was the quintessential Russian democratic journalist.

A correspondent for the US government funded Radio Liberty/Radio Free Europe (RFERL) since 1989, his star began to shine at the start of the Second Chechen War in 1999, when he was embedded amongst the rebel fighters in Grozny. He took a harshly anti-Russian line...

His troubles with the editors began with an article on his Russian language blog from March 2014. Just its first sentence, really. It has since been deleted, but the Internet remembers:

This is not about Crimea – on this question, I’m fully agreed with Vladimir Putin’s main thesis, that Russia has the absolute right to take the peninsula’s population under its protection. I am aware that a significant number of my colleagues don’t share this viewpoint. After the President’s speech, I am now a supposedly correct, officially approved citizen, while those who are disagree with Russia’s actions in Ukraine have become national traitors.

That’s it.

A week later, Babitsky was removed from his position as chief editor of Echo of the Caucasus, and suspended from work for one month without reimbursement. The decision was condemned by Mario Corti, a former director of RFERL who had also ran into terminal disagreements with the senior American management and resigned in disgust. Although he stressed that he disagreed with Babitsky’s position on Crimea, he notes that the overall article was “harshly critical of Vladimir Putin,” and affirmed that opinion in a commentary is “legitimate journalism” and that his demotion goes counter to RFERL’s standing as a “paragon of free speech.”

Babitsky was reinstated as a journalist following his one month suspension, but was quietly dismissed in September 2014 after a stint as a war correspondent in the Donbass. He left without much fanfare, unlike, say, Liz Wahl, whose theatric resignation from and denunciation of RT live on air was carefully choreographed in advance with neocon waterboy and professional troll James Kirchick. Possibly Babitsky didn’t want to risk his Czech residency permit – RFERL is headquartered in Prague – until his daughter finished school. In any case, it was only a few days ago that we finally got access to the juicy details of his departure when he gave an interview to the Czech daily Lidové noviny

But interesting as this all is, the Crimea sentence wasn’t what he was fired from RFERL for.

He was fired by a US government funded media outlet for exposing possible Neo-Nazi atrocities.

NATO is a disgusting collection of self-righteous imperialists posing as do-gooders spreading democracy and human rights. Napoleon was also a self-annointed do-gooder spreading the noble values of the French revolution across Europe. The western crusaders were also spreading righteous values to the Middle East and to Byzantium (their fellow Christians). I see a pattern.

Now we have NATO screeching about Russian false narratives and how they need to be combated.

The liars are worried their lies are not being believed. The poor dears.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: Western media "freedom"

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 00:46:55

dissident wrote:NATO is a disgusting collection of self-righteous imperialists posing as do-gooders spreading democracy and human rights. Napoleon was also a self-annointed do-gooder spreading the noble values of the French revolution across Europe. The western crusaders were also spreading righteous values to the Middle East and to Byzantium (their fellow Christians). I see a pattern.

From Wikipedia (FWIW):
The French Campaign in Egypt and Syria (1798–1801) was Napoleon Bonaparte's campaign in the Orient, ostensibly to protect French trade interests, undermine Britain's access to India, and to establish scientific enterprise in the region.
In France, Egyptian fashion was in full swing – intellectuals believed that Egypt was the cradle of western civilization and wished to export the Enlightenment to the Egyptians, ...
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 24 Mar 2015, 02:47:15

All sides have their narrative that they promote, without regard to facts on the ground. Its only weird when those selling a narrative deny that they are doing so; which is what kinda makes Western media creepy.

I don't see what they really worry about though; the public just reads their respective MSM and takes it as truth (eg sixstrings, BobTheRussian); people looking for ground truth know how to take the combined narrative and interleave it with 1st person accounts to arrive at points of objective fact that can then be turned around to filter the various narratives. Political activists know their narrative and stay on point.

I think what they really mean to say is that they are disturbed how easy it is for opposition combatants to utilize social media to provide a fairly sophisticated communications network that is tactically relevant; but even there, I don't think they will succeed at disruption.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 30 Mar 2015, 19:24:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpH-Sh92j1s

Reuters cried it had evidence that anti-Kiev rebels downed MH17. It's not the investigation they cite or some country's intelligence service. It's a Lugansk region resident Petr Fedotov. On camera he said he saw a missile coming from the Ukrainian army's side, and this missile downed the plane. Then off camera, says the agency, the man took his words back and said the missile was in fact launched from a rebel city. The reason he lied in first place is that he was afraid of the rebels. RT caught up with the man who says he never commented the downed Boeing off camera and journalists simply made it up. In the Now are Ronald Suny, Professor Emeritus of Political Science and History at the University of Chicago and US journalist Robert Parry who says that CIA intelligence could have shed light on what happened to MH17, but this information is being concealed for a reason.

Reuters is yet another collection of paid liars that make up the "free" western media.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 11:38:08

Its not just Russia news that is filtered strongly in the USA. Take a look at thins,
http://www.westernjournalism.com/hidden ... im-bakery/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 16:45:35

Geeze, that guys talks faster than I can listen. Maybe I'm impaired cause I don't have TV. All joking aside, I have no idea what side he was on, or what his point was.

I guess my point is that NONE of the media is worth paying attention to.

We, as a culture, have lost the ability to think critically. Not every individual, but in aggregate.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 17:02:03

Newfie wrote:Geeze, that guys talks faster than I can listen. Maybe I'm impaired cause I don't have TV. All joking aside, I have no idea what side he was on, or what his point was.

I guess my point is that NONE of the media is worth paying attention to.

We, as a culture, have lost the ability to think critically. Not every individual, but in aggregate.

Hmm now I have to watch it. If you find someone with a neutral point of view that is a real surprise.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 01:37:48

I'm not seeing any outrage and moral indignation in the Western free press about US-armed and assisted Saudi forces "massing on the border" and bombing poor little Yemen. Unlike their reporting on Ukraine.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby peripato » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 02:18:47

Keith_McClary wrote:I'm not seeing any outrage and moral indignation in the Western free press about US-armed and assisted Saudi forces "massing on the border" and bombing poor little Yemen. Unlike their reporting on Ukraine.

Exactly. if it doesn't fit with western interests then it's either ignored, belittled or blown out of all proportion as the greatest threat to little girls with pigtails since Attila the Hun.

"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 15:28:53

just was wondering what you guys think of the "independent news bloggers". I am sure we can criticize any of them in so much as they are pretty much expressing their own viewpoint. But I find them refreshing in serving up a different view then main stream media whether Western or otherwise.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 19:47:32

Bloggers are OK as long as you follow more than one and can determine if they are legitimately independent or just another parrot. These days you have to scrounge for information from many sources and apply your own brain to evaluate it. Going by established and "respected" media sources is a dead end. They will just lead you around by the nose. But many people don't have the time or the patience to do what amounts to research when they look for news. They want some easy to digest product. So they get what they ask for. LOL.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 05 Apr 2015, 00:32:43

onlooker wrote:just was wondering what you guys think of the "independent news bloggers". I am sure we can criticize any of them in so much as they are pretty much expressing their own viewpoint. But I find them refreshing in serving up a different view then main stream media whether Western or otherwise.

That's a good point. Alternative viewpoints are thought provoking, and bloggers provide that.

However, their utility is limited. They are providing more COMMENTARY, but not more NEWS. The unfortunate collapse of the willingness of major media outlets (like major TV channels or newspapers) to provide real news (which is expensive and takes a lot of resources over time) would seem to be a problem.

Soon, if the US is doing nasty things with its military (as one example) if there is little to no coverage -- are we supposed to just take their press conferences as "the truth"?

Obviously, this situation is NOT the bloggers' fault. I'd like to see the FCC enforce making TV stations provide a meaningful public service for their right to have an ongoing license. A good (and not necessarily profitable) news service was one example of such a service, which is dying, right along with newspapers, since reporting real news is expensive.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 07 Apr 2015, 14:59:50

Part of the problem rests with what we call news.

My special way of looking at things is to identify what I think to be the five biggest problem facing Earth. And, it's not Kardashian breasts and boobs.

If you don't know what the big problems are, then how can yu evaluate if the news is covering them?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion