Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What are you thankful for?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

What are you thankful for?

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 04:17:24

Since much of what we talk about on this site is doom and gloom, thought I would create a simple thread about what positives are in our lives at this time. What things are we thankful for as this new year begins. We know the future seems ominous but lets see the positive at this moment. I am thankful for being alive, for having a close biological family as well as my wonderful girlfriend. I am also thankful for this site that serves as a repository for all our views, knowledge, doubts, predictions, thoughts etc. Finally, I am thankful for being a human who can wonder and have awe upon contemplating my own life and the universe. :) Thoughts?
Last edited by onlooker on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 05:07:08, edited 1 time in total.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: What are you thankful for?

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 05:06:09

Im thankful that I won the lottery in life by being born a white man in a first world country.
Obviously health is massively important along with good relationships.
Knowing if needed I can rely on good social safety nets makes life a whole lot less stressful too.
PO Zombie Apocalypse being delayed is kinda nice too
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 06:34:13

I am thankful for Lorelei and Killian, my twin grandkids, who just turned 7 months old. They are trying to transition from bottled breast milk and formula to solid food, and presently are a bit baffled as to why people keep putting strangely colored substances in their mouths.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 07:24:41

God, family, the US Constitution, and Eugene Stoner.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 12:56:56

Concur shaved; free, white, rich, enough sense to get out of the rain (if not much more).

This is a great period to be living I think, or at least my experience has been good. I've been able to mix learning, working and playing for most of my life without falling into too many ruts along the way.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby sparky » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 13:45:54

I'm thankful for last year ,did the Compostella pilgrimage , started from Vezelay and covered the 1600 Kms on foot
lot of beautiful people ,old and young ,from many countries , walking to discover something about themselves .
after three millions steps , I don't know much more but feel good about it !

proverb from the way ..."a fool who walk know more about the world than a wise man which sit at home "
and my favorite .........." better to drink bad wine with good people than good wine with bad people "
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 02 Jan 2016, 19:39:36

Thankful for the values that my depression era parents instilled in me.

Like hard work, living frugally, saving, and investing. It's nice to have choices, and not be on the edge economically. It's sad that the vast majority of Americans are apparently unwilling to make the short term sacrifices in spending and lifestyle to get off the economic edge of disaster.

Sadly, for many of these people, they were never taught any differently.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 03:38:06

I am thankful for the Bill of Rights, which for the most part allows me to live as an anarchist.

I am thankful for my lifelong association with the US Military, first as an enlisted dependent, then an active duty officer, and now retired. I was sent to amazing places and did some amazing stuff. I also got first hand observation time on many different areas and different cultures of the world.

I am thankful for the internet and the vast amount of information available at my fingertips. I have hope the internet will save the world.

I am thankful I discovered Permaculture Design, both for it's guiding ethics and making me aware that everything relates to everything and how to make them self supporting.

Finally, I am thankful for my 9 MO granddaughter, who has shown me again that learning is an awesome way to go through life. It has given me a mission to see that love of learning, is not quashed by the current educational system.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 08:27:21

I and my Wife have a lot to be thankful for and we discuss it on occasion.

First the good luck to have been born when and where we were. Then that we have enjoyed good health and fair intelligence. But most of all for one another. We just celebrated our 25th and we each have had bad spouses before. We have had our hard times together. But now we are happy as clams, and twice as smart.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:00:32

Newfie wrote:I and my Wife have a lot to be thankful for and we discuss it on occasion.

First the good luck to have been born when and where we were. Then that we have enjoyed good health and fair intelligence. But most of all for one another. We just celebrated our 25th and we each have had bad spouses before. We have had our hard times together. But now we are happy as clams, and twice as smart.

It is the very simple things, as you have described, which make us happy and thankful.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 12:58:16

Ah yes, simple things for simple people. It is, after all, all we can comprehend.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 14:35:22

Newfie wrote:Ah yes, simple things for simple people. It is, after all, all we can comprehend.

Comprehending all of the information available in the entire universe would not make us happy. A child's smile or an evening sunset is worth more than all of that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 05 Jan 2016, 14:44:00

I love my guns more than your child.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Open Topic Discussion