Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

$2 Daydreams

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

$2 Daydreams

Unread postby Pops » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 14:32:09

Gonna gamble, buy a Powerball ticket if the jackpot goes over $500M. The entertainment value of daydreaming how to spend $150 mil or whatever is pretty good from a $2 ticket as long as you can get 3 or 4 days out of it. Crap, a movie is what, $10 an hour?

I'm thinking I'd buy a few thousand acres of dirt and start a capitalist commune out in flyover.us. Maybe pick up some little Kansas town that Brownback bankrupted too. Buy up a few dozen houses and rehab them for efficiency, put in some fiber to the front door, sell them to hip-doomster-coders with a deeded permanent membership at the farm co-op and coffee shop.

Or maybe just hookers and dope.
dunno
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: $2 Daydreams

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 14:44:08

Pops wrote:Gonna gamble, buy a Powerball ticket if the jackpot goes over $500M. The entertainment value of daydreaming how to spend $150 mil or whatever is pretty good from a $2 ticket as long as you can get 3 or 4 days out of it. Crap, a movie is what, $10 an hour?

I'm thinking I'd buy a few thousand acres of dirt and start a capitalist commune out in flyover.us. Maybe pick up some little Kansas town that Brownback bankrupted too. Buy up a few dozen houses and rehab them for efficiency, put in some fiber to the front door, sell them to hip-doomster-coders with a deeded permanent membership at the farm co-op and coffee shop.

Or maybe just hookers and dope.
dunno

I played the lottery once and that was in 2015. I vowed that if I won I would give half to charity. I hit the powerball but nothing else which I recall returned $4 to me. Gave $2 to a panhandler and bought another ticket with the remaining $2. I lost.

However, the fun was in all the daydreams of what to do if I won. I can see why people get addicted.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 19:25:23

I would probably use the $2 to buy some magic beans
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 21:55:30

Ayup a dream for $2.00! This time when I win the 150 million take home or what ever it is I think I'll set myself up as a banker. How could they deny me a license when I can provide 100 percent reserves? I'd pay depositors three percent on their average balance and actually loan out mortgages to working people at five to six percent. Car loans at decent rates for basic transportation and higher rates for stupid big trucks and SUVs. Student loans at great rates for smart kids with a good paying job in their future and very high rates for those that are going to end up saying do you want fries with that.
I'd have to hire a staff that could make all that work plus I might hire a half dozen gold diggers to make the front office look nice so I could enjoy the entertainment factor as they compete for the gold.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 23:52:51

Naw, I'm good with dope and hookers!

But I guess I'm already half way there, been a dope most of my life. :)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 Jan 2016, 23:55:10

If I ever get into a writing mood il tell y'all the story of when my nutzoid first Wife went waaaay over the line in stringing out that fantasy.

Woooo, wooooo, wooooo!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby MD » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 05:29:19

There is the dream. Then there is the reality:

Every con artist, family member, extortionist, kidnapper, and criminal of every sort running at you from every direction.

There is the temptation to indulge in every debauchery known to man, thus subjecting your foggy-minded self to influence by the above mentioned miscreants.

linky:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+pe ... 8&oe=utf-8

Stick to daydreams. If you do happen to win, it might be better to burn the ticket!
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 06:40:39

My theory is that most people who buy lottery tickets are Democrats. It is little wonder they do such foolish things with their lottery winnings, since they already have a track record of bad judgment.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 07:14:38

My theory is its people who just sick of waiting for the money to trickle down.
The rich should just be happy they are dreaming of lottery wins instead of revolution.
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 07:34:38

Poor people are poor for good reason. When confronted by their poorness, the only thought in their mind is to steal from someone else who has more, rather than improve their position through hard work and education.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 08:26:07

Yup, that's just ignorant. I grew up poor from a family, from a nation, that was very poor. I'm not poor, somewhat through hard work and good genes. But mostly through good luck. And I'm a Democrat.

I don't think I'm all that unusual.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 10:52:38

Newfie wrote:Yup, that's just ignorant. I grew up poor from a family, from a nation, that was very poor. I'm not poor, somewhat through hard work and good genes. But mostly through good luck. And I'm a Democrat.

I don't think I'm all that unusual.

Agreed, my parents grew up during the reign of FDR and were/are life long Democrats even voting for Jimmy Carter in 1980. I however have been an independent voter voting Libertarian most of the time and am the second of their seven children to have a college degree. How people vote or what party they affiliate themselves with has a lot more to do with personality than income level. My ancestors were farmers right up until the 1960's and a few of my cousins still make their living that way. Farming has never been the province of the rich, and nearly all the small farms around my part of North America have gone out of business. I grew up helping work the farm founded by one of my great grandparents in the 1840's that is still run today by one of those cousins. He was able to expand a bit as neighbors threw in the towel, but he is nothing near the size of those agribusiness farms out in Kansas and Nebraska.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:15:18

Alright, $650mil, got my $2 in hand!

I think there are a few states where you can remain anonymous, CA ain't one I'm pretty sure. I just saw there no state tax tho. But yeah, better expect to be movin and buying some new papers to avoid the long lost cousins. Heck, that in itself could be an entire stoplights worth of dreaming depending on one's cousins! lol.

Yeah, the BankOfSnowedIn, I like it! Kind of a combination Hooters/Building & Loan... I'd bank there.

I don't let kidnappers intrude on my dreams any more than I worry about Home Invasion when I answer the door to the Girls Scouts. As for temptations I have indulged plenty already so I don't let that put me off either. It is daydream after all. Not a life goal. LOL

If anything messes with my dreaming it's that I wouldn't be able to convert the bank-check to real value fast enough, before... youknow. Usually I wind up with land, Lots of Land.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:39:59

Pops wrote:Yeah, the BankOfSnowedIn, I like it! Kind of a combination Hooters/Building & Loan... I'd bank there.

Now nothing tacky now. There would be nothing wrong in having the loan officer considering your loan be a nine point five dressed NY front office sharp.
Would have to provide equal employment opportunity to guys and those that are beauty challenged but they could be researching stocks and other investments in the back rooms.
I would have to conduct a worldwide search for these beautiful people. I think I'll start on the beeches in Tahiti . I suppose it would improve my chances if I went out and bought a ticket. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 07 Jan 2016, 12:06:26

Pops wrote:I think there are a few states where you can remain anonymous, CA ain't one I'm pretty sure. I just saw there no state tax tho. But yeah, better expect to be movin and buying some new papers to avoid the long lost cousins. Heck, that in itself could be an entire stoplights worth of dreaming depending on one's cousins! lol.

Don't go changing yourself, just hire some goons to keep the riff-raff away.

My goons will be an all-female ninja squad.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MD » Fri 08 Jan 2016, 06:09:58

dinopello wrote:
Pops wrote:I think there are a few states where you can remain anonymous, CA ain't one I'm pretty sure. I just saw there no state tax tho. But yeah, better expect to be movin and buying some new papers to avoid the long lost cousins. Heck, that in itself could be an entire stoplights worth of dreaming depending on one's cousins! lol.

Don't go changing yourself, just hire some goons to keep the riff-raff away.

My goons will be an all-female ninja squad.

Goons for yourself, your kids, your parents, Your grandkids, and everyone else you care about. No thanks. Burn the ticket! Better yet, don't buy one in the first place.
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby dinopello » Fri 08 Jan 2016, 08:28:01

MD wrote:Goons for yourself, your kids, your parents, Your grandkids, and everyone else you care about. No thanks. Burn the ticket! Better yet, don't buy one in the first place.

So cold and heartless! Goons gotta eat too. Go ahead, hire some goons. Help eliminate goon unemployment. Or just give your winning ticket to me and I'll take care of it for you.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 08 Jan 2016, 08:52:09

Cog wrote:Poor people are poor for good reason. When confronted by their poorness, the only thought in their mind is to steal from someone else who has more, rather than improve their position through hard work and education.

Social parasites work in different ways. The criminal element of the chronic poor is a mosquito bite. The bankers and lobbyists who rig the system are a cancer.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 08 Jan 2016, 09:20:54

MD wrote:Goons for yourself, your kids, your parents, Your grandkids, and everyone else you care about. No thanks. Burn the ticket! Better yet, don't buy one in the first place.

There are alternatives. For example you could build your sustainable permaculture community and every Goon would have their own family living there giving them the emotional investment in making it work. Or if you want to avoid the goon squad for your own life start a charity of your own or donate it to the charity of your choice, like Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

https://www.stjude.org/
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 08 Jan 2016, 10:37:45

Doubled my dreams by buying a $4.00 ticket. Guy in front of me in line spent $50.
I've always called the lottery the "Stupidity tax" as the stupider you are the more you pay. I try to keep payments low but for $400 million take home a little bit comes due.
:roll:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion