Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Let's dig up dead people because they are racist

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Let's dig up dead people because they are racist

Postby Cog » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 06:44:36

pstarr wrote:I don't like the jerks getting free reign and stealing play time. They drive good ideas off the page. I never block anyone. It's like running away.

They apparently have never driven any of your ideas off the page. :lol:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Oneaboveall » Mon 25 Jan 2016, 02:25:35

This comment sums things up perfectly:

I wonder.... does Jamie Dimon (CEO of JP Morgan/Chase) give a rat's poop about this issue? How about Lloyd Blankenfein, head of Goldman Sux? Rex Tillerson, perhaps? You know, the CEO of Exxon Mobil? Has he weighed in on this issue? How about Hugh Grant, the alien life form that heads Monsanto? C. Douglas Mcmillon (Walmarts) maybe?

No? They don't give a damn? Why not? Because none of these stupid collateral issues affect what they are up to one iota on the bottom line. And what they are up to is impoverishing and disenfranchising the rest of us while they pillage, plunder and destroy the planet. They are perfectly happy to see you fuss about fetus flushing rights, trans-gendered reversed marriages, the right to own penis extensions, teenage alcoholism, black sensibilities, and the whole gaggle of hot-button, personal-obsessive issues that LARD the media and public consciousness. The more you fuss over these things, the less you will focus on what really matters and what really needs to get done.

In printing this garbage, the Guardian for all its quoth "progressivity" actually serves the useful function of preserving the status quo.

It was in response to this article, BTW:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... vid-mahler
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Postby Subjectivist » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 14:10:38

In related news,

At a February meeting, the progressive city council of Charlottesville, Virginia, voted to tear down two monuments erected almost 100 years ago to Confederate Generals Lee and Jackson and to erase all vestiges of the town’s Confederate heritage. Now, after lawsuits were filed to stop it, the city is looking to sell the statues off to the highest bidder.

After a series of contentious city town hall meetings where supporters of the region’s heritage and those wishing to whitewash history battled over the council’s decision, city officials decided not to back down from the initial decision to eliminate its historical parks.

The decision to remove the two statues and redesign Lee Park to eliminate General Robert E. Lee’s name was calculated at $300,000, according to the city. Likely the costs would be far higher.

By March, several organizations and 11 local citizens joined together to file a lawsuit against the city to stop the removal of the statues, according to The Cavalier Daily of the University of Virginia.

The plaintiffs, including the Virginia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Inc. and the Monument Fund, Inc., cited a list of reasons for filing the lawsuit. Chief among those reasons is their contention that the city is in violation of a state law preventing alteration of such monuments.

According to state law, it is illegal for local officials to tear down memorials to war veterans.

But now the city thinks it has a solution to its breach of state law. If the city can sell the statues to some other city or park that will maintain the historical integrity of the statues, officials think that might satisfy state law, according to Newsplex.

Still, the local activists who want to eliminate all history they do not like find the move unsatisfactory.

“I believe this is one time when justice triumphs historic preservation,” Councilor Kristin Szakos said. “Just like I would agree to tear down a historic home that is a danger to a neighborhood, I believe we should now allow for the removal of a statue whose message is offensive and negative to a principle our community holds dear.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... te-statue/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Postby Plantagenet » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 14:23:34

Subjectivist wrote:“I believe this is one time when justice triumphs historic preservation,” Councilor Kristin Szakos said. “Just like I would agree to tear down a historic home that is a danger to a neighborhood, I believe we should now allow for the removal of a statue whose message is offensive and negative to a principle our community holds dear.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... te-statue/[/quote]

This is the same crap that is going on today at college campuses. Liberals want to turn the city of Charlotte into one big "safe space", where no ideas or images are allowed that might offend sensitive liberal snowflakes.
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby Newfie » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 21:40:04

image.jpeg
Here is a statue in front of a NC county courthouse, Columbia, Tyrell County, NC. It was erected in 1912 or thereabouts.

In case you can't read the inscription it says.

"In appreciation of our faithful slaves."

BTW, Columbia appears to be the ONLY town in Tyrrell County. And iss a damn small town at that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Newfie » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 19:56:59

That's well said. The other mind game to play is to imagine yourself a researcher working on a PhD, from another planet. Imagine you have to epwrite a dissertation about the development of life on Earth. Try to get that dispassionate remove. Gets interesting, if you can do it. Most can not.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Plantagenet » Mon 24 Apr 2017, 13:10:11

New Orleans is removing a monument today because it reflects New Orlean's racist past.

Leftists pioneered the idea of "safe spaces" at universities. Now they are out to make everywhere else in the US into a safe space where they won't be "triggered."

Kiss our interesting and complex and wonderfully horrible US history bye bye---its all going to be "disappeared" by the Ds.

HEY HEY
HO HO
US HISTORY
HAS GOT TO GO!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby Tanada » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 15:14:03

It occurred to me today that this theme of tearing down the past has declined to almost nothing within six month of President Obama leaving office. Also there has not been a single riot in the last nearly two years since President Trump took the oath of office.

How much of this is the electoral turnover that took place at the time President Trump was elected? If the politicians who were pursuing these policies were booted out then the sudden silence makes a lot more sense, but I don't have the patience to look them all up and confirm that suspicion.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 16:08:51

pstarr wrote:Had it occurred to you that perhaps, even racists, or simple right-wingers would prefer not to be reminded of their own racist pasts.

There are all kinds of unfortunate things that happened in the past that people would prefer to not be reminded of.

But that is precisely why we shouldn't remove, erase, and blot out the historical record of what happened in the past. We need to learn from the past so we don't makes the same mistakes and do the same kinds of unfortunate things in the future.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Postby KaiserJeep » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 18:09:27

pstarr wrote:-snip-
Had it occurred to you that perhaps, even racists, or simple right-wingers would prefer not to be reminded of their own racist pasts. Not all racists are idiots.

Pete, read Tanada's comment and understand the import. Note also that while Cog may decry the removal of historical artifacts, I don't recall him ever saying anything that could be construed as supporting the institution of slavery.

Note also that the US Civil War was from 1861-1865, and that 153 years have passed in the US since anyone was either a slave owner or a slave.

If we have race riots during "left-wing" administrations like Obama's and then have no race riots during "right-wing" administrations like Trump's, perhaps the real racists are not the "right-wingers" but are the "left-wingers".

Food for thought. I started thinking such thoughts when I saw this woman:
Yamiche Alcindor, PBS White House reporter
......ask this man a question he refused to answer, but immediately called a "racist question":

It reminded me of one of the 10 things that George Carlin said you are not allowed to say in America. That would be that Blacks are more prejudiced than Whites.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby Newfie » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 20:07:06

Somewhere recently I read some media idol had to make amends because he quoted Churchill on something. Apparently it is no longer OC to quote Churchill because folks blame him for the Bengal famin during WWII.

Which reminds me, my wig line has disappeared and I can’t get it back.

It quoted Churchill.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby onlooker » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 20:49:18

Our evolution has been punctuated with much trauma. But, though we should not dwell on this painful past, neither should we forget it.
As someone said, those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it
So, basically agreeing with Plant
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Postby KaiserJeep » Thu 08 Nov 2018, 21:03:50

If it was up to me, I would find a spot near the statue and plaque above, and allow a local Black leader to have a plaque of his own. Whether he chooses to comment on the "faithful slaves" statement, or say something devisive of his own, or try to heal the rift, would be his choice.

However, I would leave the original staue and plaque intact. History is history, and the institution of slavery has been dead for 153 years.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby Newfie » Fri 09 Nov 2018, 06:58:06

KJ,
That was pretty much my thought.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tanada » Fri 09 Nov 2018, 08:30:50

I would fully support that solution as well, in fact that has been the logical solution from day 1. To me it is akin of Christmas and Hanukkah displays on public property being required to reserve space for people or atheists or other convictions to share their point of view. Whats good for one should be good for all and what act is bad for one individual diminishes us all. You can't avoid hurting someone else's feelings completely, but if you get a privilege then you should share it out for everyone to participate who wishes to.

If a historical monument offends you then you should have the right to erect a monument of your own to counter it, but not have the right to remove it.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Police Brutality Thread Pt. 2

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 22 Jun 2020, 13:18:59

A lot of people seeing Trump decline in the polls will not risk demonstrating now with Covid as they prefer to just wait him out. This pulling statues down is getting out of hand with statues of Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt being targeted. The vandals are not students of history. If they were they would know that TR got into political trouble for having Booker T. Washington (a black man) come to a White house dinner in 1901. The uproar kept that from happening again for thirty years.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Police Brutality Thread Pt. 2

Postby Ibon » Mon 22 Jun 2020, 14:44:42

vtsnowedin wrote:A lot of people seeing Trump decline in the polls will not risk demonstrating now with Covid as they prefer to just wait him out. This pulling statues down is getting out of hand with statues of Jefferson and Teddy Roosevelt being targeted. The vandals are not students of history. If they were they would know that TR got into political trouble for having Booker T. Washington (a black man) come to a White house dinner in 1901. The uproar kept that from happening again for thirty years.

Or that TR stood on ridge tops in the sierras with John Muir and enriched his soul with wilderness which gave birth to the conservation movement.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion