Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Most oil intensive things you own?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Most oil intensive things you own?

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 21 Apr 2015, 13:21:58

What I mean by oil-intensive, I am talking about how much oil is used to construct the products you own. "Most oil intensive" means the things you own that required the most oil for construction. For my family, it would be the two cars I own. Remember the construction of a car (designed for seating 5 people) would require 20 to 30 barrels of oil. Next to the car it would probably by the following (from the most to least oil-intensive):

Flat Screen TV (42 inches wide)
Desktop Computer (it is very old and runs on Windows 2000). My mom is the primary user of it.
3 laptops (all three run on Windows 7) for 4 people (my mom, dad, sister and me)
3 video game consoles (PS3, Wii and Gamecube)
Individual pieces of clothing (yes even clothing is made of petrochemicals)
Portable Video Game Consoles (PSP, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color)
3 Cellphones (my mom doesn't have a cellphone, but everyone else does have one)

And virtually everything else I own is also made of petrochemicals or fossil fuels. But those things are the most oil-intensive things I own.

I ranked the Flat Screen TV as the second most oil-intensive thing because it is the second largest petrochemical product I own next to the two cars I own. The smaller the product typically the less oil was used to construct it.

For most people, they would have similar results. The most oil-intensive things they own is probably their car. And next to that would be the various electronic gadgets they own.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Open Topic Discussion