Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Reasons mankind created this modern world

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Reasons mankind created this modern world

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 13:35:38

I am interested in inquiring as to what members feel are the principal reasons mankind embarked on this paradigm of economic growth and technology creation. And in synchronization with population growth. Now the obvious and direct answer is because we could based on access to the abundant energy of fossil fuels. We could have rejected this gift of the Gods but we did not. So I am interested in what is the underlying psychological impetus for this. I can cite greed as it seems to have played such a central part in our psyche. This could be pertaining to the pleasure-pain mechanism which I have read a little about in so far as it drives certain addictions and revolves around constant desiring for something and never having quite enough of it as it's benefits-pleasures are temporary. Not to mention the practical benefits of income generation in terms of a better lifestyle and consequently higher social status. Even how a plethora of commercials and ads contain sensory cues that tempt us to consume. Also I can cite human narcissism in our pre-occupation with ourselves and our capacities and powers. Though population growth seems to have unique underlying practical reasons of it's own namely the inability to have an effective manner of birth prevention/control as well as the social and emotional benefits of having families. Finally do members see a connection between economic growth and populations growth not just in terms of allowing a larger population size but perhaps a common psychological connection.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Reasons mankind created this modern world

Unread postby ralfy » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 14:30:57

From what I remember, one of the goals was to ensure adequate food supplies, medicine, etc., for the world's population.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 14:41:31

Yes Ralfy, but could we not have done this basic survival with a simpler less giant economy? Of course that would assume a lesser population but again it is like the chicken or egg which came first. We developed via the Green revolution a great ability to produce food which begot this huge population. So why did we enable the Green revolution?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 15:03:59

It is just a natural part of history. Humans discovered fossil fuels, which made it possible to have a highly advanced civilization. We exploit whatever resources we have at our disposal to the best our ability, and our current civilization was created from the exploitation of oil at the best of our ability.

There is no reason why we created the modern world other than the fact that humans are opportunistic creatures. If you take any other creature with our ability to manipulate objects and give them fossil fuels, they will probably end up creating a civilization very similar to ours'.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 16:09:04

I think Desu it may go a little deeper then that. We seem driven by desires. Our history of domination, conquest, progress, achievement and growth all point to our innate mental abilities and how we seek to utilize these abilities. I surely find this admirable. In so much as we have created many good things and made much progress. However, at this period of time we find that in the most ironic of ways our progress now is bringing us ever closer to our own demise. So can we ever learn to live in a simpler manner and if so will this be a good thing? Or are we destined to create problems and solve these same in our endless pursuit of achievement and progress?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 16:26:16

Opposable thumb, big brain, frail body and lazy. Then, once you get on a roll it's hard to stop.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 17 Apr 2015, 16:28:20

:lol: :lol: like that
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ralfy » Sat 18 Apr 2015, 01:04:43

onlooker wrote:Yes Ralfy, but could we not have done this basic survival with a simpler less giant economy? Of course that would assume a lesser population but again it is like the chicken or egg which came first. We developed via the Green revolution a great ability to produce food which begot this huge population. So why did we enable the Green revolution?

I think adequate food, etc., were made possible because of the Green Revolution.

The problem likely stems from an industrial revolution coupled with consumer spending that became more prominent during the early part of the previous century. Thus, more households in the U.S. wanted automobiles, radios, etc. Eventually, many other countries followed.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sat 18 Apr 2015, 10:08:50

Sorry- I was just born into this mad system 44 years ago...I had nothing to do with planning it out. (Or the eventual consequences)
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 18 Apr 2015, 17:40:27

The Airplane game works best when there is lots of passengers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_game
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Sat 18 Apr 2015, 18:00:37

......I blame it all on the women , we were fine in the trees !
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion