Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cultural Change in the '60's

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Cultural Change in the '60's

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 06:31:59

This short documentary I found to be as close to describing what was really happening than any I have seen. Less than a half hour long, it speaks volumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plgKnrpvtAI

You cannot look at the time without knowing what before was like. Recognizing the theme of cultural regeneration, renewal.

Yes it isn't perfect, but nothing is. But if you weren't there, this may help you understand.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Cultural Change in the '60's

Unread postby Oneaboveall » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 15:26:04

Interesting stuff. This would be good to show to people who are still going on about the "hippies", when that was about 50 years ago.

BTW, Do you know the song playing at the 10:38 mark?
When the banksters want something, our policymakers move with the speed of Mercury and the determination of Ares. It’s only when the rest of us need something that there is paralysis.

How free are we today with the dominance of globalist capital and militarized security apparatus?
Oneaboveall
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 15:42:30

Hmm hippies. Spoiled middle and upper class white kids, spending daddy's dime at college, smoking dope and not caring about hygiene. Ten years later they took a bath, cut their nasty hair, and joined the BAU corporate world. Forgive me if I am not impressed about their contributions to society.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 16:07:28

Cog wrote:Hmm hippies. Spoiled middle and upper class white kids, spending daddy's dime at college, smoking dope and not caring about hygiene. Ten years later they took a bath, cut their nasty hair, and joined the BAU corporate world. Forgive me if I am not impressed about their contributions to society.

They questioned authority. What was wrong about that?

If history repeats itself, I want to be ready, but alas, my hair has thinned greatly.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 16:37:51

Cog wrote:Hmm hippies. Spoiled middle and upper class white kids, spending daddy's dime at college, smoking dope and not caring about hygiene.

And naming companies after fruit !

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby salinsky » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 16:47:33

Cog has an obsession with the bathing habits of unknown people from fifty years ago. I bet he still has fond memories of showering with his military buddies.
If you believe something is true, then it must be true or you wouldn't believe it was true, therefore, everything you think is true, is true, or is it?
Señor Salinsky

A people's culture is their best ignorance.
SAL
salinsky
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby careinke » Tue 08 Sep 2015, 22:50:44

I was in my early teens then. I was pretty straight back then, as I had my sights on being an astronaut. My planned path was go to a military academy or get a an RPTC scholarship as my parents could not afford to send me to college. Then become a fighter pilot and on to test pilot, the astronaut. So I mostly avoided the drug scene. On the other hand, I got to see a lot of naked hippies and they certainly were not a threat to me personally.

I ended up getting a full AFROTC scholarship to become a pilot, unfortunately the year before graduating, the Vietnam war ended and the Air Force suddenly did not need pilots. The Air Force gave us the option to walk with no service commitment or we could go in, but not as a pilot. So much for my astronaut career and instead became an Air Battle Manager which in the end turned out a lot more exciting and fun.

Anyway, bottom line, I envied the Hippies and their free love lifestyles, but it was incompatible with my long term goals. Do kids have long term goals today?
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 09 Sep 2015, 04:22:37

Cid_Yama wrote:You cannot look at the time without knowing what before was like. Recognizing the theme of cultural regeneration, renewal.

For young people today there is no ground out of which to explore the wide open spaces that were possible back in the 60's. What provided the solid ground back then was the establishment everyone was questioning and rebelling against.

The ground today is shaky. Out of this insecure foundation conformity is the impulse, not breaking out.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 10 Sep 2015, 14:54:24

Cog merely displays his ignorance with his 'Dirty Hippie' myth. Long hair and beards does not equate to uncleanliness.

Like all young people, they actually bathed more often than the older folks, and focused on their generations style of grooming, perhaps unrecognizable by fuds like Cog. After all, as with all younger generations, the focus was on the opposite sex.

The older generation still referred to the 'Saturday night bath', while the younger generation bathed every day, just like people of that age in every generation.

Any pictures of people with long hair who actually were dirty were exceptions not the rule, and were often used in establishment propaganda; i.e. 'dirty, scary biker types' or 'near-death needle junkies'. As with today, using fear in an attempt to sway the masses.

A song of Cog's kind at the time,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

"A place where even squares can have a ball"
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 15:25:48, edited 2 times in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 10 Sep 2015, 15:17:21

Cid_Yama wrote:Cog merely displays his ignorance with his 'Dirty Hippie' myth. Long hair and beards does not equate to uncleanliness.

Confederate General A.P. Hill (and J.E.B. Stuart and Stonewall Jackson and Longstreet and Lee...etc) agree!

dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 10 Sep 2015, 15:32:07

As a matter of fact, that may be the source of Cog's vitriol. His kind were called squares and were laughed at, made the butt of jokes. And they didn't get laid very often.

You could spot them a mile away. That kind of rejection can lead to a lifetime of bitterness.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 10 Sep 2015, 16:42:40

Another one of Cog's myths he almost slipped through. Those that were actual members of the counter-culture DID NOT in latter life, reject their values and join 'BAU Corporatism'.

They have continued to live, throughout their lives, non-conventional lifestyles based on THEIR values, which continue to reject Corporatism.

Who does he think all those Progressives are, that he constantly harangues?

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 11 Oct 2015, 06:28:46

These changes were beautifully portrayed through metaphor in the movie 'Pleasantville'.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Quinny » Tue 13 Oct 2015, 18:35:24

Love that movie, think some here wouldn't get it though ;)
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion