Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Internet Service Providers

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Internet Service Providers

Unread postby PeakOiler » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:07:20

Well, it seems the ISPs have us by the neck.

Recently I had been informed by Sprint that the wireless modem I was using to connect to the web was no longer going to be supported with their new network. I was paying about $52/month for their service. So after going by a Sprint store to see what they were offering in place of that modem, I learned that no other modem was available but instead a Pocket WiFi would be used.
The problem with that device after getting online a few times was that it eats data. Big time. This morning it was using data at a rate of 10 Mbps and I had used in just 30 minutes, 10% of my monthly plan's data allowance! Good grief!
So I got really pissed off and I have cancelled my Sprint account. (This post is made while I'm at work.)

The only other ISPs available in my area that I know of is the HughesNet (satellite dish needed) and Verizon Wireless (antenna needed). AT&T's U-Verse is not available and there is no cable out here in the country, so Time-Warner or Roadrunner are out as well.

Whatever happened to "unlimited internet access" like AOL use to offer? All these plans now seem to run close to $100/month!

I'm sorry, but that's just too much for internet access, imo.

What ISP you you use? How much do you pay per month?

I'm about to be off the net for awhile folks. The Oil Price Challenge I'll update when I can. I guess I'll be using the local library for internet access for awhile, if not forever.

This sucks.

These communication companies really have a racket going, don't they?
Last edited by PeakOiler on Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:18:06, edited 1 time in total.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Internet Service Providers

Unread postby davep » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:14:21

You could just get a router (ask them if they have non-wireless ones) and buy a wireless access point yourself e.g. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_1/181-5266122-6462543

You could even ask them if they allow 3rd-party routers, and get one of them (with wifi included rather than using a separate access point if you want, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TD-W8961ND-Wireless-Splitter-detachable/dp/B0086UK72C/ref=sr_1_2/181-5266122-6462543).
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:21:51

I have Verizon - FIOS at home (Fiber Optic) and 3G for my cell phone. It's a bundle all together like $230/mo which includes the internet, land line, TV and cell. They keep upgrading my speed at home when I complain about price increases (they can't lower the price but they can up the speed) so I'm up to 150/150 Mbs.

That doesn't help you because if you don't have cable, you probably don't have fiber. One of the advantages of city life.

but, I agree wholeheartedly that it's a outrageous expense. But the internet is pretty cool. I'd rather give up my car than my high speed internet.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:25:06

The Pocket Wifi thing only supports wireless (cell) communications http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc8540015prd&deviceSKUId=85900425&flow=AAL&planSKUId=&tabId=dt_mbc&ptn=&defaultContractTerm=#!/

If you don't have a cable/ADSL connection then I guess you're stuck with finding another provider who allows higher monthly usage over 3G/4G. Did your previous wifi modem use the phone line? If so, you shouldn't be stuck with using the cell phone network.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby davep » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 14:28:48

dinopello wrote:I have Verizon - FIOS at home (Fiber Optic) and 3G for my cell phone. It's a bundle all together like $230/mo which includes the internet, land line, TV and cell. They keep upgrading my speed at home when I complain about price increases (they can't lower the price but they can up the speed) so I'm up to 150/150 Mbs.

That doesn't help you because if you don't have cable, you probably don't have fiber. One of the advantages of city life.

but, I agree wholeheartedly that it's a outrageous expense. But the internet is pretty cool. I'd rather give up my car than my high speed internet.

That's outrageously expensive. Here in France you can get 2x3G/4G cell phones and high speed internet + TV + landline (unlimited calls to French mobiles and foreign landlines) for 35 euros/month (sim card only for the phones, you provide your own). You'd have to pay about 16 euros/month more for unlimited cell calls on one of the phones (with 2OGB 4G on the cell phone).

Except I live in the middle of nowhere so the line isn't fast enough for TV (but that's not really important).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 15:49:18

davep wrote:That's outrageously expensive.

That's what I said !

I pay for more than I want to keep some others happy. But the super speed 150 Mbits/sec up and down is nice.

The TV, Land Line and Internet is $130 and the wireless is $88 and the set-top box rental (scam) is $12

I see they have some good deals now with the slower internet so I may switch to that when my contract is up. I don't need to stream 10 HD movies at the same time !
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby davep » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 15:51:42

dinopello wrote:
davep wrote:That's outrageously expensive.

That's what I said !

I pay for more than I want to keep some others happy. But the super speed 150 Mbits/sec up and down is nice.

The TV, Land Line and Internet is $130 and the wireless is $88 and the set-top box rental (scam) is $12

I see they have some good deals now with the slower internet so I may switch to that when my contract is up. I don't need to stream 10 HD movies at the same time !

You could buy a UPS, a few servers, and set up your own data center!
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 19:02:41

davep: I don't think Sprint would allow a third-party device to connect to the internet.

dinopello: Yikes! $230/mo? ouch!

I don't own a smartphone nor do I care about getting hundreds of TV channels since I rarely watch TV anymore. So these bundled offers have no appeal for me.

btw, my Sprint service lasts until Oct. 10th, but I will run out of data way before then at the rate this Pocket WiFi eats up data. A big part of the problem is that most websites are very data intensive. I don't watch YouTube videos or news site videos either, simply because of the data intensiveness.

I haven't decided if I'm going to stay online after that.
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 19:58:11

Did your previous modem have the same connection method (i.e. cellular 3G/4G?) or via your phone line (I guess you don't have cable)? If it used the phone line and you're now being forced onto the cellular network with a far lower monthly bandwidth allowance then I'd look for another provider (or maybe ask them first if/why they stopped providing ADSL modems).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 01:53:17

PeakOiler wrote:I'm sorry, but that's just too much for internet access, imo.

What ISP you you use? How much do you pay per month?

If you have 4g cell networks in your area, maybe you could use your phone instead of computer. (I'm not up to date on other carriers than what I have, do most phone plans still have unlimited data?)

What you could do is just get a big screen smartphone, or a tablet (and they make keyboard docks for tablets).

Eventually, I imagine it'll get to wear 4g unlimited net is available for computers and competitive with cable.

I pay around $120 a month for something like 125 mbps, with HD standard cable. And then I pay nine bucks a month for streaming netflix which I use quite often.

P.S. Is DSL from the landline phone company an option, for you? DSL just uses an old fashioned phone line and gets pretty decent speed (good enough for a lot of people's use, will play youtubes, not good enough for netflix though).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby MD » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 05:18:30

More evidence that the internets, as we have known them, are changing.

I don't like it much, but you can blame that on the fact that I am an older techno-geek that is becoming increasingly nostalgic about the old days.

The individualistic swashbuckling early days are being replaced by 1984-like corporate control, and technology platforms that are designed to eliminate us pirates, one at a time. Ick!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 06:17:33

Sixstrings wrote:If you have 4g cell networks in your area, maybe you could use your phone instead of computer. (I'm not up to date on other carriers than what I have, do most phone plans still have unlimited data?)

What you could do is just get a big screen smartphone, or a tablet (and they make keyboard docks for tablets).

I have resisted getting a smartphone or tablet. But it appears that I may finally be forced to get one. :cry:

I hate little screens...

Can smartphones be connected to a PC with a cable?

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 06:49:49

PeakOiler wrote:I have resisted getting a smartphone or tablet. But it appears that I may finally be forced to get one. :cry:

I hate little screens...

Yes, it's called "tethering". But you're still going to hit the phone's download limit pretty rapidly.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tethering-use-mobile-internet-pc/
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 07:02:16

davep wrote:
PeakOiler wrote:I have resisted getting a smartphone or tablet. But it appears that I may finally be forced to get one. :cry:

I hate little screens...

Yes, it's called "tethering". But you're still going to hit the phone's download limit pretty rapidly.

Thanks davep. I'm ignorant when it comes to smartphones. Never had one. Never sent a text message. And you're right. The data use is still probably intense. Like MD pointed out: The internet has changed. These communication companies have got the whole world addicted to the technology and now their going to bleed us as much as possible.

Again, I look back at the "old days" when I had AOL's dial up service. Unlimited internet access for $28/month. <<sigh>> It was slow compared to today's standards of course, but at one time it was the state of the art...

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 07:06:32

davep wrote:Can smartphones be connected to a PC with a cable?

On unlimited data plans, my understanding is there's something in the phone OS that prevents tethering. They specifically don't want you to get unlimited data, using your phone as a modem. (that's how my carrier is anyway)

But as long as you're just using the phone and not tethered then it's unlimited data (if you've got an unlimited data plan).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 07:24:50

PeakOiler wrote:Thanks davep. I'm ignorant when it comes to smartphones. Never had one. Never sent a text message. And you're right. The data use is still probably intense. Like MD pointed out: The internet has changed. These communication companies have got the whole world addicted to the technology and now their going to bleed us as much as possible.

Again, I look back at the "old days" when I had AOL's dial up service. Unlimited internet access for $28/month. <<sigh>> It was slow compared to today's standards of course, but at one time it was the state of the art...

PO, what about DSL? Have you checked with your landline phone company? DSL should be available anywhere there's a phone line at.

DSL is about as good as broadband, and is unlimited. It's like an old fashioned phone line modem except it needs a dedicated phone number (it's always on) and it's pretty fast (it maximizes what can be done with a standard phone line).

DSL may still cost like $60 - $80 a month but that's just how it is now, that's the cost for internet. Is your issue the COST or that you can't get cable service?

Wifi is also an option. Actually so many places have wifi. Just about every restaurant and coffee shop. Every mcondalds does, and probably every other fast food chain in the US.

Another idea: I don't know anything about them, but centurylink has been running a lot of ads lately, you could check that website out and see if you're in the service area or not.

http://www.centurylink.com/
(I'm not endorsing them, I know zip about them, my top advice would be get cable or phone company DSL)

I had a period of time where I just wanted to not have cable service at all, and I looked into satellite and such and that was just all very expensive (and slow). Eventually I did get DSL and had that for a while and I was fine with it (couldn't do netflix though) and then I finally I got back on cable.

P.S. If you go smartphone route, be careful to know how much data you're using and to not go over, *if you don't have an unlimited data plan*. I think I've heard some people can get like $800 phone bills, that were on a bad plan.

Personally, I'm lucky to have unlimited data. It's limited on the 4g up to a certain amount and then it goes to 1x unlimited data (just slower speed). I've got my phone set to use wifi while at home, so actually I barely use any phone data anyway. It's nice having unlimited data though, I'd sure never want a phone plan where you have to watch the data usage.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 07:49:56

PeakOiler wrote:
davep wrote:

I hate little screens...

Thanks davep. I'm ignorant when it comes to smartphones. Never had one. Never sent a text message. And you're right. The data use is still probably intense. Like MD pointed out: The internet has changed. These communication companies have got the whole world addicted to the technology and now their going to bleed us as much as possible.

I resisted smart phones until my then 4 year old was blitzing on android, the cops took my other computers away for 6 months (long story) & I ran out of excuses & jumped on a cheap Chinese unlocked android phone. They are a piece of cake to use, if you know your way around a PC these are far simpler.

The deal I'm on in oz gives me unlimited all phones in oz, plus 6 gig monthly for 30 bucks. Data packs extra 10 bucks a gig. I don't do a lot of video watching, but I do a lot of time online & rarely need extra data. I haven't had a landline for nearly 20 years.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 09:02:48

Sixstrings: My issue is that Sprint forced me to buy their Pocket Wi-Fi in order to keep my internet connection. It uses a lot more data than the wireless USB modem so now I reach my data limit before the month is over. That means I would either have to change my plan (more $$$) or not have internet access but about 15 days per month to stay under the data limit.

It’s not that I can’t afford a more costly plan, I just don’t like being forced into the situation.

And out here in the country, like I mentioned above, there is no cable internet access and the number of ISPs is limited, so competition doesn’t put downward pressure on the cost.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby davep » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 09:28:01

PeakOiler wrote:Sixstrings: My issue is that Sprint forced me to buy their Pocket Wi-Fi in order to keep my internet connection. It uses a lot more data than the wireless USB modem so now I reach my data limit before the month is over. That means I would either have to change my plan (more $$$) or not have internet access but about 15 days per month to stay under the data limit.

It’s not that I can’t afford a more costly plan, I just don’t like being forced into the situation.

And out here in the country, like I mentioned above, there is no cable internet access and the number of ISPs is limited, so competition doesn’t put downward pressure on the cost.

Was the wireless USB modem connected to your phone line? If so, you can surely find another ISP that allows DSL/ADSL over the phone line that wouldn't have the same data constraints as using the cell network.

BTW, the Pocket Wifi itself shouldn't increase your data usage as it's normally just a conduit. Maybe your PC is quietly installing the upgrade files for Windows 10 (which can eat up several GB) or something more sinister (e.g. your PC has joined a botnet). For the latter, try running Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ (this starts the download automatically, normally) as a starter to see what baddies may be lurking on your PC (assuming it is Windows).
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby PeakOiler » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 09:47:10

davep wrote:Was the wireless USB modem connected to your phone line? If so, you can surely find another ISP that allows DSL/ADSL over the phone line that wouldn't have the same data constraints as using the cell network.

BTW, the Pocket Wifi itself shouldn't increase your data usage as it's normally just a conduit. Maybe your PC is quietly installing the upgrade files for Windows 10 (which can eat up several GB) or something more sinister (e.g. your PC has joined a botnet). For the latter, try running Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ (this starts the download automatically, normally) as a starter to see what baddies may be lurking on your PC (assuming it is Windows).

The external modem was a Sprint Sierra Wireless 250U USB 3G/4G Mobile Broadband modem. It would only work with the Sprint network. Sprint is changing their network and the old modem would no longer be supported on their new network.

I use a Mac at home, but I think that's part of the issue, similar to what you wrote above: Upgrades are getting installed quietly by Apple, just as MS Windows 10 silently upgrades your PC. That, I do believe, is part of the issue.

Like I said above, these communication companies and computer companies have a real racket going on...

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion