Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Windows 10 in 2 days

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Windows 10 in 2 days

Unread postby PEAKINT » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 17:36:25

TEOT Computer WAWKI

i'm staying with windows 7 forever

https://archive.org/details/Windows7cus ... ons_201507
PEAKINT
Wood
Wood

Re: Windows 10 in 2 days

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 18:17:12

Well at least you aren't one of those people who wants to keep running Windows XP!
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby fleance » Mon 27 Jul 2015, 22:29:01

I might consider the upgrade though I'm satisfied in windows 8.1.
fleance
Wood
Wood

Unread postby MD » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 02:49:58

DOS 6.22 forever!

I didn't stop running my last DOS application until 2010.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby davep » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 03:43:14

I'm upgrading an 8.1 laptop, but will be keeping my Win7 desktop.

I heard that Win10 shares wifi passwords, which sounds rather bizarre. But apparently it can be disabled http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/209208-windows-10s-new-wifi-sense-shares-your-wifi-password-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts. It seems a weird thing to switch on by default.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PEAKINT » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 19:03:27

davep wrote:I'm upgrading an 8.1 laptop, but will be keeping my Win7 desktop.

I heard that Win10 shares wifi passwords, which sounds rather bizarre. But apparently it can be disabled http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/209208-windows-10s-new-wifi-sense-shares-your-wifi-password-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts. It seems a weird thing to switch on by default.

Want to remove the ads from Solitaire in Windows 10? That'll be $1.49 a month
http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-re ... 9-a-month/
PEAKINT
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Withnail » Tue 28 Jul 2015, 19:08:34

Do people still get excited about new operating systems?

Personally I avoid them until I'm forced to change.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby davep » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 02:37:53

Withnail wrote:Do people still get excited about new operating systems?

It depends. XP and Win2003 Server are no longer being supported. They're going to be great for testing hacking skills on. I suggest you decide you're forced to change at the latest when your OS is no longer supported for bugs/vulnerabilities (unless you never go on the internet with it).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby sjn » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 09:29:33

Never understood why everybody sticks with Windows. I can somewhat understand it from a corporate point of view, assuming they get a very good deal with Microsoft; which the biggest corporations can. "Hard-core PC gamers", I can understand. But, regular home users? What's the draw? I've been using Linux since '95, before that I used non-PC hardware since the early 80's, so I've never been drawn in, just used Windows at various employers on occasion, and in the process of fixing other people's PCs.
sjn
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Withnail » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 09:40:09

davep wrote:
Withnail wrote:Do people still get excited about new operating systems?

It depends. XP and Win2003 Server are no longer being supported. They're going to be great for testing hacking skills on. I suggest you decide you're forced to change at the latest when your OS is no longer supported for bugs/vulnerabilities (unless you never go on the internet with it).

I'm on Windows 7 and it seems really reliable and easy to use.

Hope I can keep it for a few more years.
Withnail
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 10:10:39

I think we passed the point of utility years and years ago for most people.
I'm on Macs and run Adobe programs and only upgraded to a new laptop last year to get mobile. All my programs run fine on this old '07 iMac and I only upgraded to it because Adobe needed the (then) new OS — which needed the new hardware.

Best thing that ever happened to me was good PDFs. I can tell people I don't do Windows and mean it!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 10:26:03

Windows 3.1 on my 386 still works fine for me.
Timo

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 15:40:14

sjn wrote:Never understood why everybody sticks with Windows. I can somewhat understand it from a corporate point of view, assuming they get a very good deal with Microsoft; which the biggest corporations can. "Hard-core PC gamers", I can understand. But, regular home users? What's the draw? I've been using Linux since '95, before that I used non-PC hardware since the early 80's, so I've never been drawn in, just used Windows at various employers on occasion, and in the process of fixing other people's PCs.

In the real world, ordinary folks don't want to have to be OS experts, and they like their computers to (mostly) work.

Every serious non-computer expert user I've talked to which was advised to use some version of Linux has a tale to tell, but does NOT use Linux in anyform. When trying Linux they found that they couldn't do some major function they wanted (like online brokerage, banking, etc). THEN they found the upgrade/patch/driver/fix they supposedly needed to fix the problem wouldn't install due to some obscure detail that the non-Geeks were helpless to fix. (Then they went back to Windows and continued with their computing life).

It's easy to claim that "random OS blah-blah version magic-tek-9" will solve the world's compute problems. Real world results vary wildly however, and generally not in a good way.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 15:52:29

To me, an active user of PC's since 1982, DOS and then Windows, things have gotten so bad that:

1). I always keep at least two completely viable PC's able to do the main things I want available. (This is so when one breaks or gets compromised, I have another reliable PC to use while I sort out the problem). Luckily, you can get a solid computer for all but high end gaming for $500 or less now.

2). I only buy a new OS with a new PC. I've been buying Win 7 since it came out, shunning the latest PC choices not to have to fool with Win 8.x, Metro, etc.

3). Since Win 10 appears to be a Win 7 / 8.x hybrid with a Start button and some features that recent Macs have, I'll try Win 10 the next time I want a PC. That way, if it's a disaster I'm only out some time.

As for the latest OS. Why? So I can waste a bunch of time figuring out what no longer works and how to navigate around and do stuff via the latest arbitrary interface and location changes they made. WHY would I WANT to do that?

Yeah, some day if they, say, drop support on Win 7 and Win 10 proves to be solid -- OK, I'll do that. I used to look forward to a new OS (DOS 5, Win 3.1, Win 95) for actual useful features. Now I just want them to leave me alone.

All the OS patching for security (and other) flaws reminds me of auto dealers. I do NOT like paying them $hundreds to download some patch via WIFI because their software was defective. This is no different to me than if they sold me a part that quit working on EVERY car, and refused to recall that.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby davep » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 17:09:27

Every serious non-computer expert user I've talked to which was advised to use some version of Linux has a tale to tell, but does NOT use Linux in anyform. When trying Linux they found that they couldn't do some major function they wanted (like online brokerage, banking, etc). THEN they found the upgrade/patch/driver/fix they supposedly needed to fix the problem wouldn't install due to some obscure detail that the non-Geeks were helpless to fix.

With modern distros and HTML5, anyone using a computer mainly for browsing should be fine. The days of proprietary plugins such as Flash are limited, so any modern browser should suffice. It's when you get into more creative stuff that it gets harder to find decent open source alternatives.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby davep » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 17:12:23

All the OS patching for security (and other) flaws reminds me of auto dealers. I do NOT like paying them $hundreds to download some patch via WIFI because their software was defective.

I've been around since the DOS days too, but that statement is frankly bizarre. Over the past decade or so, Microsoft have taken security very seriously to the point where we're recently finding far more vulnerabilities in the likes of OpenSSL than Windows variants. Why you wouldn't want to patch your system to keep it secure is beyond me. It sounds more like you've got a bad internet deal than anything else.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 20:12:05

I always wait for a while before I upgrade an OS. Sometimes years. I avoid the major flaws and patches that the early adopters always encounter.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 29 Jul 2015, 22:58:35

davep wrote:
All the OS patching for security (and other) flaws reminds me of auto dealers. I do NOT like paying them $hundreds to download some patch via WIFI because their software was defective.

I've been around since the DOS days too, but that statement is frankly bizarre. Over the past decade or so, Microsoft have taken security very seriously to the point where we're recently finding far more vulnerabilities in the likes of OpenSSL than Windows variants. Why you wouldn't want to patch your system to keep it secure is beyond me. It sounds more like you've got a bad internet deal than anything else.

Well, first, I see I said WIFI instead of firewire. My bad on that (senile old man stuff).

Second, what I see as a Win 7 user is that periodically, without warning, Windows hijacks my PC for perhaps 30 minutes (between shutdown and bootup time) to add 20 to 30 Windows "fixes". And that when I look at the nature of the fixes, a LOT of them are security related.

Now, if it's Microsoft's practice to have employees say "we're recently finding" the problem is someone ELSE's fault -- fine. Welcome to politics. :roll: Just don't expect people who have spent 40ish years around hardware and software to be impressed.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby davep » Thu 30 Jul 2015, 04:11:24

You're probably best off controlling when Windows installs them yourself (so tell Windows to let you know when stuff needs installing, you can then select the stuff you want and un-select the stuff you don't in your own time), so that they can be installed when you've finished with the computer for the day. But it'll still take a bit longer on the next boot. Obviously this depends if you have admin control or not (and it's not a work machine).

Now, if it's Microsoft's practice to have employees say "we're recently finding" the problem is someone ELSE's fault -- fine.

I was referring to Linux bugs as opposed to the old-school blue screen of death "third-party graphics bugs". We can blame MS for a lot of things, but not that.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Thu 30 Jul 2015, 05:55:44

Cog wrote:I always wait for a while before I upgrade an OS. Sometimes years. I avoid the major flaws and patches that the early adopters always encounter.

Well, being retired, I can afford to be on the bleeding edge sometimes. I installed Win 10 last night. I like the new OS and Edge. Now if I can only get the sound to work............ 8O
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion