Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Chipotle’s Contamination Crisis

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Chipotle’s Contamination Crisis

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 14:45:58

Inside Chipotle’s Contamination Crisis
Smugness and happy talk about sustainability aren’t working anymore.

Fewer people associate Chipotle with “healthy” now. Three months before Collins was infected with E. coli, five people fell ill eating at a Seattle-area restaurant. By the time local health officials had confirmed a link, the outbreak was over, so no one said anything. In August, 234 customers and employees contracted norovirus at a Chipotle in Simi Valley, Calif., where another worker was infected. Salmonella-tainted tomatoes at 22 outlets in Minnesota sickened 64 people in August and September; nine had to be hospitalized.

Norovirus struck again in late November: More than 140 Boston College students picked up the highly contagious virus from a nearby Chipotle, including half of the men’s basketball team. An additional 16 students and three health-care staff picked it up from the victims. The source? A sick worker who wasn’t sent home although Chipotle began offering paid sick leave in June. In the second week of December, when Chipotle should have been on highest alert, a Seattle restaurant had to be briefly shut down after a health inspection found that cooked meat on the takeout line wasn’t being kept at a high enough temperature.

And in the most recent case, on Dec. 21, the CDC announced it was investigating an outbreak of what seems to be a different and rare version of E. coli 026 that’s sickened five people in two states who ate at Chipotle in mid-November. The company says it had expected to see additional cases. It still doesn’t know which ingredients made people ill.

Almost 500 people around the country have become sick from Chipotle food since July, according to public-health officials. And those are just the ones who went to a doctor, gave a stool sample, and were properly diagnosed. Food-safety experts say they believe with any outbreak the total number of people affected is at least 10 times the reported number. The CDC estimates that 48 million Americans get sick from contaminated food every year.

At Chipotle, three different pathogens caused the five known outbreaks. That wasn’t inevitable or coincidental. “There’s a problem within the company,” says Michael Doyle, the director of the center for food safety at the University of Georgia. Chipotle has gotten big selling food that’s unprocessed, free of antibiotics and GMOs, sometimes organic, sometimes local. “Blah, blah, blah,” says Doug Powell, a retired food-safety professor and the publisher of barfblog.com.

“They were paying attention to all that stuff, but they weren’t paying attention to microbial safety.” Whatever its provenance, if food is contaminated it can still make us sick—or even kill. Millennials may discriminate when they eat, but bacteria are agnostic.
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-chipotle-food-safety-crisis/

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is this chain actually unsafe to eat at? That's an awful lot of outbreaks and sick people.

Funny thing is I've been craving some chipotle burritos lately.. but.. *that is a lot of sick people* yikes.. and the article says it's a problem with the company. Article says they source to local and all organic and all that, but aren't paying attention to microbial safety.

So what do you guys think is going on, is it BECAUSE it's all antibiotic free? Maybe "all organic, not 'the man', no processing" isn't such a good idea?

I have no idea, but I am craving chipotle except I don't want to get sick. 8O
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Chipotle’s Contamination Crisis

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 15:11:54

Chipotle's is doing a great job of providing an authentic Mexican dining experience, complete with some Chipotle's revenge at the end.

PS: I sold my stock in Chipotles some time ago.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 16:20:56

Plantagenet wrote:I sold my stock in Chipotles some time ago.

Sounds like a smart move, there. 8)

Do you have any business insight into what's going on with them? I'm wondering if it's their internal processes that's screwed up or whether the whole model of using organic unprocessed can even work. Apparently, happy animals running free without any antibiotics means sick animals and it's unsanitary.

Maybe "factory farming" is cleaner and safer to consume.

SOMETHING strange is going on about chipotle -- that's 500 people sick, 9 states, over several different outbreaks.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 18:17:09

pstarr wrote:Six, educate yourself. Organic is a food production system overseen by USDA to the same exact health standards as so-called conventional. The food poisoning occurring at Chipotle's is a local or regional health department problem, most likely a central processing, warehousing or distribution center.

But if we can't get all hysterical about an OUTBREAK!, what fun is that ? This thing could kill more people than EBOLA!
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 18:42:57

Anytime you eat out you are taking your life in your hands. Chipotles is by no means the only ones in the food poisoning business.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 18:57:12

Sixstrings wrote:

Anyone have thoughts on this? Is this chain actually unsafe to eat at? That's an awful lot of outbreaks and sick people.

So what do you guys think is going on, is it BECAUSE it's all antibiotic free? Maybe "all organic, not 'the man', no processing" isn't such a good idea?

Six, from the same article, I noticed this (red font mine, for emphasis):

Norovirus struck again in late November: More than 140 Boston College students picked up the highly contagious virus from a nearby Chipotle, including half of the men’s basketball team. An additional 16 students and three health-care staff picked it up from the victims. The source? A sick worker who wasn’t sent home although Chipotle began offering paid sick leave in June.

I think it's the usual with corporations. Trying to save money breaches protocol. When you breach protocol with food, you risk sickening or even killing the customer. (Which as a Monty Python bit in "The Meaning of Life" said, you "must never" do).

The funny thing to me is, that the solution the company seems to plan on adopting, per the article, is to centralize its processing. This means lots of food heavily packaged and full of preservatives, and stored and shipped everywhere. This, IMO, means that Chipotles basically becomes Taco Bell. Since I've never gotten sick from Taco Bell, and pay less than at Chipotles, I'd prefer being practical to snooty and "correct".

The good news it doesn't appear to be anything inherent in organic food which a health-conscious person might use in meal prep at home, as this thread alluded to.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby kanon » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 11:48:29

Sixstrings wrote:Anyone have thoughts on this? Is this chain actually unsafe to eat at? That's an awful lot of outbreaks and sick people.

Funny thing is I've been craving some chipotle burritos lately.. but.. *that is a lot of sick people* yikes.. and the article says it's a problem with the company. Article says they source to local and all organic and all that, but aren't paying attention to microbial safety.

I would satisfy my craving for Chipotle's burritos. You should know that Chipotle is being attacked by a smear advertizing campaign. I think it will make a good study in PR technique.
Led by longtime Washington, DC, lobbyist Richard Berman, who also runs public relations firm Berman & Co., the CCF was started in 1996 to take on activists from all walks of life, including the Humane Society of the United States, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and even former Big Apple Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was the force behind the city’s smoking ban and other health initiatives.

The CCF’s beef with Chipotle is the restaurant’s claim of being GMO-free, antibiotic-free and generally a healthier option than other casual restaurants.
Who's Behind Ad Campaign Against Chipotle

It appears Chipotle is trying to move away from the GMO / Factory Processed food system that dominates the U.S. food supply. The message is "comply or we will destroy you." Even news sources that are supposed to be objective have taken up the "ruin Chipotle" campaign, see http://www.foodsafetynews.com/ for example.

I suppose it is somewhat flattering to this message board that we rate a few plants.
kanon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 13:08:32

I personally think Chipotle is good quality food, and the model of more preparation in the store for freshness opens them up to more vulnerability of employee contamination in prep and perhaps the serving methodology as well than a fast food franchise running from prepped supplies from tightly controlled regional preparation factories.

I also strongly suspect that declaring GMO, antibiotic, and therefore healthier makes them a target for being "nipped in the bud" by large food industry players who do not want such sentiment to gain sway. I
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 14:54:58

Centers for Disease Control Chipotle update:

At A Glance

Case Count: 53
States: 9
Deaths: 0
Hospitalizations: 20

Consumers should contact a health care provider if they recently became ill with diarrheal symptoms after eating at a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant.

CDC will advise the public if specific steps are identified that consumers can take to protect themselves.
http://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2015/o26-11-15/

Chipotle tweaks cooking post-E. coli

Onions will be dipped in boiling water to kill germs before they’re chopped. Raw chicken will be marinated in re-sealable plastic bags, rather than in bowls. Cilantro will be added to freshly cooked rice so the heat gets rid of microbes in the garnish.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/12/24/chipotle-tweaks-cooking-post-e--coli.html

Chipotle CEO, "I am deeply sorry."

Chipotle's E. coli outbreaks leave us hungry for answers, not its food

My favorite off-the-menu item to ask for at Chipotle Mexican Grill is the large quesadilla with chicken.

My least favorite is E. coli.

No one who peddles food can afford this kind of scare. Imagine McDonald's under the kind of heat lamp where Chipotle finds itself yet again.

Also, as the company noted in its most recent annual report, the cooking methods and ingredients for which it prides itself may put it "at a higher risk for food-borne illness outbreaks than some competitors."

The Chipotle website spells out its "food with integrity" stance, articulating its commitment to "vegetables grown in healthy soil" and "pork from pigs allowed to freely root and roam outdoors or in deeply bedded barns."

Says the company: "With every burrito we roll or bowl we fill, we're working to cultivate a better world."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ct-rosenthal-chipotle-ecoli-1227-biz-20151223-column.html

Well, that right there says the company already did a report that concluded their unique business model puts their customers "at a higher risk for food-borne illness outbreaks than some competitors."

Was this annual report BEFORE the outbreaks? So they knew about it, in advance?

Chipotle opening delayed due to water leak
140 sickened at Cleveland Circle location

BOSTON —A Chipotle in Cleveland Circle expected to reopen Thursday morning after a norovirus outbreak remains closed after an overnight water leak, officials say.
http://www.wcvb.com/news/chipotle-reopens-thursday-after-norovirus-outbreak/37115732
Last edited by Sixstrings on Thu 24 Dec 2015, 15:05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 15:14:22

pstarr wrote:Doesn't Chipotle's pretend to be local or something? Maybe if the company dropped the pretension and acted like a multinational food corporation it is, things would be fixed. Just do what the rest do: chop the stuff up all together and pass the mess through a chlorine bath. And if that doesn't work than irradiate.

I watched a bloomberg tv report on it. They've got a problem with their supply chain:

https://youtu.be/6BrDiWEEjRY

They can't figure out where the source of the contamination is.

From what I read, Chipotle is a "$22 billion burrito empire." Well, they ought to have the money to make consumer safety the #1 part of their food integrity stance.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 15:27:22

Outcast_Searcher wrote:The funny thing to me is, that the solution the company seems to plan on adopting, per the article, is to centralize its processing. This means lots of food heavily packaged and full of preservatives, and stored and shipped everywhere. This, IMO, means that Chipotles basically becomes Taco Bell. Since I've never gotten sick from Taco Bell, and pay less than at Chipotles, I'd prefer being practical to snooty and "correct".

The burritos there are actually very good (I think, anyway). But it's not rocket science, it's just rice and beans and meat etc.

They should be able to figure something out.. one can make a good tasting burrito just from ingredients at the walmart..

The good news it doesn't appear to be anything inherent in organic food which a health-conscious person might use in meal prep at home, as this thread alluded to.

Well, maybe it is.. I just have a hunch that "happy farms" with the pigs running wild, may not actually be as sanitary. :?:

(I care about the animals, but people are #1)

edit: I'm sounding conservative again. :lol: The bottom line is this is a business story, they've got a supply chain problem, they don't know where the contamination came from. To know more about the issue, one would have to dig into who their suppliers are. To stay in business as a national chain then they've got to get control of their supplies.

And, it seems like maybe they've got some food prep problems. Maybe the ingredients shouldn't be on the front counter, without any lids, and then the line of customers is right next to the ingredients too. Perhaps there should be a kitchen with more work area space.

Whatever problems they have, it's a *process* problem. (per that one article they did an annual report about it that recognized it's a higher risk vs. their competitors, would be interesting to see what the report says)

Look how it's all crammed together, the whole restaurant and the cash register too is all on top of the ingredients:

And the sneeze shield is too low, separating the line of customers from the ingredients.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 19:05:47

You ever see how onions are transported around? On big semi truck trailers in mesh bags exposed to everything in the world before they get to your restaurant. From road grime to sewer water splashed up on them. Not to even mention the sanitation or lack thereof of the people who pluck them from the field. All up and down the supply chain, there are possible sources of e-coli contamination.

Whenever you eat fresh vegetables you are taking a risk. Grow your own if possible and control the risk factors.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 01:53:57

OS wrote: "I've never gotten sick from Taco Bell"

That's interesting. I've never NOT gotten sick from Taco Bell.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 02:10:44

It's ironic because Chipotle made such a big deal about going GMO free, and now they have two outbreaks. Food contamination is a serious problem that kills about 3,000 Americans per year. Organic is not protection, and foodies seem oblivious when they do things like drink raw milk. Getting sick and possibly dying doesn't seem to worry people obsessed with eating "healthy" even if literally kills them.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 25 Dec 2015, 20:03:28

PrestonSturges wrote:It's ironic because Chipotle made such a big deal about going GMO free, and now they have two outbreaks. Food contamination is a serious problem that kills about 3,000 Americans per year. Organic is not protection, and foodies seem oblivious when they do things like drink raw milk. Getting sick and possibly dying doesn't seem to worry people obsessed with eating "healthy" even if literally kills them.

I agree.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion