Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Planned parenthood - evil or do you care?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Planned parenthood - evil or do you care?

Unread postby zoidberg » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 13:59:05

We've all heard the stories. Planned parenthood sells baby parts for profit. One lady bragged about needing a new Lamborghini. They did it without consent and they insist we all pay for and endorse their crazy position. Hoping for babies to be killed so they can profit think about it. Never say you could never end up in the promotion of evil. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I've said before this planned parenthood was evil. Can we now agree?
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Planned parenthood - evil or do you care?

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:10:27

Unless they are kidnapping live babies already born, I really don't give a shit.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:11:21

Number of years Planned Parenthood has provided women, men, and young people with the education,
information, and services needed to make responsible choices about sex and reproduction: 97
• Number of women, men, and young people worldwide provided with sexual and reproductive
health care and education by Planned Parenthood each year: 4,665,000
• Number of these people served by Planned Parenthood affiliate health centers in the U.S.: 2,840,000
• Number of these people served by Planned Parenthood affiliate educational programs: 1,100,000
• Number of these people served by PPFA-supported partners in 10 developing countries: more than 725,000
• Number of Planned Parenthood affiliates: 68 (with a presence in all 50 states and the District of Columbia)
• Number of Planned Parenthood affiliate health centers: more than 700
• Percentage of Planned Parenthood health care patients
• age 20 and older: 83
• with incomes at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level: 79
• who receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy: 75
• Estimated number of unintended pregnancies averted by Planned Parenthood
contraceptive services each year: 515,000
• Estimated number of abortions averted by Planned Parenthood contraceptive services each year: 216,000
• Percentage of all Planned Parenthood health services that are contraceptive services: 34
• Percentage of all Planned Parenthood health services that are abortion services: 3

I'm not a fan of abortion but I am of contraception so no I don't think PP is evil.

More, I think that since every woman of average means or above has always been able to get a more or less safe abortion any time she requires, regardless of whatever law, that poor women should be able to get one as well without risking their life.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby zoidberg » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:19:01

Late term babies are alive when removed sometimes. Do you care about that? Living breathing person killed without any rights or protections. Next they come for you does anyone care?

Also abortions should be done in a hospital by people not monetarily motivated by performing more abortions with live births protected, fatalities disposed of respectfully and on site.

This is grotesque and not the only way to handle abortions.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:43:06

Again, just the one time, PP provides contraception to poor women who would likely get pregnant and seek an abortion (legal or otherwise) without the service. If you don't like abortion you should like contraception. If you like neither, good luck.

All the prohibitions and promises in the world are worthless.

I don't care where safe abortions get done or where poor women get contraceptives and preventative care/education. Just that they do.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:46:10

Pops wrote:I'm not a fan of abortion but I am of contraception so no I don't think PP is evil.

So, you ascribe to Donald Trump's position on the issue. :P
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:52:32

The trafficking of body parts of an aborted fetus for profit is a federal crime punishable by large fines and imprisonment. Apart from the legality of what PP is doing, there is a certain coldness and indifference about the procedure that is rather chilling. So is the goal of PP to provide safe abortions for women or to get the parts they want to sell for a profit?

Here is some excerpts from the undercover video:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... story.html

“I’d say a lot of people want liver,” she says in the video posted on the Center for Medical Progress’s Web site, between bites of salad. “And for that reason, most providers will do this case under ultrasound guidance so they’ll know where they’re putting their forceps.”

She continues: “We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not gonna crush that part, I’m gonna basically crush below, I’m gonna crush above, and I’m gonna see if I can get it all intact.”
Last edited by Cog on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:57:47, edited 1 time in total.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:57:04

dinopello wrote:
Pops wrote:I'm not a fan of abortion but I am of contraception so no I don't think PP is evil.

So, you ascribe to Donald Trump's position on the issue. :P

RIEO (Republican In Ego Only)
LoL
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:08:06

zoidberg wrote:We've all heard the stories. Planned parenthood sells baby parts for profit. One lady bragged about needing a new Lamborghini. They did it without consent and they insist we all pay for and endorse their crazy position. Hoping for babies to be killed so they can profit think about it. Never say you could never end up in the promotion of evil. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hell no. Providing contraception and education in an overcrowded/overpopulated world with far too many unwanted and (largely) uncared for kids is good. Why don't you anti-abortion fanatics offer instead to financially help raise the kids you constantly claim are so precious? Funny how that works.

And if you're going to make wild claims about selling body parts for profit -- how about a citation? You don't even offer a wild-eyed crazy person blog as a citation, much less a CREDIBLE source. And you expect the mainstream to take you seriously? Right. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:47:02

I posted a link above with the undercover videos as shown in a Washington Post article. These videos were also shown on CNN. Are you saying those two news outlets are wild right wing anti-abortionists in their philosophy? LOL A little Google-Fu and you can find them. You have only yourself to blame for not watching them and making up your own mind as to what PP is doing.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:50:13

Cog wrote:I posted a link above with the undercover videos as shown in a Washington Post article. These videos were also shown on CNN. A little Google-Fu and you can find them. You have only yourself to blame for not watching them and making up your own mind as to what PP is doing.

Because, whatever we do, we should assume that a huge organization is all about whatever videos a clearly biased, self-interested source posts on the internet about one TINY part of that organization.

(Even IF such videos are honest, etc).

Given your general wisdom about economic principles via posts on this site, your obvious bias about stuff you don't like is disappointing. But hey, it puts you solidly into the the far right conservative camp. Congrats.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:51:57

Did you watch the videos or not? Or even bother to read the articles?

You think I'm close minded. Really? LOL

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:56:53

jesus_of_suburbia wrote:Unless they are kidnapping live babies already born, I really don't give a shit.

Bless your heart jesus.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 16:17:50

pstarr wrote:What kind of moronic question has been posed? Planned Parenthood is about helping to curb population growth, they are not and never were in the fetus business. Cheap distraction crap.

Of all people in the world, we here at PO.com must be aware of planetary limits, resource depletion, and our role in destroying our future here on earth. We are stealing our children's seed corn and fouling our own nests (sorry bout the dueling metaphors. Maybe we are quail or chickens). Right?

So Zoid, Cog are you both right-wing Christian exceptionalists? Or do you believe in the Devil's scientist . . . Charles Darwin?

Thanks pstarr for posting my basic response to cog, for complaining that (his assumption), I don't want to view the video links he posted.

All I'll add is that I also don't pay attention to wild-eyed AGW denialist blogs which claim that their intuition is more accurate (and obvious) than all the established climate science. And of course that even if this site weren't about overpopulation/overuse of resources -- I still wouldn't condone the implication that Cog has more right than women carrying fetuses to say what should happen to THEIR bodies, since he is against legal abortion.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Lore » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 16:24:46

pstarr wrote:What kind of moronic question has been posed? Planned Parenthood is about helping to curb population growth, they are not and never were in the fetus business. Cheap distraction crap.

Of all people in the world, we here at PO.com must be aware of planetary limits, resource depletion, and our role in destroying our future here on earth. We are stealing our children's seed corn and fouling our own nests (sorry bout the dueling metaphors. Maybe we are quail or chickens). Right?

So Zoid, Cog are you both right-wing Christian exceptionalists? Or do you believe in the Devil's scientist . . . Charles Darwin?

Well said, I can add nothing more to this statement.
... End of thread ...
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 16:29:49

Lore 1+
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 13 Aug 2015, 16:49:04

zoidberg wrote:We've all heard the stories. Planned parenthood sells baby parts for profit. One lady bragged about needing a new Lamborghini. They did it without consent and they insist we all pay for and endorse their crazy position. Hoping for babies to be killed so they can profit think about it. Never say you could never end up in the promotion of evil. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Evil is killing our life-support system. How does this qualify?
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion