Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What will 2016 bring?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What will 2016 bring?

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 15:50:38

Thought I would create a thread whereby posters can chime in as to what may occur in 2016. I would add please try and stay within the parameters of the Geo-political-Geo-economic-Geo-social matters. I limit it to 2016 as I think the planet is becoming more volatile and making further off predictions is pretty baseless. So here I go. I believe War will continue in the ME, the refugee problem will get even worse, oil prices will finally go higher, the World economic situation while not collapsing will continue to stagnate, more and more protests around the world (this one is pretty easy one to call), Hillary will probably win the Presidency, the climate system will continue to give us shock and awe especially in the Arctic. So all in all not necessarily something to look forward to. Just enjoy the present and let the chips fall where they may. So lets keep this thread up and running maybe throughout this coming year. Happy New Year to everyone. :)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: What will 2016 bring?

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 18:13:21

I predict global economic growth will continue in 2016, as it has since spring of 2009.

I predict the fast-crash doomer echo chamber will continue to claim a global recession (or even depression) is underway, continuing to ignore the fact that words have precise meanings. For example, China having growth projected at sub 7% is still lots of growth, and consistent with the mainstream economists' projections (and history the past several years) with growth gradually slowing as China's economy gradually matures.

I predict further volatility in oil prices, but that the average price in 2016 won't go below $30, as the overall long term loss in production due to low prices demonstrates that supply/demand will indeed come back into balance, and investors realize that the price won't continue to spiral down.

I predict the US presidential race will be full of the usual empty promises, and that it doesn't matter who wins -- BAU politics with no real answers to the US debt bomb or providing meaningful educations to make a more internationally competitive workforce over time. Sadly, there is NO candidate which I can even get a little enthusiastic about.

I predict green sources of energy will continue to make slow progress, that the greenies will continue to claim green nirvana is coming "real soon now" and the AGW deniers will continue to claim that green energy is a disaster for the economy.

Speaking of AGW, I predict another warm year for 2016. If not a record warm year, I predict the denialists will reset the clock to 2015 and claim there is no AGW, just a one year cooling trend. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby GHung » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 19:28:46

I'm going way out on a limb here and predicting that 2016 will be a lot like 2015, except for the political circus cranking up into high gear; Trump vs. Clinton may be more fun than Ren and Stimpy. Inertia will mean that change will continue to occur at a rate not likely to awaken the frogs in their pots, and the effects of lower oil/energy costs will still be trickling down through most of the year.

The Saudis have deep enough pockets to keep the lid on for now. The Putin/Obama chess match centered around ISIS will continue to be the disaster capitalists' primary game of choice, and Obama's pledge to get combat troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan will prove to have been hollow promises, though the MSM will largely continue to ignore how little has changed with over a decade of pissing away the prols' blood and treasure. That shit-stick will be passed on to yet another 'commander in chief'.

Barring some major black swan, the long slow train wreck of the industrial age will continue to play out, the biosphere will continue to degrade at greater rates, and the masses will become even more distracted and deluded.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 19:48:38

I will learn to play the banjo. Oops! Not Geo.

Debt and deflation may well rule the day. Gridlock will continue in Congress no matter who wins. The GOP will revolt if they don't win. Denial of reality will reach a fevered pitch. The terrorists will win the fear game.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Lore » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 20:59:45

MonteQuest wrote:I will learn to play the banjo. Oops! Not Geo.

Debt and deflation may well rule the day. Gridlock will continue in Congress no matter who wins. The GOP will revolt if they don't win. Denial of reality will reach a fevered pitch. The terrorists will win the fear game.

Terrorism never wins, it only holds court. Nature in the end abhors chaos.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 31 Dec 2015, 23:34:38

I imagine 2016 will be a bit like 2015 just a little further along the plateau.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 11:38:56

It's been 7 years since the postponement of the of the Big Reset.

- Average business cycles peak to peak duration since WWII has been 68 month.
- Last peak was 12/07 so... 96 months?
- Last year oil, High Yield bonds, and commodities all crashed hard, just like '07.
- An estimated 70% of investors lost money last year, the only people who didn't lose held cash

just sayin...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Cog » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 11:48:55

Another recession is a likely event.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 11:49:10

Based upon what Pops is saying and others I will add another prediction. LTO is going to encounter big difficulties, investment will dry up and stricter risk aversion standards will contribute to that. All this appears to be already happening. We definitely seem to be in a deflationary cycle. Beginning of year I expect prices to remain low but come summer with the driving season expect demand to rise and move oil prices up.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 17:19:55

Nah, we will have sunshine and lollipops by day, rainbows and ice cream by night!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 01 Jan 2016, 19:11:04

Cog wrote:Another recession is a likely event.

What's wrong with the one we got?
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion