Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Microbusiness Concepts Sharing

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Microbusiness Concepts Sharing

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 05:09:03

Hi all, to lighten up a smidge around here perhaps, I thought I might break out the laptop & start a thread on a favorite topic of mine- microbusiness- basically a family & friends enterprise designed to create & sustain financial independence. This could really be almost anything.

Over the last few years I did paper start ups twice in the Philippines, with one of these progressing within my family (wife's family), the other being gifted to the local Barangay Captain- Village Chief. The former is a concept I came up with to sell ladies fashion & lollies in the same store- lollies & lingerie, for the mums & kids- it has worked for 3 years now, cost me about $2000 all up to start, decorate, stock etc. The latter was a photographic T shirt printing shop. I negotiated 2 years free rent on the closest surf beach to Manila for 1000 T shirts every 4 years when Barangay elections are held- so the cheif could put his ugly mug on half the town's bellies.In the end wife's health issues took over & I gave him the info I was using for the business plan & he ran with it. I made no money but made a powerful friend in a beautiful place & from memory the business registration was a total of $35.00 US.

In Australia, business start up costs are prohibitive, the general rule of thumb is even for the smallest business, a start up $50k & another $50k line of credit is bare bones minimum. Ie- about 25 times the cost of setting up a similar business in a developing country. I am working on a new project in Australia around solar electric picnic boats. If you look around these are the only growing boat market under the mega yacht class. With input prices dropping, a product seen as very 21'st century cool, suiting the suburban elite, I can build something in my back yard with tools I already own, which should more than pay for it's build cost. I can see similar rigs I guess at $10k builds excluding labour going for $30-$50k.

Some evocative images:

I'm doing a bit of woodcarving for craft markets, very early days & I'd way rather mess about with boats.

In previous efforts in micro business- venetian glass, mobile studio/ organic herb & veg farming/ garden maintenance/ boat maintenance & repair/ harvest contracting/ transport contracting/ recyclables collection & trade (current),

What kinds of micro business have posters here been into or might go into in the future?

What themes will nuance micro & small business opportunity over the coming decade or so?

I am currently depending on people needing to eat fresh fruit & vegetables, JIT contracting, & return trips with recycling paper as a side business. I could keep this job until TEOTWAWKI, but I'm not built like that. It all happens early morning so have a lot of spare daylight hours now I just finished a course at university (phew).
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Microbusiness Concepts Sharing

Unread postby ohanian » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 06:20:03

Seagypsy, I think most people who has a business plan would want to keep their ideas close to their chest because they are worried someone else may steal their ideas from them.

As for making money, the best way is to find an unfulfilled demand which middle class and rich people have. Since these people are lacking in time, I suspect the unfulfilled demand would be in something which does not make sense to people who are poor financially. Like perhaps walking their dogs. Or helping them build their fantasy garden shed.
ohanian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Microbusiness Concepts Sharing

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 02 Dec 2015, 06:42:33

The thing about micro business is it is micro, applicable to local settings & usually replicable many times over. With a global audience in the hundreds I doubt anyone needs to worry about competition showing up from peakoil.com lol ...

Fantasy garden sheds is cool maybe a pirate ship shed or a bunker hidden under a tree...
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion