Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Koch brothers and their influence

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Who is "Koch.com"?

Postby ROCKMAN » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 02:33:02

Lots of folks who ever never dug into the brothers very deeply don't really understand their politics. The are essentially libertarians. The recent pulled all support from an R senator running for reelection after he gave strong support to Trump. And their opinion about Hillery? From Zerohedge:

The powerful political network helmed by Charles and David Koch is ruling out running advertisements intended to hurt Hillary Clinton, another sign of their insistence on avoiding the presidential race. The Koch network has previously said they will not back Republican candidate Donald Trump, but on Saturday officials told reporters that they would not run negative Clinton spots.

I bet that just shocks the sh*t out of a lot of folks here. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 03:59:04

ROCKMAN wrote:Lots of folks who ever never dug into the brothers very deeply don't really understand their politics. The are essentially libertarians. The recent pulled all support from an R senator running for reelection after he gave strong support to Trump. And their opinion about Hillery? From Zerohedge:

The powerful political network helmed by Charles and David Koch is ruling out running advertisements intended to hurt Hillary Clinton, another sign of their insistence on avoiding the presidential race. The Koch network has previously said they will not back Republican candidate Donald Trump, but on Saturday officials told reporters that they would not run negative Clinton spots.

I bet that just shocks the sh*t out of a lot of folks here. LOL

I can't say as I'm shocked as my assessment of Trump is as low as theirs is.
Their not running the expected anti Hillary adds removes a lot of pressure on her ad budget so is in effect quite helpful to her.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby Newfie » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 06:29:39

Then why not support Johnson?

With recent events that seems a no brainer.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby vtsnowedin » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 08:06:48

Newfie wrote:Then why not support Johnson?

With recent events that seems a no brainer.

I plan to vote for Johnson. Of course it is a moot point for me as Vermont will vote for Hillary even if she is in intensive care on election day.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Postby ennui2 » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 10:56:35

They are libertarians because it's self-serving their fossil-fuel interests to be so. There is no ideological basis to it other than their own greed.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Postby KaiserJeep » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 15:41:53

Time for a reminder about how income levels of various ideologies stack up, since everybody appears to be falling for the tired old cliche that the R's represent wealth and power, and the D's represent the common man.

That used to be true, but the two parties switched places about 20 years back, during Clinton's terms, and right now there are more working class R's and the D's are the party of wealth and power - or they would be, if the Libertarians and other 3rd Parties were not already there.

This chart was compiled by the Pew Research Foundation, and the accompanying text is found here:
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/09/26/161841771/how-income-divides-democrats-republicans-and-independents
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Postby Newfie » Mon 12 Sep 2016, 15:46:36

ennui2 wrote:They are libertarians because it's self-serving their fossil-fuel interests to be so. There is no ideological basis to it other than their own greed.

It appears they are supporting Clinton.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ROCKMAN » Tue 13 Sep 2016, 14:08:19

Newfie - "Then why not support Johnson? With recent events that seems a no brainer." I suspect that since they are smart businessmen they have no interest in "investing" in any project that's certain to fail. I heard a short interview with one of the brothers a year and I think many would be shocked to hear his positions on energy and environmental projection.

Old saying: The race is not always to the swiftest nor the battle to the strongest. But that's not how you make your f*cking bets. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Postby GHung » Tue 13 Sep 2016, 15:02:17

Was it an audio attribution to "koch.com" or a text credit? Could it be a different spelling?

Anyway, the Koch brothers are well known for playing both ends against the middle. Easier to claim 'impartiality' if the question arises. Besides, it's the middle of the political spectrum that seems most threatening to those with real power. Divide and conquer, and all that.

On the other hand, Alex Jones claimed a couple of months ago that the Kochs are supporting Clinton:
http://www.infowars.com/koch-brothers-n ... y-clinton/

...on the other other hand:

Charles Koch agrees with ... Bernie Sanders?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update ... ie-Sanders
In a February 18 Op-Ed in The Washington Post, libertarian billionaire Charles Koch wrote something that nobody ever expected to read: He agrees with Bernie Sanders.

Despite Mr. Sanders continually pointing to Mr. Koch and his brother David Koch as the epitome of what’s wrong with American politics, Koch writes that he agrees that the country’s political and economic system is rigged in favor of the privileged few, and he agrees that our criminal justice system needs reform......
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Postby jjhman » Tue 13 Sep 2016, 22:41:20

I don't think KJ's charts prove anything. As far as I am concerned the Republican party voters consists of two very desparate components. There is the one part that includes virtually all of the electeds and the authoritarian segment of the power players; tycoons, bankers, businees owners and every wannabe rich guy. The second group is the racist, mindless redneck faction brought into the party by the Nixon mob in the wake of the civil rights movement. Party policies include primarily twisting government policy for the advantage of the upper .1% and tricking the rest into believing that they care about god, and family and such.

Democrats really don't seem to care about anything except getting re-elected.
jjhman
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to North America Discussion