Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Geek Squad?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Geek Squad?

Unread postby Pops » Sat 05 Dec 2015, 17:02:57

My geek squad question is thus and such:

I have a small (by modern standards) SSD on my laptop, I also have 2 USB pocket drives and a cloud account.

I keep current work on the laptop SSD
I keep an incremental backup of the SSD (Mac Time Machine) on 1 USB drive connected all the time. This is great for stupid overwrites, accidental deletions etc. Also there is a sorta large archive folder.

Another Time Machine backup and archive folder is on a separate USB drive that lives in a fire safe. Time Machine prompts me to run backup on this disk every 10 days. This is the In-Case-Lightning backup.

I also have a 1Tb google Drive cloud account. In it goes the archive folder and a copy of the Time Machine backup file. THis is the In Case House burns down and everything melts backup.

So currently I'm trialing Goodsync to synchronize these 3 locations. It would be great if apple Time Machine would work across devices to incrementally sync my "working" folder and the backups but it is way behind the times on that one. (Mac Time Machine wants a real disk)

Goodsync seems to be working as OK as can be expected.
So anyway, any suggestions on another route or app?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Geek Squad?

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 05 Dec 2015, 22:50:06

You are Apple, I am PC. can't help.

Personally, at work I work off the server, which has a back up. But I also use a synch app to synch to a USB hdd. Which I do most every day. That travels with me for quick access to files. Which I back up over the VPN as I am able.

At home, backing up Quicken I've been a mess. We have the working file, then a back up in the same drive. Then a cloud back up. If I get my act together I make copies to a thumb drive.

I have tried to keep multiple back up drives but always seem to frig it up.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Geek Squad?

Unread postby davep » Sun 06 Dec 2015, 06:27:13

What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Open Topic Discussion