Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Russia is heating the world

Russia is heating the world

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:32:01

I have been thinking about this for a long time and I think Russia is deliberately trying to heat the world. Russia is the only developed nation that has built no solar or wind power.

I think Putin sees it in his strategic interest to warm up Russia and he doesn't care what it does to the rest of the world.
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Russia is heating the world

Unread postby Cog » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:38:20

You might want to think about this a bit longer than a long time. Russia is using the resources that are available to it. They hardly have money to waste on solar and wind. Only the West has the time and money for such endeavors and only by huge subsidies.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tikib » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:42:01

Wind power is now competitive in a lot of areas. Look how much of it the Chinese are building...
Tikib
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 10:48:35

Gather up a crusade and go teach them who's boss, sunshine.

BTW, genius, the US and Canada burn more fossil fuels than Russia:

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/emis/nam.html

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/emis/rus.html

As of 2010 Russia produced under 0.5 billion tons of carbon while the US and Canada produced about 1.7 billion tons.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 11:18:18

"Wind power is now competitive in a lot of areas. Look how much of it the Chinese are building...". So a country that produces a lot more fossil fuels then it consumes ignores the alts and a country that consumes more fossil fuels then it produces is moving towards the alts. What a shock. LOL.

Some alts might be becoming competitive with NEW sources of fossil fuels. But they will never be competitive with existing ff production which is much cheaper the any alt or new ff development.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 11:18:43

Tikib wrote:Wind power is now competitive in a lot of areas. Look how much of it the Chinese are building...

Compare the GDP of the Chinese and the Russians.

**Edit on second thought, just read Rockman's post above. It answers the question correctly.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 12:10:55

The central government in Moscow has re-asserted its control over much of Russia's economy. All decisions in Russia, like whether or not to install wind power, aren't made on the basis of economics----they are dictated by the current thinking of the central government authorities. Irrational economic policies in Russia are nothing new---when I visited the USSR at the end, some nameless bureaucrat had decreed that bread should cost exactly the same in the smallest village in Kamchatka and it did in Moscow and another nameless bureaucrat had decreed that the transportation schedules for the country must all be run on one time zone---Moscow time, of course.

Russia will install wind power eventually. When Putin changes his mind, or when the next tin-pot dictator takes over, the policy of the central government may change and wind power will be installed.

Wind power, Russian style
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:49:18

Tikib wrote:I think Putin sees it in his strategic interest to warm up Russia and he doesn't care what it does to the rest of the world.

Man, this is common knowledge. Everyone knows that Pu is secretly heating the world in order to force people to use more air-conditioners, to boost energy consumption and prices, and get more buck for his oil.

He realized that this became too obvious and took Crimea, where large wind farms operate, to demonstrate that he was a strong alts supporter and thus conceal his evil intentions. Thankfully, he cannot fool the vigilant among us.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:54:45

Plantagenet wrote:when I visited the USSR at the end, some nameless bureaucrat had decreed that bread should cost exactly the same in the smallest village in Kamchatka and it did in Moscow and another nameless bureaucrat had decreed that the transportation schedules for the country must all be run on one time zone---Moscow time, of course.

Looks like whenever you come with a visit, nameless bureaucrats go insane and issue weird decrees. Please do not come with visits, or at least tell us in advance so that we could prepare for the consequences.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 14:56:41

Tikib wrote:I have been thinking about this for a long time and I think Russia is deliberately trying to heat the world. Russia is the only developed nation that has built no solar or wind power.

I think Putin sees it in his strategic interest to warm up Russia and he doesn't care what it does to the rest of the world.

Look in the mirror. We're ALL heating the world -- some more than others, of course.

According to "The Conundrum", a thought provoking look at AGW and real world facts of math and physics (which I've just read), it's consumption (which the vast majority of us maximize relative to our available income and borrowing power) which is the main problem. Which means:

1). Countries like the US are FAR bigger culprits than Russia. And China is destined to take the lead there.

2). People (and countries) use what they have available (and ALL they have available). The enemy is people. And technology producing savings leads to more consumsumption, and GHG's.

3). The problem is actually that technology makes things TOO CHEAP -- so people consume more of them. You will NOT solve that problem with more technology. It's a social problem.

4). So, it would appear that long term, we're screwed. Blaming party "X" only serves to obscure the problem, as it's easy for all the bad actors to point fingers.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 15:01:49

GASMON wrote:Russia certainly has a lot of "World Heaters".

Gas

It's hard to imagine many people having a net positive feeling towards their leaders due to such a parade (phallic symbols notwithstanding).

So I presume the purpose is to actually inspire fear?

Like the modern US war on drugs, war on privacy, jail anyone the government wants and constantly erode civil liberties is surely to inspire fear (since IMO, any modicum of respect for the US being the "good guys" is long gone)?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:42:13

Tikib wrote:I have been thinking about this for a long time and I think Russia is deliberately trying to heat the world. Russia is the only developed nation that has built no solar or wind power.

I bet Putin is lying awake at night worrying about those German farmers who "own" wind turbines. Thats a game changer.

Or the Frenchies with their new nuclear reactor designs that lead to delays.

Then there is the Shitty of London, a money laundering dung hole pretending to be a super power.

And of course Scamerica, with their albanian pyramid money schemes.

Yeah, Putin is sweating alright.
Last edited by StarvingLion on Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:49:50, edited 1 time in total.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:47:16

Yes, North Americans and Chinese are burning more ffs collectively. But it's not an insane idea to think that the Russian hierarchy have (or at least have had) insane ideas about intentionally heating up the planet: http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/01/18/the ... he-arctic/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:48:03

Outcast_Searcher wrote:It's hard to imagine many people having a net positive feeling towards their leaders due to such a parade (phallic symbols notwithstanding).

So I presume the purpose is to actually inspire fear?

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 16:51:43

More on earlier USSR plans (as well as those of the US) to intentionally geo-engineer the planet to melt Arctic sea ice: https://www.aip.org/history/climate/RainMake.htm
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 17:11:39

You're all going to die.

http://www.engineerlive.com/content/21600

"Coal-fired power in Asia will rise to 1,464,000 MW in 2020 up from 918,000 MW this year. This will account for an increase in CO2 of 2.6 billion tons."

"Any impact of renewable energy in Asia is only likely to happen after 2020."

2020: "Any impact of renewable energy in Asia is only likely to happen after 2025"
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 17:28:45

"You're all going to die."

Well, that's a pretty reliable prediction! :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby StarvingLion » Sat 01 Aug 2015, 23:30:40

Russia is conquering the world with carbon-free energy, and not heating the world.

Russia has sold a large number of nuclear reactors to various nations during the last half of 2014 and the first half of 2015, which indicates Russia is doing business as usual, despite sanctions. Is this how “isolating Russia” is meant to work?
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Count ... O-S/Russia–Nuclear-Power/

Country………. Qty………Capacity, MW……..Cap. Cost, $billion
Turkey……………4…………..1200…………………..20
Jordan……………2………….1000…………………..10
Hungary………….2………….1200…………………..10.6
Iran………………..9………….1000……………………45
Egypt……………..4………….1200……………………20
India……………..12………….1000……………………40
China……………..2………….1000……………………20
Nigeria……………4………….1200……………………20
South Africa…….8………….1200……………………50
Saudi Arabia….16………….1200………………….100
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ulenspiegel » Sun 02 Aug 2015, 11:42:15

OMG, you really believe what you write, Lion?

Russia is always good in announcing the sells of NPPs, however, shows, a much much worse perfomance building the stuff. :-)

It is a save bet that of the 63 reactors above less than 20 will actually be built. :-)
Ulenspiegel
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate