Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dense

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Dense

Unread postby JV153 » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 08:53:49

Once when I was high school.. a student sat down beside me.. showed me his drivers license, and said.. " I weigh 155 kg. Thick. Dense. "

What do you guys make of that one ?
JV153

Re: Dense

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 09:38:32

JV153 wrote:Once when I was high school.. a student sat down beside me.. showed me his drivers license, and said.. " I weigh 155 kg. Thick. Dense. "

What do you guys make of that one ?

As a heavy fellow myself I think they were trying to convince themselves more than you, unless he was 6'6" and a football linebacker.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JV153 » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:27:06

He did play football, and I remember his name - but this one was quite an unusual statement - I immediately got the sense of metrics - he weighed 155 lbs, which was on the US driver's license. That was over 24 years ago.
JV153

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:33:41

JV153 wrote:He did play football, and I remember his name - but this one was quite an unusual statement - I immediately got the sense of metrics - he weighed 155 lbs, which was on the US driver's license. That was over 24 years ago.

So are you saying he misspoke, he ignored or didn't know about the English measurement system, or something else?

IMO, as an American who as a child watched with amusement as my dad via his job at IBM (an engineer) tried to convince people at IBM and in engineering in general to move to support the metric system, and therefore join the rest of the world, ending the madness of two sets of tools, the math of English measurement conversions, REMEMBERING English measurement units, etc., I find our ongoing attachment to the English system rather moronic.

Of course,my dad's efforts failed. (It was his primary job/title for awhile).

To me, with the US as the odd man out, I certanly don't blame any US immigrant for not being "up" on US measurements.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JV153 » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:49:58

Clear statement. This was Canada, not the US.

Is there something surprising about this or what ? I think he was referring to grades, a form of metric, plus a reference to drivers getting overweight... maybe.. or it might be the name of a band ?

Just a conversation starter.
JV153

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 17:56:34

JV153 wrote:Clear statement. This was Canada, not the US.

Is there something surprising about this or what ? I think he was referring to grades, a form of metric, plus a reference to drivers getting overweight... maybe.. or it might be the name of a band ?

Just a conversation starter.

My bad. I assumed from the "US driver's license" that he was an immigrant to the US. Sometimes it's hard to be sure the context or assumptions behind a particular post or thread (or I'm getting old and stupid, so either way as I said -- my bad).

In the context of it being in Canada, my whole issue/curiosity on the kgs vs lbs goes away.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JV153 » Wed 01 Feb 2017, 18:05:46

Well, I thought that this was funny because of the multiple terms referring to physical, material properties.. makes sense for a football player. He was a bit of an actor too.

Just posted this here because I thought it might be funny, lighten things up a bit.
JV153

Return to Open Topic Discussion