Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What kind of video game consoles do you own?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What kind of video game consoles do you own?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 02:50:38

I own an Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii and PS3. I also own 2 PSPs, 2 Nintendo DSes, a Gameboy Color and a 3DS. What about you? I believe most people in industrialized countries have played video games at some point in their lives.

Needless to say, video games are all made of oil. The discs, game cartridges, controllers and video game consoles themselves are all computers. And to manufacture a computer requires 10 times its own weight in fossil fuels. So yes, video games require an enormous amount of oil to manufacture too! But they are fun! A lot of things produced by oil are fun. Driving a car is also fun. Using a computer is also fun. All of this stuff is made by oil.

Anyways back to the main topic of this thread. My favorite video game consoles are the Wii, PS3, and PSP. I am not a collector of video game consoles mainly because I don't have the money to collect old video game consoles (like the NES and SNES), but I like playing old school games (like NES and SNES games) on emulators.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: What kind of video game consoles do you own?

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 02:54:44

None, but my children have several.
If you're concerned about the "oil footprint", why do you have so much stuff?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 03:03:21

dolanbaker wrote:None, but my children have several.
If you're concerned about the "oil footprint", why do you have so much stuff?

Well, I don't really have that many video game consoles. I don't really own that many video games compared to some people. There are four people in my house. My dad, my sister and I own a laptop. So three of the four people in my house own a laptop. And we also have a desktop computer, which my mom uses. And we own several video game consoles and numerous video games. All of these electronic products we own required an enormous amount of oil to produce, which is true. My dad is a computer programmer. That's why there are so many computers in my house.

I bought all of those video games before I was concerned about my oil footprint. After realizing the impact of peak oil, I will limit the amount of useless stuff I buy. There is really no point I want to get another video game console because:

a) they require too much oil to be produced
b) I am not interested in the current generation of consoles.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 03:29:26

You do realize that oil is only one of many inputs to what makes modern living possible and the fact that the amount of "fat" is enormous. What I mean is that from the top of our "western lifestyle" to the bottom is a very long way, it will actually take decades to happen.

Don't worry about buying stuff that is important to you just don't be frivolous and buy the MK3.17a to replace the MK3.15d just because it has an extra feature that you may never use. Replacing a unit because it is no longer capable of running the current games is a different story.

Having said that, many gamers just keep with the same games so have no need to upgrade.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 05:31:42

None. High tech utter wastage of time.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 06:48:50

None.
No TV either.
I read a lot.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 08:39:35

I had a hand me down xbox 360 my grandson gave me but it was getting tired and had a hard time spinning up, so we auctioned it.
Way back when Doom first came out (the video game not the PeakOil fantasy game) I just couldn't get enough, I loved it. that was early 90s I guess. I used to play ong on a friends atari back when? the 70s?

I played some 1st person shooter games on the xbox that were pretty fun. Gaming is like imbibing certain chemicals or hanging on whatever message board pops yer pistol; it's fun and a relaxing diversion but easy to go overboard.

I'd sorta like to get another console if I could find one at a second had gamer store for a little bit of nothing but I gotta get the cable hooked up first lest I get beat with the frying pan, LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GoghGoner » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 09:48:22

I played a text-based game on the iPhone recently. A Dark Room. It was fun but it had been a couple of years since I played any other game. I think over the last 12 years, I have played 24 hours of video games.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 10:35:30

I owned a PS3 for 4+ years and never played a single video game. I used it to watch Blu-Ray disks and stream movies.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 17:20:45

Just my PC. I do love Civilization though.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Narz » Mon 13 Apr 2015, 17:33:03

careinke wrote:Just my PC. I do love Civilization though.

Wouldn't be here if not for that game. I got sucked into forums originally to find Civ 2 opponents almost 15 years ago.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Tue 14 Apr 2015, 00:40:15

Solid PC user , since forever like !

my favourite games are open world , with plenty of atmosphere

- -the Fallout serie , post apocalypse for fun

- Stalker ,Shadow of Chernobyl , best realistic background ,
reminded me of the place ..Soviet rust and industrial knocked about building and that was before the accident :)

- Mounts and blades , Warband , or the fine art of medieval cutlery

- starting with Morrowind then Oblivion , Skyrim ( with hundred of mods ) and Elder scrolls on line

the fun is Exploring , getting good gear and taking down the opposition in a smooth style with a minimum of fuss
or with a minimum of means , once did a deathclaw with a knife
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Tue 14 Apr 2015, 12:28:11

We have a hand-me down 360 and Wii. The 360 went red ring of death on us, and we don't play the Wii as much. I used to be really into gaming in my teens, but now I only play the kiosks at department stores. I still like going to the arcades occasionally, however.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 15 Apr 2015, 20:44:44

I have never had a video game console. Also, we got rid of the cable tv this year.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 09:39:49

Got a 360 and a "one"; but carefully observing the teenager, I have come to the conclusion that when presented with the choices between a high end console and a high end PC (i5/i7 and modern graphics card); the consoles seem to get ignored. Consoles had an edge for a while because their graphics were so much better, but its simply no longer the case. Even my old self, I tend now to prefer to watch stuff off hulu or netflix as opposed to the regular TV. I suppose the comm companies don't really care; they get paid either way. Only the concept of "tv station/network" has a serious problem there because of how revenue from advertising is generated.

I tried to play a couple games on the consoles, but can't seem to get a feel for handling the controller.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 17:45:52

Message from an old fart................ How can a video game ever really compare to the wonders of our natural world.

What is it about these games whose seduction can compete with a spring chorus of birds in a forest?

This adrenalin that soars while sitting sedentary on a chair.

I have never understood this. I come from a generation and from a value system that is mystified at the popularity of these games.

Help me understand.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 16 Apr 2015, 18:06:04

Ibon wrote:Help me understand.

For me, it's competition. I like playing tennis and used to really like basketball. I don't mind losing but I love a good competition. When I play online video games (primarily UnCharted on PS3) it's the same competitive feeling and it's easier than finding and scheduling a tennis game. I am getting a bit bored with it though. Still like the real thing better too.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:17:00

Ibon wrote:Message from an old fart................ How can a video game ever really compare to the wonders of our natural world.

I get a kick out of you guys tapping out your superior sensibilities to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Not that it is a surprise, I'm much cooler online too.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:35:21

I begged my parent to buy me an Atari back when i was in high school. They said no. They wouldn't even invest in a color TV. I still don't have any game consoles, and i also don't have any TV, at all. So, even if i did have a game console, i wouldn't be able to use it. Most people find these absences rather odd, just like most people don't understand why i won't eat meat or fish, but to be perfectly honest, i find it incredibly easy to do without these gadgets (or animals), and now find engaging in watching any television a waste of time. I do, however, play solitaire on my PC. When i'm not here at PO, that's what i'm doing. :roll:
Timo

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 13:29:50

KaiserJeep wrote:I owned a PS3 for 4+ years and never played a single video game. I used it to watch Blu-Ray disks and stream movies.

Why would you buy a PS3 just to watch movies? Isn't the purpose of buying a video game console to play video games?
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion