Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Packaging becoming OUTRAGEOUSLY DIFFICULT TO OPEN

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Packaging becoming OUTRAGEOUSLY DIFFICULT TO OPEN

Unread postby Gsearch » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 19:02:20

Has anyone here noticed that packaging and other materials are becoming obscenely difficult to open/work with? This all seems to tie back to the Leftist-Mongoloid movement to make everything smaller and micro-sized. I feel like I'm going through an evolutionary transition where it's becoming irresistible to use my teeth and claws for destructive purposes. I now find it easier to open things by biting them and ripping them open in one seamless motion of gorilliod fury. This is often followed by blood-curdling scream of variegated high and low pitch frequencies, and a punitive hulk smash of whatever it was I was holding at the time. The funny thing is that the packaging of today's products is actually stronger/better designed/more reliable than the contents.
Last edited by Gsearch on Thu 22 Oct 2015, 19:23:09, edited 3 times in total.
Gsearch
Permanently Banned

Re: Packaging becoming OUTRAGEOUSLY DIFFICULT TO OPEN

Unread postby Gsearch » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 19:05:33

This is how bad life actually under today's conditions. Millions of years of evolution are being undone before our very eyes.
Gsearch
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:17:06

I have, on occasion, damaged the contents of what is inside the packaging, by the process of opening said packaging.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:58:05

Gsearch wrote:Has anyone here noticed that packaging and other materials are becoming obscenely difficult to open/work with? This all seems to tie back to the Leftist-Mongoloid movement to make everything smaller and micro-sized. I feel like I'm going through an evolutionary transition where it's becoming irresistible to use my teeth and claws for destructive purposes.
So, stick with your black dial phone, Victrola and candlestick. Nobody is forcing you to evolve.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Thu 22 Oct 2015, 22:58:58

Cog wrote:I have, on occasion, damaged the contents of what is inside the packaging, by the process of opening said packaging.
CFL ?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 18:20:03

Gsearch wrote:Has anyone here noticed that packaging and other materials are becoming obscenely difficult to open/work with? This all seems to tie back to the Leftist-Mongoloid movement to make everything smaller and micro-sized. I feel like I'm going through an evolutionary transition where it's becoming irresistible to use my teeth and claws for destructive purposes. I now find it easier to open things by biting them and ripping them open in one seamless motion of gorilliod fury. This is often followed by blood-curdling scream of variegated high and low pitch frequencies, and a punitive hulk smash of whatever it was I was holding at the time. The funny thing is that the packaging of today's products is actually stronger/better designed/more reliable than the contents.

I definitely agree with packaging being more difficult to open.

I think there are several reasons. I've watched this occur over a few decades, by the way.

1). Increasing incidence of shoplifting. Given how much shoplifters supposedly cost, as a Walmart shopper, I'll put up with this to some extent if it helps foil shoplifters.

Before you say item 1 is "stupid", I remember multiple times in the electronics stores I used to frequent, discussing how hard drives and CD's were shoplifted and stuffed under shirts IN THE STORE, when packaging wasn't sufficiently tough, from store clerks.

2). To their credit, since Amazon doesn't have shoplifters (stocking employees are searched at the exits), they sometimes offer frustration-free packaging, as an answer to the common frustration from customers with modern stupid packaging.

3). Materials science has made great strides in the past few decades. I heard engineers babbling on about strength of materials during my career. To some extent, they're doing this to avoid damage to products. Kind of hard to blame them for that.

4). The sad part is how much additional crap this puts in the landfills. Of course, since the average consumer is plotting to fill their garage (and eventually their McMansions' huge garage) with crap, it's not like they shouldn't look in the mirror and shoulder a substantial potion of the blame.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Gsearch » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 19:49:48

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Gsearch wrote:Has anyone here noticed that packaging and other materials are becoming obscenely difficult to open/work with? This all seems to tie back to the Leftist-Mongoloid movement to make everything smaller and micro-sized. I feel like I'm going through an evolutionary transition where it's becoming irresistible to use my teeth and claws for destructive purposes. I now find it easier to open things by biting them and ripping them open in one seamless motion of gorilliod fury. This is often followed by blood-curdling scream of variegated high and low pitch frequencies, and a punitive hulk smash of whatever it was I was holding at the time. The funny thing is that the packaging of today's products is actually stronger/better designed/more reliable than the contents.

I definitely agree with packaging being more difficult to open.

I think there are several reasons. I've watched this occur over a few decades, by the way.

1). Increasing incidence of shoplifting. Given how much shoplifters supposedly cost, as a Walmart shopper, I'll put up with this to some extent if it helps foil shoplifters.

Before you say item 1 is "stupid", I remember multiple times in the electronics stores I used to frequent, discussing how hard drives and CD's were shoplifted and stuffed under shirts IN THE STORE, when packaging wasn't sufficiently tough, from store clerks.

2). To their credit, since Amazon doesn't have shoplifters (stocking employees are searched at the exits), they sometimes offer frustration-free packaging, as an answer to the common frustration from customers with modern stupid packaging.

3). Materials science has made great strides in the past few decades. I heard engineers babbling on about strength of materials during my career. To some extent, they're doing this to avoid damage to products. Kind of hard to blame them for that.

4). The sad part is how much additional crap this puts in the landfills. Of course, since the average consumer is plotting to fill their garage (and eventually their McMansions' huge garage) with crap, it's not like they shouldn't look in the mirror and shoulder a substantial potion of the blame.

Wow. This is beautiful. No really, it's beautiful. For once, a post on on PeakOil.com that wasn't a snot-nosed one-liner. I'm going to step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and come up with the thoughtful response it deserves. Well done.
Gsearch
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 20:24:11

Gsearch wrote:Wow. This is beautiful. No really, it's beautiful. For once, a post on on PeakOil.com that wasn't a snot-nosed one-liner. I'm going to step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and come up with the thoughtful response it deserves. Well done.
He says in a snot-nosed two-liner.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:07:40

Keith_McClary wrote:
Gsearch wrote:Wow. This is beautiful. No really, it's beautiful. For once, a post on on PeakOil.com that wasn't a snot-nosed one-liner. I'm going to step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath, and come up with the thoughtful response it deserves. Well done.
He says in a snot-nosed two-liner.

I'm starting to like the cut of his jib. He is sort of a proto-Cog or so I have been told.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 21:54:35

Gsearch wrote:Has anyone here noticed that packaging and other materials are becoming obscenely difficult to open/work with?

No, not at all.

I carry a small Spyderco knife, and the knife cuts through the new packaging just as easily as it cut through the old packaging.

No problemo.

get yourself a knife or a sharp pair of scissors, dude.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 24 Oct 2015, 04:03:45

What is Leftist-Mongoloid movement?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sat 24 Oct 2015, 13:00:56

radon1 wrote:What is Leftist-Mongoloid movement?

It's like "Electromagnetic gravity induction".
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 13:22:57

radon1 wrote:What is Leftist-Mongoloid movement?

Tibet???
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 17:37:24

pstarr wrote:What happened to Gsearch? He was new blood, grand ideas, a great mind. We will miss him dearly.

Perhaps (s)he was off work for a few days, got bored and set up an account to pass the time.
PS he was active earlier today.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 18:19:53

Keith_McClary wrote:He says in a snot-nosed two-liner.

You could always use a sharp knife. :lol:
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dolanbaker » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 18:24:24

AgentR11 wrote:
Keith_McClary wrote:He says in a snot-nosed two-liner.

You could always use a sharp knife. :lol:

Or as they say on Mythbusters, "when in doubt, C4" :P
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 21:23:03

Probably also because people order stuff from Amazon then return it with the package opened, making the goods nearly worthless.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Mon 26 Oct 2015, 22:00:06

PrestonSturges wrote:Probably also because people order stuff from Amazon then return it with the package opened, making the goods nearly worthless.

I wonder if people return stuff because they can't open the package?
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Gsearch » Wed 28 Oct 2015, 00:58:09

Hey guys, I'm back. Thanks for your posts, I really want to respond to them because they were super good and food for conversation, but it's just so daunting. So much to catch up on, so much to do, and you never have enough time for it all. Sometimes it just gets hard to handle this excessive sensory overload.
Gsearch
Permanently Banned

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion