Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Insect Cooking Oil

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Insect Cooking Oil

Unread postby ennui2 » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 16:01:20

Key quote:

"mitigating the livestock crisis,”

In other words, let's eat stuff we normally wouldn't eat, because we're overpopulated. Keep going down the slippery slope to soylent green.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/250 ... picks=true
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Re: Insect Cooking Oil

Unread postby Cog » Sun 06 Sep 2015, 16:06:33

Peak insects?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby efarmer » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:51:22

So the researchers freeze dried the insects in liquid nitrogen, ground them up and then extracted the lipids to make bug grease for a taste test. Having done some evening experiments with a bug zapper, I can vouch that the high voltage grids inside the device sublimate the zapped insects and allow the purveyor to catch the bugsizzle bouquet in rapid fashion. Cutting to the chase, based on my direct experiential results from this process: None of them to date smells like good eatin'.

The old country colloquialism of "them are good eatin' if you cook them right" could apply I am sure,
but it challenges the country chef to admit they are out of the often unsavory foodstuffs they
are challenged to make edible, and down to hiding bugs in gravy and stews. I admit to having
done this once, but it was only two occult bugs, and we were camping, and we all sterilized our mouth with beer before we ate with the lantern turned down low, so nobody knew who actually ate
the bugs.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:32:12

efarmer wrote:So the researchers freeze dried the insects in liquid nitrogen, ground them up and then extracted the lipids to make bug grease for a taste test. Having done some evening experiments with a bug zapper, I can vouch that the high voltage grids inside the device sublimate the zapped insects and allow the purveyor to catch the bugsizzle bouquet in rapid fashion. Cutting to the chase, based on my direct experiential results from this process: None of them to date smells like good eatin'.

The old country colloquialism of "them are good eatin' if you cook them right" could apply I am sure,
but it challenges the country chef to admit they are out of the often unsavory foodstuffs they
are challenged to make edible, and down to hiding bugs in gravy and stews. I admit to having
done this once, but it was only two occult bugs, and we were camping, and we all sterilized our mouth with beer before we ate with the lantern turned down low, so nobody knew who actually ate
the bugs.

Lots of people historically have eaten bugs voluntarily. Having been force fed a cockroach as a child I can tell you they taste awful IMO. On the other hand I used to watch that wilderness survival guy and he loved to get grasshoppers and locusts, claimed they tasted great toasted and are a wonderful protein source.

Les Stroud tries different insects, some roasted some live. https://youtu.be/4QRQ44CRVrY
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 15:07:51

The buzz about edible bugs: Can they replace beef?

A report appearing in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry examines how the nutrients -- particularly iron -- provided by grasshoppers, crickets and other insects really measures up to beef. It finds that insects could indeed fill that dietary need.

Edible bugs might sound unappetizing to many Westerners, but they've long been included in traditional diets in other regions of the world, which are now home to more than 2 billion people, according a report by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. The report also notes that about 1,900 insect species have been documented as a food source globally. That they're a source of protein is well established, but if the world is to turn to bugs to replace meat, the critters will need to offer more than protein. Iron is a particularly important nutrient that is often missing in non-meat diets, causing iron-deficiency anemia, which can lead to lower cognition, immunity, poor pregnancy outcomes and other problems. In light of these concerns, Yemisi Latunde-Dada and colleagues wanted to find out whether commonly eaten insects could contribute to a well-rounded meal.

The researchers analyzed grasshoppers, crickets, mealworms and buffalo worms for their mineral contents and estimated how much of each nutrient would likely get absorbed if eaten, using a lab model of human digestion. The insects had varying levels of iron, calcium, copper, magnesium, manganese and zinc. Crickets, for example, had higher levels of iron than the other insects did. And minerals including calcium, copper and zinc from grasshoppers, crickets and mealworms are more readily available for absorption than the same minerals from beef. The results therefore support the idea that eating bugs could potentially help meet the nutritional needs of the world's growing population, the researchers say.

! Warning !: Watching the following video may make you vomit!

Video - Man vs. Wild - Eating Giant Larva
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 16:31:27

Bar Grills is nothing but a side show geek act like the ones who would bite the heads off f live chickens at the county fair. He delibrately did that grub in the most disgusting manner possble to try and shock with disgust his viewers.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 19:03:31

Witchetty grub is quite nice when cooked first
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Fri 28 Oct 2016, 03:41:05

When I returned from survival school, I showed my five year old how to eat ants (taste like lemon), and promptly left on another TDY.

My wife gets called in to the school because they were concerned about his mental health. When she gets there, they explain how he is eating insects!!! After she explained, they all had a good laugh.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Open Topic Discussion