Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I apologize for being condescending about religion

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

I apologize for being condescending about religion

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 11:44:57

I remember a few months ago I made a thread where I said "Christianity and Islam are fucking bullshit". I apologize for being so condescending towards these religions because I believe some people on this forum might believe in these religions. The reason I was so condescending towards those religions was because I was in a bad mood, and I had no other way to express my anger. My anger was directed towards the most convenient scapegoat that was religion. While I deep down inside believe that many religions are superstitious nonsense, I tend not to be so condescending towards religion unless I'm in a bad mood. Normally I just say, "religion is just a theory. It isn't a fact. I don't believe in certain religions because there isn't enough proof for these religions".

I basically apologize for calling Islam and Christianity "fucking bullshit". I understand how calling those religions "fucking bullshit" offended some people that believe in those religions. I do not believe in any religions because they lack in proof. And I do believe certain religious beliefs are dangerous. But I should still not be so angry about religion. No point being angry about something. I fully understand religion, but I shouldn't be so angry about it even though I believe religion is one of the biggest scams in history.

I'm making this post mainly because I believe some of the mods on this site are religious, and they still remember that I viciously attacked these religions. I apologize for viciously attacking these religions, but that doesn't change the fact that I believe Islam and Christianity are scams. I believe you should apologize for a mistake you made if the person you offended still remembers how you offended them. If the person forgot that you offended them, then you have no reason to remind them that you offended them before.

Anyways, I hope you accept my sincere apology. I have no other reason to make this post.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: I apologize for being condescending about religion

Unread postby Pops » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 12:06:47

I banned you and I'm not religious at all, fairly anti-religion in fact.

I would make one suggestion that you can use in your daily life; when you make an apology, don't make a continuation of the insult a central feature.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 17:17:00

Desu, I can't speak as to why Pops banned you. I have no idea, but that's not the point. My point is not to apologize for voicing your opinions, but rather learn to do so tactfully. I'm not religious at all, and I didn't read the original post you're referring to, but I anticipate that I share quite a few sentiments with you about the entire concept of religion. However, I've learned not to be condescending about my personal feelings, especially on a site like this where the entire world is free to view what you have to say. As a matter of fact, reading posts here at PO, and formulating my responses, and using other people's ideas to develop a clearer understanding of my own thoughts, has taught me that religion (all religions) DO have a place in our world. I don't believe in any one of them, but the vast majority of people on this planet do believe in the existence of some deity. This is too easy an explanation, but the Pope's Encyclical got me to clearly see and understand how religion can, at times, be used as a very powerful tool for good in this world. Religion can be used as a directive to change behaviors for a larger, common cause.

Now, there are certainly bastardizations of all kinds of religions. Not far from me is a Catholic community that was excommunicated several decades ago because of something they taught, or for some manner in which they practiced their faith. Still, I play hockey with many of those guys, and they are the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. They're awesome on the ice, too!

Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said for the folks who fight for ISIL. Some variations of religion are beyond their own religion's redemption. Saying that, however, does not condemn the entirety of that religion. I'm pretty sure that Muhammad was a great teacher. I can also say the same thing about Jesus, or any of the prophets. Ditto for Eastern religions. Religions in general become religions because their teachings are attractive to lots of people. I have respect for all of them, and what they teach and stand for. Just because I don't share their religious beliefs does not mean that the religion is bad. Some practices of any religion are bad. I'm pretty sure no one expected the Spanish Inquisition.

Anyway, like a bunch of other old fogies here at PO, I officially turned 50 today. I guess that qualifies me to use what little wisdom I've learned through the years, and that is that life itself is a learning process. Unlike life, however, learning has no end. Take what you've learned, and try to make it of use to other people after you're gone.

Monty Python's got nothing on me!
Timo

Unread postby Cog » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 21:34:37

Go and sin no more.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 05 Jul 2015, 21:45:44

I would have thought your complete inability to have a conversation would be more of a concern to us (& Ma&Pa) than an adolescent rant on religion? Anyway blah on...
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby C8 » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 00:58:34

being banned IS a religious experience. Some invisible person changes your options. Pray to Pops.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 04:38:38

Its not actually very easy to get banned here. Being totally obnoxious & refusing to engage with moderators is a popular choice of method.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y320-U151 using Tapatalk
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 06:09:22

Some wisdom from the Dalai Lama:

(that one ^ is all the religions, and the better philosphies, in a nutshell. the "golden rule")

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:32:12

" It is a great insult to the collective intelligence and goodwill of humanity that a man who claims to be the fourteenth reincarnation of a virtually prehistoric Nepalese princeling is granted the attention that he is. Maybe the Dalai Lama should stick to his platitudinous advice-spewing (for him, Buddhism is no more than a collection of vaguely mystical aphorisms anyway), and the rest of us should get on with our lives. Perhaps he could restrict his sphere of activity to writing forwards to potboilers about meditation and self-help and the political and cultural establishment could stop deferring to an outstandingly successful fantasist and conman on such an elaborately bended knee."

Alas, there are no sacred cows on PO.com (or humans)

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4421553
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:33:27

Desu, nothing wrong with voicing your opinion. Just be careful to use expletives particularly in offensive on insulting ways. They are prohibited on this site and that is one reason I like this site.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:44:27

When you live in an affluent society where you can fine tune and satiate all your desires, this tends to develop a focus on self. Digital media has greatly exasperated this. Self indulgence, like materialism, does not provide a deeper sense of connection to others or toward your planet. This is what leads to frustration and bitterness. It leads to very degraded human social skills. You become angry easily, you insult others, you criticize and demean others point of view. Your compassion gets reduced to almost zero. You begin to seek negative attention because you are starved of real quality human contact. We can all easily recognize posters who come along here at times demonstrating these traits. Some of us move in and out of moments of more compassion and then clamp down again in bitterness. To make yourself vulnerable and to practice humility requires courage. In your self devised prison of narcissism you are an emperor of one and you dictate the rules. A lonely kingdom.

In a world crowded with lonely narcissists there is a growing need of mentors that encourage the opening of the heart and compassion. The Dalai Lama is such a mentor.

Each and every one of us can take some courageous steps toward the opening of the heart and compassion. Today I will carry this thought and awareness with me and make a conscious effort to practice kindness.

I left Mount Totumas 2 days ago and I am now in South Florida. Thoughts of compassion are easy when you are not disturbed in a temple on a mountain top. Now is the challenge, for I am surrounded by a sea of humanity whose ignorance is breathtaking.

Desu, this is your challenge. Yes, you are surrounded by a sea of humanity, many of whom live superficial lives. Superficial in the ways of the soul and superficial in not using their intelligence to see with clarity the problems our planet faces. It is so easy to write them off and retreat into your shell of despair. But this is a lonely self righteousness.

Because the ignorance out there is so great all the more reason for you to be a beacon of kindness instead of allowing the ignorance of others to control you as you retreat into your kingdom of one.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:45:50

Your chances of a first person response from this particular hominid is quite slim OL. He just rants, then if responding at all to his own thread respondents, addresses us like a prep class 3 minutes before the bell. I'm on the side around here that he is a troll, but I get why the mods mostly tolerate him- not for the quality of his points or discussion, but because he is provocative & weirdly on point often at first, he is prolific, (having to be restricted for starting piles of threads daily, never doing any background reading here before posting.) Its a failure to engage issue with SFA to do with religion.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:55:47

Ibon, I wouldn't rate TDM respect as a prerequisite for anything. I take exception to a requirement for some sheep like response to lofty platitudes from public figures in whatever uniform. To suggest somehow this is pathological? The sickness is not in which version of the tooth fairy people believe in, it is in a disconnect from humanity & real life coming about from too much viewing the world through a screen.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 07:59:15

SeaGypsy wrote:" It is a great insult to the collective intelligence and goodwill of humanity that a man who claims to be the fourteenth reincarnation of a virtually prehistoric Nepalese princeling is granted the attention that he is. Maybe the Dalai Lama should stick to his platitudinous advice-spewing (for him, Buddhism is no more than a collection of vaguely mystical aphorisms anyway), and the rest of us should get on with our lives. Perhaps he could restrict his sphere of activity to writing forwards to potboilers about meditation and self-help and the political and cultural establishment could stop deferring to an outstandingly successful fantasist and conman on such an elaborately bended knee."

Alas, there are no sacred cows on PO.com (or humans)

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4421553

Idolation is a tricky thing. Humans do need mentors and there is the tendency to idolize the messenger as guru when the task at hand is to take the message and incorporate it into your life. I was watching the documentary on Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead the other night and the segment on Jerry Garcia and how he suffered all this idolation from the crowds who projected on to him all these attributes which he didn't have. He was just playing his guitar after all. But all this fame and idolation contributed in the end to his heroin addiction.

It's not easy striking the balance being human. There are so many reasons out there to justify shooting down all the sacred cows but then in the end this orientation can lead to quite a lonely self righteousness as well.

Every single human, even those we hold to such lofty heights, carries the inherent weakness of walking around with this lizard brain on top of which sits this cerebral cortex. Compassion and selfishness swirling around in a toxic neurotic soup. It takes a lifetime of work to tame the beasts within.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:02:56

SeaGypsy wrote:Your chances of a first person response from this particular hominid is quite slim OL. He just rants, then if responding at all to his own thread respondents, addresses us like a prep class 3 minutes before the bell. I'm on the side around here that he is a troll, but I get why the mods mostly tolerate him- not for the quality of his points or discussion, but because he is provocative & weirdly on point often at first, he is prolific, (having to be restricted for starting piles of threads daily, never doing any background reading here before posting.) Its a failure to engage issue with SFA to do with religion.

We do not know who hides behind the screen do we? Can we ever really trust human contact traveling through a digital conduit?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:05:48

Mr. Desu, Sea Gypsy has thrown a challenge your way. Care to respond?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:06:27

First Ibon, I applaud this above sage post of yours. Just a thought, but taking these words of wisdom widespread would be one of the best things to happen to humanity ever. It really is an epiphany for me to really see how connections can be positive or negative. Even a recluse or spinster is connected yet in the wrong way. They are filled with mistrust and lack of empathy which is echoing what you stated Ibon. Perhaps this time in which we are all alive will provide the opportunity for genuine closeness as we contemplate how fate has put us all into the same boat of possible consequences and challenges. I will say Sea, that I hope the Mods do not ban Desu, he seems impulsive but we should practice with him kind patience at I think he will feel appreciative which I think can help him emotionally. Besides he took a positive step in saying I am sorry.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:07:02

I'm into religion Ibon, I enjoy it a lot actually, & am very fond of many people who are devotedly religious. However I am not attached to defending any particular religion & instinctively respond negatively to any attempt at hypnotism.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:13:16

OL, the Desu phenomena as already absorbed plenty of moderator time & energy ,& they have a consensus as usual & Des knows what it is. The rest of us are free to entertain ourselves meanwhile, as per the CoC & as per normal in Desu's threads.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 06 Jul 2015, 08:31:22

onlooker wrote: I will say Sea, that I hope the Mods do not ban Desu, he seems impulsive but we should practice with him kind patience at I think he will feel appreciative which I think can help him emotionally. Besides he took a positive step in saying I am sorry.

Onlooker, In Buddhism there is the saying that compassion is practiced while holding the sword of intelligence. Otherwise you throw pearls before swine.

Desu can be playing an elaborate game or perhaps is truly struggling. We do not know for we see not his body, his eyes, his physical presence in the room. All we have are his mind and words. And we know what a wily Fox the mind can be.

It is still worthy to throw pearls before swine because for in doing so 10 times even if 9 are playing a game and you reach 1 it is worth it.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion