Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Earth Shaking event.

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Earth Shaking event.

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 17:14:09

What event in the near term or foreseeable future if any do people believe can be a catalyst for a large scale change in consciousness whereby people including the decision makers elites recognize the need for immediate drastic changes and are mobilized to implement such changes? One knows for example that WWII really galvanized people to act decisively and earnestly for the objective of winning the war. So any thoughts? I personally think that a world-wide economic meltdown or a world-wide pandemic are the most likely events to trigger such a chain reaction. Though a major war among the major powers could certainly also usher in this change but would be a perilous eventuality that could get out of control.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Earth Shaking event.

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 17:52:26

If people started shooting about 3 per week of the elite, political, or corporate ruler classes, it would, in my opinion, cause change.
Other than that, probably nothing would change their minds about anything.
So don't hold your breath till change begins.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 18:04:49

I'm with Hawk. I'm not really sure shooting 3 a week would make any changes, but it would still be an improvement.

But basically we're screwed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 18:55:03

Unfortunately, you guys are right the time for action has come and gone. I just was bored so I came up with this new topic. Sorry.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 19:05:31

Thanks Pete for the encouragement I appreciate it.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby GHung » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 20:00:35

pstarr wrote:onlooker, I have always considered our chances of turning this ship of fools around to be slight. But I had hope. That is what humans do. No need to apologize. We will continue to fight the good fight.

Newfie, hawk you guys are calling for rebellion. It's not necessary. It will come on its own in the ugliest fashion possible. Trick it to know how close you need to be to to the rebellion in order to survive.

'Turning this ship of fools around?' What humans do? Not really. History is replete with human civilizations rising and falling/collapsing, including dark ages (as Greer predicts; post industrial age).

Tainter described it well, and we're right on track, especially with our evermore complex attempts at solutions to the quite fundamental predicament of overshooting our resource base. Excepting technology, we humans are quite predictable, collectively. The only differences this time are the complexity of our technology, the scale of our civilization, and that we're running out of planet to exploit. This is going to be a really big, long, slow train wreck. Or not. Either way, most won't survive.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 20:25:35

What event in the near term or foreseeable future if any do people believe can be a catalyst for a large scale change in consciousness whereby people including the decision makers elites recognize the need for immediate drastic changes and are mobilized to implement such changes?

When ordinary non-elite workers can't afford necessities, such as food, shelter and medical care...oh wait that happened already...

Any time now would be my guess. Wait for financial collapse, and 1 month without the food stamp program or public welfare.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 18 Feb 2016, 00:09:01

Amazing how many understand history. The US citizens didn't VOLUNTARILY mobilize to fight the Axis. We were content to sit back and watch FOR YEARS as the Japanese raped and plundered one Asian country after another at the same time ascGermany was doing the same in Europe.

And are we so much more compassionate today then the "greatest generation"? Or are Americans going to sit back and idlely watch the POD devastate the world until we are forced to act in our own self defence as we did in the early 40's?

Trick question: we've been doing that more then 30 years. Not always very successfully at times but we keep trying. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics