Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE General Motors Thread pt 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: GM Pensions Could Be Worthless

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Mon 13 Apr 2009, 17:48:01

What's the difference?

If the employees were investing their own wages in a 401K, that money would be protected in the case of a bankruptcy.

If the employer creates a pension that you never personally invest in, bankruptcy can wipe out your pension.

I'd say that's a non-negligible difference.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gt1370a » Mon 13 Apr 2009, 18:57:25

vision-master wrote:We are all in this togather. Why do you think your any different?

We are NOT in this together. The difference is, my generation doesn't have such a thing as a pension, and probably won't have social security either. Your generation expects us to keep working and paying so you can enjoy a standard of living you think you have a RIGHT to, just because you put your time in. Some of us are starting to wise up and say "no".
gt1370a
Coal
Coal

Unread postby deMolay » Mon 13 Apr 2009, 19:59:42

GT1370, you ungrateful whelp. After all we have done for you.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Mon 13 Apr 2009, 20:19:24

deMolay wrote:GT1370, you ungrateful whelp. After all we have done for you.

Yes. I say we print as much money as possible and make THEM pay it back. That'll teach 'em a lesson in gratitude!! :x
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby VMarcHart » Mon 13 Apr 2009, 20:37:55

deMolay wrote:GT1370, you ungrateful whelp. After all we have done for you.
For my own edification, what did your generation do for Gen Y? Thanks. (We might belong to the same generation, though.)
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Byron100 » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 11:41:12

Pretorian wrote:
Byron100 wrote:The real problem with this country is that the people don't have the backbone to demand what is rightfully theirs. Until that day comes, we as a people are going to have the screws put to them, over and over again. And that's a cryin' shame, too.

If I remember correctly , your dream is to handle your " disability" and countless age-related medical issues to the Canadian taxpayer. If Canadians will be stupid enough to let you in, would you consider all that welfare with free medical insurance rightfully yours too?

Heck yeah! To me, it's just a matter of converting Canada's vast and virtually unlimited natural wealth (oil, hydro, water, lumber, gold, diamonds, grain, etc, etc) into benefits for folks like me. What is so wrong with that?

It should be painfully obvious to you and others around here that there aren't nearly enough jobs around to keep everyone gainfully employed - so why not let the 15 or 20% of the population who love work so much (i.e., workaholics) work their asses off, and let the rest of us live out our lives in idyllic peace? And if those who work don't like everyone else mooching off of them, then by golly, don't work! I sure as hell don't...LOL. Thankfully there's still a lot of cows out there that need a milkin'...hehe. You just gotta get out there and find them, is all. :mrgreen:
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gnm » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 12:08:18

vision-master wrote:You bet yer ass the Boomer's will get SS. 78,000,000 ppl would out right revolt!

FYI: If'n it does collaspe, guess who's taken care of us, the youngsters, so deal wit it kids. :mrgreen:

Sure they'll get their check - But what it will buy will be increasingly problematic... :evil:

Deal with it? Not I smarty - Voluntarily reducing my income to the point where I'm not paying into your happy little ponzi scheme is where I'm going. [smilie=bootyshake.gif]

-G
gnm

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 12:48:23

gnm wrote:
vision-master wrote:You bet yer ass the Boomer's will get SS. 78,000,000 ppl would out right revolt!

FYI: If'n it does collaspe, guess who's taken care of us, the youngsters, so deal wit it kids. :mrgreen:

Sure they'll get their check - But what it will buy will be increasingly problematic... :evil:

Deal with it? Not I smarty - Voluntarily reducing my income to the point where I'm not paying into your happy little ponzi scheme is where I'm going. [smilie=bootyshake.gif]

-G

They got a 5.8% raise this last year. :P

Remember the Boomer's are the most powerful political group around. After all, millions of those senior exec's will be standing in line for their checks too. THUD! :P
vision-master

Unread postby gnm » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 12:55:18

vision-master wrote:They got a 5.8% raise this last year. :P

Remember the Boomer's are the most powerful political group around. After all, millions of those senior exec's will be standing in line for their checks too. THUD! :P

Too bad that didn't match actual inflation... You're losing ground......You go right on an enjoy bankrupting the children jackass...

-G
gnm

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:06:21

Byron100 wrote:
Pretorian wrote:
Byron100 wrote:The real problem with this country is that the people don't have the backbone to demand what is rightfully theirs. Until that day comes, we as a people are going to have the screws put to them, over and over again. And that's a cryin' shame, too.

If I remember correctly , your dream is to handle your " disability" and countless age-related medical issues to the Canadian taxpayer. If Canadians will be stupid enough to let you in, would you consider all that welfare with free medical insurance rightfully yours too?

Heck yeah! To me, it's just a matter of converting Canada's vast and virtually unlimited natural wealth (oil, hydro, water, lumber, gold, diamonds, grain, etc, etc) into benefits for folks like me. What is so wrong with that?

It should be painfully obvious to you and others around here that there aren't nearly enough jobs around to keep everyone gainfully employed - so why not let the 15 or 20% of the population who love work so much (i.e., workaholics) work their asses off, and let the rest of us live out our lives in idyllic peace? And if those who work don't like everyone else mooching off of them, then by golly, don't work! I sure as hell don't...LOL. Thankfully there's still a lot of cows out there that need a milkin'...hehe. You just gotta get out there and find them, is all. :mrgreen:

And what do you convert into benefits for yourself here in US? I wonder if there 1 American taxpayer who thinks he should provide for 40-year old deaf homos who don't want to work . Such a pity AIDS takes a while to knock your hooves off.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:32:47

gnm wrote:
vision-master wrote:They got a 5.8% raise this last year. :P

Too bad that didn't match actual inflation... You're losing ground......You go right on an enjoy bankrupting the children jackass...

-G

Better than no raise, paycut or job loss. :lol:

Quit the wild Military spending. :badgrin:
Last edited by vision-master on Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:33:58, edited 1 time in total.
vision-master

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:33:53

I hope this guy never makes it into Canada.

Pretorian wrote:
Byron100 wrote:
Pretorian wrote:

And what do you convert into benefits for yourself here in US? I wonder if there 1 American taxpayer who thinks he should provide for 40-year old deaf homos who don't want to work . Such a pity AIDS takes a while to knock your hooves off.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Byron100 » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:37:52

I've come to think that it won't be Peak Oil that'll bring down the US of A - it's people like you, spouting this kind of attitude that'll surely bring down the US from a world superpower to a 3rd world banana republic, and even that might be saying too much.

Meanwhile, I'll be sitting up in the Great White North watching the big picture show as I munch down on popcorn grown on the fertile fields of southern Ontario and drinking Molson beer brewed with deliciously clean Canadian water. And not a single tear of sorrow will be shed for you folk, either.

And since I'll be living in a society that actually cares for each other, I just might be in a position to give back to the community, safe and secure in the knowledge that I'll be taken care of in my old age, unlike like my feuding neighbors to the south.

And you wanna know why I don't work? The "work" I've done in my life was akin to spending time in the crazy house, and it wasn't like I was actually contributing to the good of the community. No thanks, I'll pass up on that, thank you very much. Good thing we had this nice little housing bubble a while back that provided me with some good old-fashioned tax-free cash...LOL. But hey, guess I was a total leech for buying low and selling high, huh? It's not like I actually had to work for that money. :roll:
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 13:58:52

HawkMan I hate constantly agreeing with you RE... really pisses me off.

+1

Its all going up in flames now, in the Greatest Bonfire of Paper Wealth in all of Recorded History.

http://depletion.blogspot.com/
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 14:39:07

Maddog78 wrote:I hope this guy never makes it into Canada.

Well, make yourself a favor, figure him out and let your immigration agency aware. After all how many 40 yo deaf faggots can possibly live in Atlanta?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 14:48:13

Aaron wrote:HawkMan I hate constantly agreeing with you RE... really pisses me off.

What should I do Aaron? Endeavor to be wrong more often?
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby gnm » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 15:57:42

vision-master wrote:Quit the wild Military spending. :badgrin:

Last I checked the boomers were the ones in charge... I sure as hell didn't vote for the various wars...

-G
gnm

Unread postby VMarcHart » Tue 14 Apr 2009, 18:04:10

Byron100 wrote:A promise is a promise...
A bad promise is a bad promise. Pensions are glorified Ponzi schemes. You need more suckers entering the game to satisfy the ever increasing payouts. It's unsustainable.

Byron100 wrote:And if they ever renege on Social Security in this country...
Be careful what you wish for.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Wed 15 Apr 2009, 06:47:00

Throw me a bone here guy...
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

THE General Motors Thread pt 3

Unread postby VMarcHart » Fri 01 May 2009, 10:28:02

Ludi wrote:
Cog wrote:One of the many steps towards power-down in our economy.
Have you quit your job to accelerate power-down?
Yep. Involuntary powerdown doesn't count.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion