Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

GW Where You Live

When do you believe GW will have a material effect on you, or your location?

Never
5%
100 years
7%
10 years
25%
Now
47%
10 years ago
17%

Total votes : 60

GW Where You Live

Unread postby Pops » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:00:17

Trying to get an idea of how folks here think GW will impact their lives or the lives of the people in their area.

Let's say we consider "material effect" as being greater than a 10% effect on standard of living, however you define it.

If you have another, better criteria, vote using it and post up a description.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: GW Where You Live

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:06:16

I voted for 10 years ago because the way the climate has changed since childhood to around then the wild swings in weather extremes started heavily impacting my utility bills. Heat waves and cold snaps are both expensive here in north Ohio/south Michigan.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:19:30

Yeah, we actually need a "More than 10 years ago" category.

We had a string of extremely warm winters here in MN that were way outside the norm--like golfing in January--starting back around 2000. In 2003, I was in Paris during the killer heatwave that took tens of thousands of lives, and that has been shown to be extremely unlikely to have happened w/o GW--I may have been one of those on the death list if we hadn't gotten one of the last electric fans on the shelf of the major department store downtown.

I still feel bad that some other poor sucker may well have died because he/she didn't get that fan. :oops:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby GoghGoner » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:28:09

Now. Fruits, vegetables, and meat are all taking a material bite out of my pocketbook. Severe drought has been around longer than GW but our climate has been changed and it is impossible to say what would have been. In other words, all weather (good and bad) is now because of GW.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:34:16

The weather is so variable where I live that it would be almost impossible to call it!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:50:10

It looks like the poll is going bi-polar! :lol:

Not surprising, as you either recognize the scientifically proven connections between increased CO2 consequences and the increased likelihood of all sorts of otherwise relatively rare events, or you don't.

Fun, but I'm not sure what this is going to prove, except this very bipolarity (already quite evident) among the posters here.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 11:57:27

I vote 10 years because I feel economic impacts will really begin to be felt in the reaction around here in NY area relative to GW. I myself live in upstate so I am a little less worried about monster hurricanes then those in NYC and coastal area along the eastern shore. Dramatic sea level rise may still be a couple decades off or maybe not but I feel that is still something I am not going to dwell over. All in all I am in the camp of yes in my lifetime one way or the other GW will affect me where I live.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Lore » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:04:38

Climate change is really like playing with loaded dice. The warmer it gets the more chances of chaotic and severe weather conditions happening. Droughts, floods and storms that have always occured are more likely to be severe as we pump more energy into the system.

At present there is no one left unaffected. Yes, everyone is going to have to deal with higher food prices.

Here in NW lower MI, it's really starting to show up in the fall and spring weather conditions. Which is screwing up planting and harvesting of crops.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby hvacman » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:34:32

10 years. The current CA drought has been making a major impact on our area last year and this year, but jury's still out on whether the current CA drought is part of a normal west coast climate cycle or GW-related. Fire is a huge factor - probably more than water availability. We, and much of the region, live on acreage in semi-rural areas with pine and oak forests around us. Cronic drought could make them such a seasonal tinderbox that we may decide we need to bail and move to a more urban setting rather than rely upon our "wildland-urban interface" defenses to protect our home and personal property. Also, even though we got over 50" of rain last year in our area and average about 70" each year, we live under the same water restrictions as the rest of the state. Not much water for outdoor irrigation of any kind. This is really crimping our style for expanding our garden, setting up our lavender field, etc, which is why we moved to the place we have now.

We'll know in 10 years.
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:56:13

hvacman wrote:10 years. The current CA drought has been making a major impact on our area last year and this year, but jury's still out on whether the current CA drought is part of a normal west coast climate cycle or GW-related. Fire is a huge factor - probably more than water availability. We, and much of the region, live on acreage in semi-rural areas with pine and oak forests around us. Cronic drought could make them such a seasonal tinderbox that we may decide we need to bail and move to a more urban setting rather than rely upon our "wildland-urban interface" defenses to protect our home and personal property. Also, even though we got over 50" of rain last year in our area and average about 70" each year, we live under the same water restrictions as the rest of the state. Not much water for outdoor irrigation of any kind. This is really crimping our style for expanding our garden, setting up our lavender field, etc, which is why we moved to the place we have now.

We'll know in 10 years.

From what I'm reading, most climatologists agree that the California drought is the returning of the semi arid conditions that are more typical of the region. The possible mega drought status though is belng exacerbated by climate change.

It really doesn't make sense that in a world where temperatures have already increased a full degree over the last century that it wouldn't have an affect on conditions relative to the historical state.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:28:27

Pops wrote:Trying to get an idea of how folks here think GW will impact their lives or the lives of the people in their area.

Let's say we consider "material effect" as being greater than a 10% effect on standard of living, however you define it.

If you have another, better criteria, vote using it and post up a description.

I live in central KY. Based on the criteria you gave (and the criteria are fine), I'd have liked to have a couple other categories added: 20 years and 30 years. I'd have picked 20 years, but could see some people picking 30, based on a 10% PLUS effect on their standard of living -- that's a big impact.

I noticed some posts (saying the time should be 10 years ago) complaining about a freakish cold or heat wave or two. As so often seen on this site, this appears to be a sign of serious innumeracy. (If your gas or electric bill is moderately higher than usual for a few days this does NOT COME CLOSE to raising your entire cost of living for years by anything remotely like over 10% (or even a tenth of that)). The emotion to logic ratio on this site overall is discouraging, considering the complexity of the world we live in.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:06:38

I picked now.

For Outcast_Searcher let me add something, since 2004 depending on which year you pick the heating bill goes up and down 100 percent, and the same for the summer cooling bill. Heating in 2004, 2013, 2014 was very expensive. Cooling in 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012 was very expensive. That left me with 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2011 as years with average costs for both winter and summer.

Not everyone is a blessed as you appear to be in central Kentucky, some of us are experiencing pretty extreme and unpredictable gyrations right now.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Timo » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:12:48

Does the heat index of 154 F in Iran last week count as Now? :?
Timo

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:30:15

+1

But I think Pops was looking for effects in whatever area you are living in now. I'm guessing that you aren't posting from Iran?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:31:52

+1

But I think Pops was looking for effects in whatever area you are living in now. I'm guessing that you aren't posting from Iran?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:32:08

Doom always seems to be 10 years away. I wonder why that is.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:39:50

He said a %10 change in standard of living. I don't think that qualifies as doom.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Timo » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:56:33

dohboi wrote:+1

I'm posting from Pluto where AGW isn't even on the radar.

Pluto doesn't have any radar, for that matter, but DAMN! It's cold!!!!

What was the topic of discussion again? There's a 4-hour delay in your radio signal.
Timo

Unread postby Apneaman » Tue 04 Aug 2015, 15:17:55

I live in British Columbia and the effects of GW along with all other aspects of ape overshoot are quite apparent. Sea food is higher, meat is higher, if fact most groceries have steadily gone up over the last coupe of years. Our forests are burning at record pace and, in part because 50% of the commercial lodge pole pine is dead from the pine beetle (due to a warming climate) with more to come. We now have water restriction (here in the rain forest) as is evident by all the brown lawns and dead/dying trees and plants. In addition our glaciers are in rapid melt down (these feed agriculture, hydro power and tourism) same for the snow-packs. Our major skiing season keeps getting shorter every year. then there is our fishing industry which is also being devastated due to a warming ocean and ocean acidification giving die offs and species migration. How one figures out the dollar amount is beyond my skills, but the trend is clear and growing.

<b>Scientists fear toxic algae bloom spreading on Pacific coast</b>

http://socan.info/2015/08/scientists-fe ... fic-coast/

<b>In hot water: Columbia's sockeye salmon face mass die-off</b>

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... -heat.html

<b>Warmer weather in Alberta and B.C.’s mountains creating shorter ski season </b>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alb ... e23462649/

<b>The threat of mountain pine beetle to Canada’s boreal forest</b>

"The current MPB outbreak started in British Columbia in the early 1990s. The insect has since killed about 50% of the total volume of commercial lodgepole pine in the province. While isolated records of MPB had been noted in Alberta before, it was the massive migration of beetles into that province from outbreaks in British Columbia during 2006 that fuelled the spread eastward."

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/fire-ins ... ects/13381

<b>The Beetles Are Coming</b>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zxOYwhAys

<b>Skiing, salmon spawning may be casualties of glacial melt: report </b>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e23806021/

<b>Western Canada to lose 70 per cent of glaciers by 2100</b>

http://news.ubc.ca/2015/04/06/western-c ... s-by-2100/

<b>Now it’s the price of beef in B.C. that’s gone over the moon
Drought conditions, shortage of feed force farmers’ costs up

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/life/now-i ... NYkJh.dpuf</b>

<b>
Climate change is a growing concern in B.C., says scientist
Drought and extreme wildfires the new normal in B.C., says climate scientist</b>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3177871

<b>B.C. surpasses wildfire budget ahead of hottest months </b>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e25194811/
Apneaman
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate