Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The basis of human actions

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The basis of human actions

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 10 Aug 2015, 09:44:52

The question I wish to explore with this topic is the mechanisms which instigate humans to act or not act. This is an age-old question of how the human can manage both his emotions-desires coupled with his reasoning abilities. Way back in ancient times Plato made an in depth analysis of human psychology . He reasoned that humans had three inner working to their mind. Reason, Desire and Emotion. He figured that reason should be always in control of the other two. The other two being emotion and desire can lead one astray. I basically agree with this in so much as a purely reasoning mind according to Plato " These parts are reason and desire, correlating to rationality and irrationality respectively. Passion is next identified as a third part that may be interchangeable with either of the other two." Also, "Reason correlates with virtue and morality (considered choices, discipline, self-control, and charity" also, " Reason is concerned with the overall good of the person as a whole (note: not all reasoning has to be good reasoning).". So I think Plato's ideas correlate and track very closely to what AD vis- a- vis Marx is saying and contemplating. What do others think of this three-dimensional model? I feel this psychological inquiry is germane to almost any topic dealing with humans.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Open Topic Discussion