Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Time Goes "Doomer"

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Time Goes "Doomer"

Unread postby ennui2 » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:10:07

This article is the kind of post I used to often seen in the planning forum here.

In other words, where to live to survive climate change chaos.

http://time.com/3964807/climate-change-resilience/

A pretty ominous sign, and why I'm more worried about AGW than PO.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Re: Time Goes "Doomer"

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:36:36

The Northernmost states of North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming ... the region faces few other potentially devastating challenges.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 13:56:56

The Northernmost states of North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming ... the region faces few .... potentially devastating challenges.

North Dakota had a hard time dealing with an influx of a few thousand people trying to get jobs in the Bakken. Do you really think these areas are going to be able to handle immigration by millions of people fleeing sea level rise and climate change? :lol:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:04:59

I think one stands a much better chance of surviving and dealing with PO then Climate Change. PO will be something that society as a whole can sort of mitigate or adapt too and a person can make plans to get off the grid. With the extreme effects of climate change their is NO adopting by either individuals or society. So you could say PO is Doom Light and CC is Doom Heavy 8O
Last edited by onlooker on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:06:03, edited 1 time in total.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:05:17

I think Keith was talking about the long overdue eruption of the Yellowstone mega-volcano. This entirely natural event will eclipse mankind's feeble effect upon world climate in the first half-day of the eruption, then will spin the planet into a glacial age that will trap so much water as ice that the continental shelf will be the new shoreline, and the ice will last for tens of thousands of years.......leaving a narrow band of human-habitable temperate climate desert terrain around the equator.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Timo » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:25:56

KaiserJeep wrote:I think Keith was talking about the long overdue eruption of the Yellowstone mega-volcano. This entirely natural event will eclipse mankind's feeble effect upon world climate in the first half-day of the eruption, then will spin the planet into a glacial age that will trap so much water as ice that the continental shelf will be the new shoreline, and the ice will last for tens of thousands of years.......leaving a narrow band of human-habitable temperate climate desert terrain around the equator.

Bring it on! I've got the Champagne.
Timo

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:38:41

I have the balloons and noise blowers 8) :-D
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 15:43:09

Great Lakes states never get any love in these projections. Largest freshwater source in the world. What's not to like?
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 16:21:24

KaiserJeep wrote:I think Keith was talking about the long overdue eruption of the Yellowstone mega-volcano. This entirely natural event ...
Also from TIME :lol: :
How Climate Change Leads to Volcanoes (Really)
Jan. 29, 2015
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 16:35:51

That article is pure speculation without any sources. Personally, I think plate tectonics causes volcanoes, and volcanoes far outpace the feeble effects of FF burning in driving CC.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 16:46:53

jesus_of_suburbia wrote:Great Lakes states never get any love in these projections. Largest freshwater source in the world. What's not to like?

Detroit and Chicago! :P
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby davep » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 16:52:25

KaiserJeep wrote:That article is pure speculation without any sources. Personally, I think plate tectonics causes volcanoes, and volcanoes far outpace the feeble effects of FF burning in driving CC.

But we have no idea when it's going to blow, and nothing we can do to mitigate it. With AGW we do and we can.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Lore » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 16:57:54

davep wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:That article is pure speculation without any sources. Personally, I think plate tectonics causes volcanoes, and volcanoes far outpace the feeble effects of FF burning in driving CC.

But we have no idea when it's going to blow, and nothing we can do to mitigate it. With AGW we do and we can.

A diversion, worry more about the things you can control and less about those things you can't.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 17:25:13

Lore wrote:
davep wrote:

A diversion, worry more about the things you can control and less about those things you can't.

And? I can (and) do worry about, and markedly reduce my personal carbon footprint, over time.

And how about that of everyone else, including many who scoff at me and continue to burn all the carbon they can possibly afford, for trying to do my part (and pointing out that it is the right thing, since if billions of people would do it, it WOULD make a difference)?

So which things is it we should worry about because it will actually make a difference? (I honestly don't see it).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Timo » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 17:35:12

Outcast_Searcher wrote:So which things is it we should worry about because it will actually make a difference? (I honestly don't see it).

Time will tell.
Timo

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 03 Aug 2015, 18:38:40

KaiserJeep wrote:That article is pure speculation without any sources. Personally, I think plate tectonics causes volcanoes, ...
Subduction zone volcanism and Spreading center volcanism but not intraplate volcanism.
KaiserJeep wrote: and volcanoes far outpace the feeble effects of FF burning in driving CC.
Is this a good time to ask you for your sources? I don't see anyone saying that:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=volcano+climate+change
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 09:23:40

I've started a couple of planning for warming threads and they got about the same amount of interest. Nobody's going to do anything to protect themselves from warming. Not even the most rapid hand-wringers.

It is the perfect hobby-doom scenario, "we're all going to boil in our skins" so there is nothing to do except fret and of course denounce deniers or even "believers" who do not wring with the appropriate rapidity.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Timo » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 09:59:09

Pops, how exactly can you "plan" for the coming warmth, or the Death Valley heat that's coming our way? The only way to make life sustainable that i can see that is to become a climate refugee, and that's exactly what i plan on doing. Newfie can simple sail off into his water world, but that also has its own extreme limitations on viability. Ibon seems relatively secure in his higher elevations, but that, too, probably can't last forever. About the only planning alternative to geographic relocation is geoengineering.

Perhaps we could plan on and start building cities underground, or under water, or 10,000 feet in the air, or follow Elon Musk to Mars.

I guess my point is that it is practically pointless to individually plan on how to handle the warming temps because, my apologies for this cliche, we're all in this together. If i have a system for staying cool in the oven, there are 7 billion (and growing) other people who will kill me to get their hands on my system so that they, too, can stay alive. I don't think that AGW has any alternatives left for the individual to plan for. We're cooked. The religious can plan on making it into heaven, or some other afterlife paradise. The rest of us can just plan on dying a miserable death.

But, cheer up! :) Once it's all over, you won't remember any of it.
Timo

Unread postby Lore » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:12:43

I moved basically just for the fact that it was too hot and getting warmer where I was at. So, yes as individuals you can do something for yourself right now to get out of harms way.

As far as spreading the word, you only need to convince one other person to double your message and in turn have them do the same for someone else. You don't need to persuade everyone to make a difference.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:17:50

Pops wrote:I've started a couple of planning for warming threads and they got about the same amount of interest. Nobody's going to do anything to protect themselves from warming. Not even the most rapid hand-wringers.

It is the perfect hobby-doom scenario, "we're all going to boil in our skins" so there is nothing to do except fret and of course denounce deniers or even "believers" who do not wring with the appropriate rapidity.

Actually Pops my planning for warming threats is the same as my planning for PO threats. Both lead me to move 50ish miles to a small town away from the large population centers but close enough to still be on the rail and paved road network. I am also 500 feet above sea level and near several very large bodies of fresh water so even a sustained drought won't cause me to die of thirst. Planning for flood/drought/blizzard/heat wave is much tougher than planning for PO simply because which one you will get is a dice throw.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion