Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

NASA may try to move Earth

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

NASA may try to move Earth

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 18:29:35

Yes you read it right. Either because of global warming or because well it would add another 6 billion years of life to our planet supposedly. What can I say all I can do is smile :-D
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ign=buffer
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: NASA may try to move Earth

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 21:17:45

Interesting. there was a prophetess named Vanga in Bulgaria. She died in 1996. She predicted a slight change in the Earth's orbit.

Other predictions include the melting of the polar ice caps. (before there was even a hint)

China as a major economic power, while developing countries were controlled by exploiters.

9/11

That Muslims would populate Europe.

Human Machine interface.

Gordon Brown as PM when nobody had ever heard of him. Putin, Merkel, Netanyahu.

Her predictions seem to have been good on substance, put people who worked with her said she did not like to give dates on catastrophes, because of the effect it would have on those hearing it.

Thus, dates were unreliable. She predicted a world war in Europe in which nuclear weapons would be used and devastate the population there, followed by a Muslim caliphate, as Muslims moved north.

The war would start conventionally. It was supposed to have happened while Gordon Brown was PM in the UK.

She mentioned Ukraine, Lithuania, Estonia, and Poland in connection with this.

Much of what she predicted seemed outrageous at the time, but from today's perspective they no longer seem so outrageous.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 17 Feb 2016, 23:12:13

But all my friends go to school here!
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 18 Feb 2016, 06:37:45

PrestonSturges wrote:But all my friends go to school here!

You'll make new friends in the Kuiper belt, Preston. :lol:

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 18 Feb 2016, 09:05:06

"It's just basic rocket science." Love it.

What could go wrong?

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 18 Feb 2016, 09:22:49

I just hope they keep our planet within the goldilocks zone, or else we will not have a planet capable of sustaining much life. Wait a minute aren't we already in the process of making our planet incapable of sustaining life. Oops. :-D :razz: :twisted:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby JV153 » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 09:35:40

Is it April 1st again ?
JV153

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 10:10:54

JV153 wrote:Is it April 1st again ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 10:50:09

Because America gets to decide for the rest of humanity what will be done with planet Earth.

Talk about self-anointed exceptionalist hubris.

Maybe America will be moved first.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:06:12

dissident wrote:Because America gets to decide for the rest of humanity what will be done with planet Earth.

Talk about self-anointed exceptionalist hubris.

Maybe America will be moved first.

It is like from the movie "The Day the Earth stood still", when the Alien asked to speak to the leaders of the Earth. Well the Secretary of State of the US said that is okay, the Alien could talk with her. So the Alien asked do you represent ALL the people of the Earth? haha.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:09:53

If you look at the article linked too you will see it was published
Saturday 9 June 2001 21.18 EDT
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JV153 » Sat 27 Feb 2016, 12:38:21

Is Alfred E Neuman running NASA, or what ?
JV153

Unread postby Kylon » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 01:12:44

Reminds me of an episode of Futurama, where all of Robot kind is sentenced to death because they polluted so much that it caused the planet to overheat.

So all the robots were on one island, and they all vented their fumes at one time in the same direction, and it moved Earth slightly away from the Sun, stopping the catastrophe.

I'm really glad to hear that NASA is going to save the world with a possible, doable last minute type of solution that could theoretically work (not without risk though).

This means I don't need to worry about it anymore. It can be somebody else's problem.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 02:15:12

Im worried my bananas will take longer to ripen
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 18:30:58

Kylon wrote:Reminds me of an episode of Futurama, where all of Robot kind is sentenced to death because they polluted so much that it caused the planet to overheat.

So all the robots were on one island, and they all vented their fumes at one time in the same direction, and it moved Earth slightly away from the Sun, stopping the catastrophe.

I'm really glad to hear that NASA is going to save the world with a possible, doable last minute type of solution that could theoretically work (not without risk though).

This means I don't need to worry about it anymore. It can be somebody else's problem.

I'm a "Futurama" fan too, due to their great points about human weakness.

So simply expand this to the generic "You're ignorant. Future technological advances will (magically) solve the entire climate change and pollution problem!", and you've encapsulated the (vaguely) rational right wing "solution" to the problem, (just in case they're wrong).

Congratulations. At least you realize there is an element of risk.

Given the crashed Mars NASA probe in '98, where they couldn't coordinate metric vs. English measurements, I hope your "worry free" attitude is justified.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I feel so much better, given recent months' data. (NOT)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Kylon » Sun 27 Mar 2016, 17:57:58

They probably wouldn't mess this up. Primarily because there is a huge military application here.

Imagine the United States Government, having thousands of Asteroids in orbit around there Earth, ready to be deployed anywhere the U.S is having a problem.

No nuclear fallout, no radiation, just death from above, a hurling rock of doom coming from outer space to obliterate the U.S enemies.

It's like nuclear weapons, except U.S corporations can move in afterwords and harvest whatever resources were there, without having to worry about the resources being contaminated by radiation.

So yah, it's not just a "lets help save the planet" kind of thing. It's something the U.S government and the major corporations in the U.S and large banks could quickly recoup their cost from. The military advantage would be such they could in the long run easily make 100 fold what it cost them to do the operation, if they did it right (with robots with at least a minimal level of generalized intelligence, which could be achieved by planning for the majority of contingencies).

You see for the U.S military/corporations this would be a super gravy train. However normally there would be opposition from militarizing space, from collecting Asteroids to pummel into the Earth. But if everybody is getting wiped out from global warming, then countries may actually BEG the U.S to do this, and then after the U.S has moved the Earth a little ways away from it's previous position, then they recoup their cost by extracting concessions from all of these countries.

In the process the U.S military develops all the technology to militarize space, gets the support of the American people (and the rest of the world) for nuclear fission based rocket propelled spaceships (a very dirty way of flying into space, but super efficient and cheap). And with the development of a cheap nuclear powered space shuttle program the U.S corporations then have the viability to actually start sending out remote mining droids (the same technology for harvesting asteroids could be used to harvest mineral rich asteroids, thus providing the U.S a source of nuclear fuel, and expensive minerals).

So yah, I think they might actually do it. If for no other reason than the tactical military advantage of asteroids as weapons. Or weapons that function like nuclear weapons but allow you to extract all the resources afterwords.
Kylon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Wed 13 Apr 2016, 05:41:27

Funny idea (auto-translated)

- The solution of the problem lies in an unexpected direction, namely, let's take a spaceship very small.

https://translate.google.ru/translate?s ... authuser=0

Yuri Milner - RBC: "Let's make a spacecraft weighing Grams"

The investor Yuri Milner will invest $ 100 million in the project mission to Alpha Centauri. For this ship to be built that can develop a speed of 160 million km / h. In an interview with RBC Milner told about the details of interstellar project
- Why do you want to build nanokorabl and not manned spaceship, for example?

- When people imagine interstellar travel, it seems they like in "Star Wars": the huge ship flying through some wormhole to the speed of light, in which a lot of interesting things going on. But this topic is pre impassable because such a huge thing it is impossible to accelerate size. Even with those sources of energy, which we do not have.

What is the main problem of interstellar travel - it was not the engine, which would be adequate to the task. People thought on fusion energy, antimatter, there are only three or four options. One of them - a solar sail, the photon. The problem in all of the other options - we simply have no scientific basis. We can not yet even on the ground, use fusion energy until it is impossible, and we have no idea where to take as much antimatter where it is stored, and so on. We are up against the fundamental scientific problems.

With the sail essentially scientific problems was not, there were technical problems: the actual sail and fly spacecraft were always very heavy. And where to get as many photons, it is not clear, and the sun is not enough. The whole subject was in a frozen state, and it was thought that for several hundred years, it was possible not to worry.

- What has changed now?

- The solution of the problem lies in an unexpected direction, namely, let's take a spaceship very small. So small that it will weigh a few grams and one gram. And make it very easy sail. And if this can be done, the problem gets solved fundamentally. And why do it - over the last 15 years there has been progress in the field of microelectronics, which is mainly used for mobile phones and other devices.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion