Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I don't want to be a doomer but I am

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

I don't want to be a doomer but I am

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 14:44:42

Pretty much the only solutions to the combined problems of peak oil and climate change at this point are:

Supherization of the atmosphere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratosph ... ngineering)
Switching to final generation nuclear technologies like fusion(fission-fusion-design-t71622.html)
and MSR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_reactor)
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: I don't want to be a doomer but I am

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 15:56:24

edit
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby careinke » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 16:42:42

Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 16:51:07

Its far too late for that technology.

Trees can't provide us enough energy or reduce temperatures enough to save us in time.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ennui2 » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 16:53:37

Last I checked, trees are drying out, burning up, and getting eaten by invasive bugs. Due to the biosphere collapsing like this, trying to reforest the planet would be like trying to pour water into a leaky bucket.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 17:26:45

You will be much happier when you stop being a doomer. Trust me on this.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 17:44:22

If you still believe there are any solutions, you are not enough of a doomer yet. Focus on your personal preparations.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Apneaman » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 18:10:58

Don't listen to the Cog-sucker or any other denier/disruptor troll. It's too late to turn back now anyway because you cannot un-know what you know or un-see what you have seen. To try and pretend otherwise is the height of dishonesty to yourself and you would only be pretending to be happy. Given our inherent need for status, there are probably more silent doomers than those of us who have come out of the closet. I think the majority of people who regularly read blogs do not even comment (I'll see if I can find my link to support).

NOAA Shows June of 2015 Smashed All Prior Heat Records; El Nino Keeps Strengthening; Hothouse Mass Casualties Strike Europe, Japan

"Under an oppressive human fossil fuel emission, the world just keeps getting hotter and hotter, the 2015-2016 El Nino just keeps looking ever more monstrous, and reports of tragic, heat-related, mass casualty events just keep rolling in."

https://robertscribbler.wordpress.com/2 ... ope-japan/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Lore » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 18:29:23

pstarr wrote:Actually trees and marijuana plants greatly benefit from extra CO2. I should know: northern California douglas fir and redwood forests are the most productive in the United States. :)

Works great in a controlled greenhouse, but too much CO2 may actually retard growth in nature.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tikib » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 18:51:02

I am mostly a doomer because of climate change. I see Peak oil as a solved problem now I know how easy fusion is.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Pops » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 19:01:39

Apneaman wrote:Don't listen to the Cog-sucker ...

Can it.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Lore » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 19:01:59

You can't isolate CO2 as the only factor in plant growth. The implications of more CO2 in the atmosphere brings with it more problems.

This is from a recent study introduced last month.

Sorry, “skeptics”: Global warming may not be so great for plant life after all

Climate change is already a heavily charged issue, fraught with political tension. But complicating the mix are a slew of misconceptions about exactly how it will affect the planet and its inhabitants.

One confusion involves plant growth. Some skeptics have argued that rising carbon dioxide levels could actually benefit agriculture, and in fact, research shows that rising temperatures and more carbon dioxide can be a boon to plants — up to a point. But that’s not the whole story, according to researcher Camilo Mora, a professor of geography at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. And in a new paper, published today in the journal PLOS Biology, he and his colleagues attempt to set the record straight.

The study examines not only the effects of rising temperatures, but also how solar radiation and water availability impact plant productivity — specifically, their effects on the number of “suitable growing days” for plants worldwide. The researchers looked at these variables under several different climate change scenarios: The worst of these is the “business-as-usual” trajectory, which is the amount of warming the planet will experience if humans do nothing to cut down on carbon emissions. The scientists also evaluated scenarios where there was a strong or moderate reduction in emissions.

The results indicate that climate change may not be the net positive to plants that some prior research has suggested. If humans allow global warming to go on unmitigated under a business-as-usual scenario, the Earth could lose a significant number of suitable growing days per year by the end of the century. And that’s bad news for people as well as plants, with the potential for widespread food shortages and economic downturns.

On the other hand, strong and even moderate efforts to cut down on global carbon output could reduce the impact of climate change and hardly hurt plant growth. The study underscores the importance of heading off climate change, says Mora, the paper’s lead author, while providing a look at what could happen if we don’t.

The researchers are among the first to analyze how factors aside from temperature—including sunlight and water—affect plant growth, says Steven Running, senior author of the paper and regents professor of ecology at the University of Montana.

For example, it makes sense that global warming will extend the growing season in cold places at high latitudes. But when you factor in less sunlight in these regions, which plants also need to grow, you find that the number of growing days added isn’t actually that high. High northern latitudes get less light in the winter due to the Earth’s axial tilt, and no amount of warming can change that. In this case, limited light becomes the factor that cuts the growing season short, even if temperatures continue to rise.

Some water-scarce areas may experience similar trade-offs, says Running. If a high-latitude area is short on water and runs out, the plants are going to suffer even if temperatures are improving for them. Taking these factors into account has helped the authors come up with a more realistic, if less optimistic, view of how climatic changes will affect growing seasons around the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ener ... after-all/
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 19:30:07

pstarr wrote:
Lore wrote:You can't isolate CO2 as the only factor in plant growth.

Apparently you didn't look at the study (a A synopsis.) The study did isolate C02 as the only factor in plant growth. And it verified that an essential nutrient nitrogen was uptooked :) in greater proportion to the greater amounts of additional CO2. And it is all good for the soil.

Zak said that their results indicate that the extra carbon dioxide allowed trees to grow more small roots and “forage” more successfully for nitrogen in the soil. Additionally, the rate at which microorganisms released nitrogen back to the soil, as fallen leaves and branches decayed, increased.

Increased CO2 is even good for the ecosystem. wahoo!

Until someone somewhere convinces me otherwise . . . that the Zac study is bogus and we are all going to die . . . then I have to root (get it? root? like a plant?) for additional plant growth to mitigate AGW. Plus peak oil is underway, if one hasn't noticed. That by itself will eventually (most likely sooner than later) send us back to the pre-industrial world made by hand with no more smelly FF, just the beautiful aroma of patchouli oil :)

So, what you're saying is that all the factors this latest study I presented brings to light, doesn't count?

It's pretty obvious that in cases like the tropics and the South American rain forest drying out that no amount of CO2 is going to help.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby kiwichick » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 19:41:57

@ pstarr

being intimately involved with the ag sector I can assure you no one is even thinking of co2 as a fertilizer

the top 3 are ( in New Zealand ) Phosphate, Nitrogen and Potassium

after that try Calcium, Magnesium, Sulpher and Sodium

then you would move to the trace elements

get all that right , add sunshine and rain and you should get a good result

I don't see co2 in that mix
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion