Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

If I was king of the world.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

If I was king of the world.

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 13:55:45

The optimum strategy at this point is:

Start sulphurization flights immediately.
Start rationing oil immediately.
Start building fission-fusion plants immediately(www.yottawatts.net).

Develop and implement methods of burning off clathrate deposits without releasing the methane.
Develop and implement Pure fusion plants like Steinhaus's mini-mike.
Develop and implement Heat resistant GM crops.
Develop and implement carbon fixing wind turbines.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: If I was king of the world.

Unread postby Pops » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:19:53

what does any of that have to do with peak oil?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:22:13

pstarr wrote:
Start sulphurization flights immediately.

What is that?

Suplurization is a last gasp attempt to prevent runaway global warming by essentially replicating a volcanic winter.

Start rationing oil immediately.

Who decides who gets the oil?

Only for essential purposes. IE fighting climate change and keeping ppl alive. If I was king I would decide.

Start building fission-fusion plants immediately(http://www.yottawatts.net)
Immediately? No testing stage?

We don't have a lot of time and all the major technical hurdles are solved.

Develop and implement methods of burning off clathrate deposits without releasing the methane.

How will CO2 not be released?

Co2 has a much lower green house effect per molecule.

Develop and implement Pure fusion plants like Steinhaus's mini-mike.

I assume this is an untested theoretical devise. Do these work for sure? What if the investment is a waste of time?

The theory is solved except for getting the fusion driver right. Which is hard but definitely doable we have achieved ignition with xrays in the past.

Develop and implement Heat resistant GM crops.

Impossible. Plant morphology and cellular function is a complex system. GMO success among higher plants are actually rather rare, only two (bT and roundup-ready varieties) show proven long-term commericial value.

I am a geneticist by training and I can pretty much guarantee you we could increase heat tolerance somewhat in major crop types.

Develop and implement carbon fixing wind turbines.

At what cost in pollution and energy?

We would have enough energy to do this because of the fission-fusion plants, see above.
Last edited by Tikib on Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:26:42, edited 1 time in total.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:24:33

Pops wrote:what does any of that have to do with peak oil?

You have an energy source dense enough and you can literally produce oil from the air. I say we generate as much energy as we can and then try and use it in the most efficient way possible to replace oil. In some instances this might be electrification and in others it might require synthetic oil.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:28:50

Solar is rapidly becoming cheaper than nuclear in areas with decent insolation, so barring some fusion breakthrough I'd go for something that doesn't leave a huge cost for decommissioning.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-07/buffett-scores-cheapest-electricity-rate-with-nevada-solar-farms

Warren Buffett’s Nevada utility has lined up what may be the cheapest electricity in the U.S., and it’s from a solar farm.

Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s NV Energy agreed to pay 3.87 cents a kilowatt-hour for power from a 100-megawatt project that First Solar Inc. is developing, according to a filing with regulators.

That’s a bargain. Last year the utility was paying 13.77 cents a kilowatt-hour for renewable energy. The rapid decline is a sign that solar energy is becoming a mainstream technology with fewer perceived risks. It’s also related to the 70 percent plunge in the price of panels since 2010, and the fact that the project will be built in Nevada, the third-sunniest state.

“That’s probably the cheapest PPA I’ve ever seen in the U.S.,” Kit Konolige, a utility analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence in New York, said Tuesday. “It helps a lot that they’re in the Southwest when there’s good sun.”

The power-purchase agreement for energy from First Solar’s Playa Solar 2 project was the cheapest offered to NV Energy this year for new power plants. The utility also agreed to pay 4.6 cents a kilowatt-hour for power from SunPower Corp.’s 100-megawatt Boulder Solar project, the best price offered last year.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:31:01

We need something much cheaper than both solar and current fission plants. We need something that is cheap enough that we can literally convert electricity into fuels. Fission-Fusion is the only technology that can produce that sort of energy return without further research.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:35:19

pstarr wrote:Davep/tikib, you do realize that electricity is not a transport fuel? Have either one of you actually ever been on an electric automobile? Train? Electric plane?

I was suggesting a replacement for an electrical generation technology with another. Don't blame me for the type of fuel, prostrate yourself in front of the King for that :)
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:40:31

pstarr wrote:
"I am a geneticist by training and I can pretty much guarantee you we could increase heat tolerance somewhat in major crop types. "

How? How would prevent denaturing RUBP carboxylase? Perhaps force the stomata open without curtailing dehydration?
Acutally there is a simpler solution: more water.

I would eradiate the seeds to increase the mutation rate then grow them in a high temperature environment and keep the survivors. And repeat slowly increasing the temperature. You would want to do it with the cereal plant that can survive high temperatures best already really.
After every generation you would want to send the best performing variants to replace the crops of those suffering most from climate change.

In parallel with this effort I would also do it the top down way. There are varients of RUBP carboxylaxe in bacteria and other plants species which survive higher temperatures, I would try and introduce them to crop plants.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:41:56

pstarr wrote:Davep/tikib, you do realize that electricity is not a transport fuel? Have either one of you actually ever been on an electric automobile? Train? Electric plane? Electric ship?

Electric trains are very common in Europe. So yes I have.

And as I said if you have an energy source dense enough you can create ethane from the air.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:44:01

Tikib wrote:

You have an energy source dense enough and you can literally produce oil from the air. I say we generate as much energy as we can and then try and use it in the most efficient way possible to replace oil. In some instances this might be electrification and in others it might require synthetic oil.

So we don't really need oil?

You don't need to be king then, it will happen automatically. Such is the magic of the market.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:45:13

Pops wrote:
Tikib wrote:

So we don't really need oil?

You don't need to be king then, it will happen automatically. Such is the magic of the market.

The market is flawed. By the time we need a replacement for oil enough we won't have the energy to produce it.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:50:02

pstarr wrote:Davep, these kinds of discussions (which are rife these days on peakoil.com) always start with an erroneous assumption: that we can jump-start an EV infrastructure. But that is not possible as we lack necessary time, money and political will. It's been argued we don't even have enough stored energy for such a construction project.

I have no idea how much energy is left and nobody knows exactly how much is left. But heres the deal I am 99% certain that fission-fusion will give 50+ eroi. So we can use the energy produced by 1 plant to build the next one etc. But if we never build one we will be trapped at a lower energy level.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:51:36

pstarr wrote:Davep, these kinds of discussions (which are rife these days on peakoil.com) always start with an erroneous assumption: that we can jump-start an EV infrastructure. But that is not possible as we lack necessary time, money and political will. It's been argued we don't even have enough stored energy for such a construction project.

Dude, I was just playing along with the King's premise. And political will (and hence money) would suddenly change under King Tikib anyway.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:53:14

The point I am trying to make really is that are technologies that could save us from peak oil/climate change if only there was political will to implement them.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tikib » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 14:54:48

pstarr wrote:
Tikib wrote:I would eradiate the seeds to increase the mutation rate then grow them in a high temperature environment and keep the survivors. And repeat slowly increasing the temperature. You would want to do it with the cereal plant that can survive high temperatures best already really.
After every generation you would want to send the best performing variants to replace the crops of those suffering most from climate change.

At what temperature does photosynthetic activity slow down?

In parallel with this effort I would also do it the top down way. There are varients of RUBP carboxylaxe in bacteria and other plants species which survive higher temperatures, I would try and introduce them to crop plants.

Have you attempted similar modifications? Bred new phenotypes?

No I havn't but if I was king I would appoint a top expert to do it.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion