Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Computing-3D Models, Animation tasks anyone tried?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Computing-3D Models, Animation tasks anyone tried?

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 19:32:42

Hello,

I wanted to open a topic here, has anyone ever done any 3D model creation/animation.

I have used a free piece of software called Blender, Ton Roosendall's program, open source software. It is great stuff, but quite hard to use, might take an average interested users perhaps half a decade to learn the ropes, the key commands are difficult to remember.

I first tried this out nearly ten years ago, ocean animation. The source for that no longer exists, some retired English I think, let go of his personal project.

Nothing has been done to create you know, films like Shrek (great film especially the first one, it was like two years in development before being released in theatres and on Video cassette tape) or Toy Story, it isn't widely used in the industry, like advertising or yeah general stuff for promotion. It was used a little in the Spiderman 3 film, never saw it.

I enjoyed the cartoon when I was young, Peter Parker I think was the guy's name.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Re: Computing-3D Models, Animation tasks anyone tried?

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 20:21:37

I can draw a stick figure on a piece of paper... sorta.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 21:42:29

Back in the '90s a client was a small Jewelry store chain and we did a series of sales/training/ad videos using LightWave.

It was pretty involved in that the point of the vids were to illustrate how a well proportioned diamond would refract and reflect light better than a similar weight diamond with poor proportions. I was pretty surprised in the software because what I thought might be esoteric parameters like angle of incidence and such were actually just an input line. Short clips took hours to render on a fast NT machine with all the juice available at the time

I fiddled with it a bit for various logos and such when the vid producer was backed up but didn't ever become proficient. It is lots of fun but at the time I was trying to figure out digital print which was brand new on the desktop level.

Another interesting open source, free, modeler app is called Blender. My granddaughter told me about it and I downed it but haven't played with it much. Seems pretty full featured for a freebie.

--
Oop! Blender is the one you are talking about!
So yeah, I second! LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Wed 09 Dec 2015, 20:14:54

Lightwave, I know of that. I recall seeing the site back when I was fifteen, I doubt 3D artists would want to know they're profession might not be too useful decades from now..
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby michaellipsey » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 07:07:31

Hello,

I have learnt about 3D model creation/animation f[online] :) But the software used by me was different one. Although, I have heard about blender and yes, it is hard to use. :x

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by Pops on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 10:02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorry Mike, no links in your first posts please. Pops
michaellipsey
Wood
Wood

Unread postby NickyBoy » Mon 04 Jan 2016, 08:43:43

A couple of years ago (before my firstborn arrived) I spent a little of my free time knocking up models in blender and using them in a small multiplayer game I created in Unity.

I always found Blender and Unity quite easy to use, compared to the development tools I use during my day job.

Did you spend much time running through the video tutorials? They should have you up and running in a weekend.
NickyBoy
Peat
Peat

Return to Open Topic Discussion