Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Impressions of our not wise use of FF

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Impressions of our not wise use of FF

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 05 Jun 2015, 06:26:31

Just wish to create this post about how we have squandered, overused and misused fossil fuels. First in terms of squandered I do believe this to be the case in particular in the US. We could have early on invested in a massive mass transit system. Also, we could have created a much less diffused home to work deployment. Meaning every neighborhood required to have certain essential types of companies so that people would not need to commute too long to buy essential goods or services. If a cruise ship can do it why not our neighborhoods. I just see so many cars and car travel that just strikes me as crazy. By the way China is just as car crazy now. Now in terms of overuse, I believe so especially if we had from early on started the transition to renewables. In general the manufacture and consuming economy we created was too big, we could have created a more information type of economy much earlier then we did. Of course this huge consuming economy has been instrumental in our assault on Earth. Misuse is a combination of the first two plus some dubious decisions about use meaning our bloated Military, seriously who was the boogeyman we were so scared of. Our late implementation of recycling. Also, I am not a proponent of nuclear we should not have ever gone there. Plus our overuse of plastic products which are FF derived. So what are the views of others?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Impressions of our not wise use of FF

Unread postby Revi » Fri 05 Jun 2015, 10:04:28

People do what their culture tells them to do. Wasting fossil fuels is what our culture is about. Got some extra money? Buy a boat or a 4 wheeler or something. Use gas as recreation. We could have done a lot of things, but we have no idea what to do. As a culture we are really maladapted to what's coming. It's going to take a different mindset to survive what's coming. It will take a different culture. Central Americans and the Amish are two cultures I can think of that can probably figure it out.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ohanian » Sun 07 Jun 2015, 02:28:17

In things that do not matter,
we have one bazillion choices
Coke or Pepsi

In things that do matter a lot
we have no choices at all
Prevent the use/abuse of money in lobbying politicians
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 08 Jun 2015, 08:23:09

I agree. We are being told by the media we have in our faces every day that things are fine, and that our role in society is that of a "consumer". We are like ticks. We are fat and happy and reproducing on this giant dog we call the world. Just keep sucking blood out of it and hang on for the ride. The reality isn't much different...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion