Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

John Michael Greer Star Reach

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

John Michael Greer Star Reach

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 11:40:16

Bought it, read it in two days. A blend of myth, reasonable projection and some off the wall ideas for flavor. I liked it though it is about as far from Christian fiction as you can get without being hostile to Christianity.

The story is written as the diary of Trey, a ruinman, 400 or so years after the collapse of modern civilization. There are some elements of mythical story telling as you would expect from someone growing up in the culture as portrayed, very good story telling that makes the culture rounded out and real feeling rather than a flat cardboard dystopia. Trey has spent the last five years on a quest, and succeeded where everyone else in his profession before him failed. He sits down and writes the story of how he got to where he is, mixing then current events with the memories they bring to Mind in a connected series of flashback events not necessarily in chronological order. The first chapter seemed slow, but once I got into the book was a real page turner, it took me less than 48 hours to read it while still doing normal routine things, though I did stay at it last night until after midnite.

http://www.amazon.com/Stars-Reach-Novel ... 098437647X
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: John Michael Greer Star Reach

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 20:38:18

Reading it on my kindle now, so far nothing too weird or unbelievable 5 percent in.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 18 Jul 2015, 03:18:06

I have found Greer's story telling and capacity to narrate always excellent. Even though some may disagree with his viewpoints we should respect his deep insight into collapse dynamics and that he is just a good writer. Thanks for the link Sub.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby MD » Sat 18 Jul 2015, 04:13:50

I read it free online as he wrote, weekly by chapter throughout 2012, 2013

He closed the blog when it was done, after which I bought the kindle version.

Decent read. I suggest reading it slowly, one chapter at a time, as it was written.

He is a wordy wizard, after all. Lots of imagery.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Return to Book/Media Reviews