Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Lobbyist Insists Chemical Is Safe to Drink, Won't Drink It

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Lobbyist Insists Chemical Is Safe to Drink, Won't Drink It

Unread postby peripato » Sun 29 Mar 2015, 00:54:28

Hilarious!

(NEWSER) – A French TV channel is drawing attention for its grilling of a lobbyist defending Monsanto. In the interview with Canal+, Dr. Patrick Moore repeatedly insists that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the popular herbicide Roundup, is safe to drink. And then he repeatedly refuses to drink it, notes Raw Story. A sample of the exchange:

Moore: “You can drink a whole quart of it and it won’t hurt you.”
Interviewer: “You want to drink some? We have some here.”
Moore: “I’d be happy to, actually. Not really. But I know it wouldn’t hurt me.”
Interviewer: "If you say so, I have some."
Moore: "I'm not stupid."

http://bit.ly/1a4ns95
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Lobbyist Insists Chemical Is Safe to Drink, Won't Drink

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 31 Mar 2015, 16:52:49

tail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Apr 2015, 12:23:06

large-laughing-face-smiley-emoticon.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 01 Apr 2015, 16:31:12

also, maybe not the fracking liquid, but other chemicals used in the fracking process are truly nasty, this is a widely held common knowledge and in fact already reports of people contracting cancer and such.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 03 Apr 2015, 23:19:53

Of course, it turns out he wasn't a Monsanto Lobbyist, and I notice none of the Monsanto haters who aren't doing squat to feed the world's hungry population don't bother to correct that, for several days now.

This must be FOX news, where everything is "fair and balanced". :roll:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherp ... who-cares/
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 13:36:48

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Of course, it turns out he wasn't a Monsanto Lobbyist, and I notice none of the Monsanto haters who aren't doing squat to feed the world's hungry population don't bother to correct that, for several days now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherp ... who-cares/

As Newsweek reports, the man, Patrick Moore, is not a Monsanto lobbyist but an environmentalist who is a proponent of genetically modified foods. Read about him on Wikipedia. Glyphosate has been cast as a villain particularly because it is the herbicide that Monsanto’s best-selling genetically modified crops (brand name: RoundUp Ready) are engineered to resist. That means farmers can douse their fields in RoundUp without their soybeans, corn, or canola being harmed, and that people who are convinced, without evidence, that GMO crops are dangerous hate the pesticide by association.

Looks like Pops has a fellow comrade in arms.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 15:14:57

pstarr wrote:
careinke wrote:Looks like Pops has a fellow comrade in arms.
That's an insult by association. Pops is neither a 'comrade' (commie reference) nor is he wrong. Liberals seem to hate Roundup and GMO's irrationally and in equal measure, also guilt by association. Neither one is really bad by itself. Americans feasted worse herbicides than Roundup and managed to live healthy long lives. GMO's fears are merely a useful distraction from the real evil--Industrial grain agriculture. But we are stuck with that. We made our bed of straw and must sleep in it.

You give me way to much credit. I was just commenting he has the same belief as the person who was being interviewed. It appears you hold the same view.

We used the words "comrade in arms" a lot in the military, and I'm pretty sure none of us were commies.

Your argument: that we used worse chemicals, so it OK to use another chemical to disrupt nature, because it is a little less lethal, Is like saying; hanging yourself is better than shooting yourself because there is less blood. Makes no sense.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 15:25:29

Pstarr,

Upon further reflection, I do agree with you the real problem is industrial agriculture and its effect on soil. I just see GMO's and Round Up as an extension, and a way to prolong industrial agriculture. Industrial Agriculture is unsustainable and will eventually crash, in my opinion the sooner, the better off we will be. GMO's are to agriculture, what Tar Sands are to FF's. Both Frack the world.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby davep » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 16:09:11

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2015/03/27/no-its-not-safe-to-drink-weed-killer-on-camera-but-who-cares/

In 2010, Moore became a controversial figure for his work on an environmental sustainability report for Asian Pulp & Paper, an Indonesian company derided by groups like the World Wildlife Fund for, among other things, threatening endangered Sumatran orangutan and tiger habitats.

Moore’s report came back glowing. APP, he said, was "engaged in world-class sustainable forest management,” according to the Guardian.

“[Moore] is seen by some environmentalists as the most brazen of the spin doctors they face,” the Guardian’s George Monbiot wrote at the time.

He's a paid industry shill. He's also a climate sceptic who says 'there is “no scientific proof” that humans are driving the global warming'. He may once have been an environmentalist, but people can and do change.

Here's Monbiot's article on him http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2010/dec/02/sumatra-rainforest-destruction-patrick-moore

Moore became one of Greenpeace's most articulate and effective spokespeople, leading campaigns against nuclear warships, whaling and seal clubbing. He became head of the Greenpeace Foundation, which later turned into Greenpeace Canada, and he was a director of Greenpeace International. Then, in the 80s, it all went horribly wrong. Moore claims he fell out with Greenpeace over scientific issues. Greenpeace maintains that he left after his autocratic style lost him the votes he needed to stay on the board. In either case, in 1986 he left Greenpeace and started a fish-farming business on Vancouver Island. In 1991 he wound it up after the price of salmon halved. Moore then made two moves that came to define his later career. He joined the board of the Forest Alliance of British Columbia, a group set up by logging companies to fight the greens trying to prevent the clear-cutting of ancient forests; and he set up the first of his consultancy businesses. In 2001 he founded Greenspirit Strategies with two of the public relations experts he had worked with at the Forest Alliance.

He has done well. He tells me: "I make less than the average corporate lawyer but consider myself successful" – for someone who started his career as an academic. He has homes in the city of Vancouver, in a fishing village on Vancouver Island and in Baja, California. His services have been widely used not only by controversial companies, but also by the media, for which he writes articles and gives interviews attacking environmental groups and their campaigns. While he is invariably billed as a co-founder of Greenpeace, I have come across only two instances in which viewers or readers are told that he works for companies with an interest in the issues he's discussing.

It's worth reading the rest to see how his assessment of the Sumatran rainforest destruction differs from genuine environmental groups. George concludes
Whatever its merits, the "inspection" did the job. The Washington Post has repeated some of Moore's claims about APP on its website, without questioning them or explaining that he was paid by APP. Moore tells me that his report is now "in the hands of everyone in the paper trade". His credentials as a co-founder of Greenpeace, with a PhD in ecology lend it a weight it might not otherwise possess.

But it seems to me that he cannot play this card for ever. There will come a point at which his credibility as a "leading environmentalist" runs out. He too will become a toxic brand, likely further to taint a company trying to clear its reputation. But for now the work keeps rolling in.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby davep » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 16:17:00

http://desmogblog.com/patrick-moore

Moore is the “chairman and chief scientist” of Greenspirit Strategies Ltd., a PR company that “work with many leading organizations in forestry, biotechnology, aquaculture and plastics, developing solutions in the areas of natural resources, biodiversity, energy and climate change.”

He is also a Board Member of NextEnergy, a Canadian energy services company.[6]

Moore has been criticized for his relations with “polluters and clear-cutters” through his consultancy and has earned his living since the early 1990s primarily through consulting and publicly speaking for a variety of corporations and lobby groups such as the Nuclear Energy Institute. [7], [8]

Also "Patrick Moore was a speaker at the Heartland Institute’s Ninth International Conference on Climate Change (ICCC9) in Las Vegas, Nevada."

The Heartland Institute that "has received roughly $395,000 from the tobacco company Philip Morris.

Heartland no longer reveals their individual donors, they explain, because “listing our donors in this way allowed people who disagree with our views to accuse us of being 'paid' by specific donors to take positions in public policy debates, something we never do. After much deliberation and with some regret, we now keep confidential the identities of all our donors.”

Greenpeace's ExxonSecrets reports that the Heartland Institute has received $676,500 from ExxonMobil since 1998. Greenpeace also reports that Heartland received at least $30,000 from Koch Industries
."

Patrick Moore appears to have stopped listing who supports him since 2000, and even that page has disappeared. He's nothing but your average PR scumbag. And Monsanto can technically say he's not a lobbyist because his funding comes through proxy thinktanks. That doesn't make him any less of a lobbyist.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Lore » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 16:33:21

Basically Moore just makes the usual unsubstantiated statements. The corporate polluters and their media enablers are just fond of rolling him out because of his former environmentalist group ties. His expertise was that of an activist with no more credibility then any other ameture that publishes an opinion.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 16:56:36

Shills, Lobbyists and their ilk will always be around, because their will always be "mercenaries" and people for hire
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby davep » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:03:32

Lore wrote:Basically Moore just makes the usual unsubstantiated statements. The corporate polluters and their media enablers are just fond of rolling him out because of his former environmentalist group ties. His expertise was that of an activist with no more credibility then any other ameture that publishes an opinion.

Yup.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby kuidaskassikaeb » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:36:02

You know Glyphosate (Roundup) is probably safe to drink. I've certainly got enough on me. It is suspected of causing kidney disease, but though a very convoluted process that includes entering the soil, attaching itself to heavy metal ions, having victims ingest the soil, and then dumping the heavy metals in the kidneys. Not exactly simple.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/24876-monsantos-herbicide-linked-to-fatal-kidney-disease-epidemic-will-ckdu-topple-monsanto

Also fracking fluid in the state it goes into the ground is probably not good for you, but probably not real toxic either. The baddies like ethylene glycol, glutaraldahyde, diesel fuel etc. are present in small amounts. It's the arsenic, hydrogen sulfide, barium that come back up that make it acutely toxic.

Anyway these stunts don't prove anything as the famous account of the lead in gasoline shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley,_Jr

On October 30, 1924, Midgley participated in a press conference to demonstrate the apparent safety of TEL. In this demonstration, he poured TEL over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever.[5][8] However, the State of New Jersey ordered the Bayway plant to be closed a few days later, and Jersey Standard was forbidden to manufacture TEL there again without state permission. Midgley sought treatment for lead poisoning in Europe a few months after his demonstration at the press conference.[9] Midgley was relieved of his position as vice president of GMCC in April 1925, reportedly due to his inexperience in organizational matters, but he remained an employee of General Motors.[5]
kuidaskassikaeb
Coal
Coal

Unread postby davep » Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:46:11

You know Glyphosate (Roundup) is probably safe to drink. I've certainly got enough on me.

Seriously? Indian farmers are getting into debt due to the Monsanto model and committing suicide in their droves. Handily, this stuff does the trick.

I got some on me a while back (it's actually far worse with the stuff they add, but it doesn't get tested with them together) and have since developed celiac disease. I can't prove causality, but it's far from safe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

Abstract.

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup®, is the most important causal factor in this epidemic...
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion