Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New study confirms boomers are clueless

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

New study confirms boomers are clueless

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:42:52

"it appears that what boomers want are big suburban houses on winding culs-de-sac." So they want to have their privacy yet live in large homes, I imagine with all the perk and amenities that Americans are used too. I cannot blame them having lived most of their lives in such a relatively wealthy country amid the pervasive notion of entitlement. Completely oblivious to what is coming which is probably better- Ignorance is bliss.
http://www.mnn.com/your-home/remodeling ... e-clueless
Last edited by onlooker on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:52:38, edited 1 time in total.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: New study confirms boomers are clueless

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:46:55

What is the fascination among doomers and progressives to force people into little rat apartments and lofts in the city? Do you hate freedom that much?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:51:30

Because it robs everyone of limited resources.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:53:35

Cog wrote:What is the fascination among doomers and progressives to force people into little rat apartments and lofts in the city? Do you hate freedom that much?

enjoy your "freedom" while you can Cog. :-D
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:41:28

Cog wrote:What is the fascination among doomers and progressives to force people into little rat apartments and lofts in the city? Do you hate freedom that much?

Because the idea of many people living in confined spaces is less disturbing than the idea of killing most so that the survivors can live in big spaces.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:44:03

I'll tell ya one thing. This is a big dash of cold water on the idea that keeps getting promoted that everyone would be happier if they didn't live in the suburbs. They exist because a lot of people prefer it, period.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:46:12

Newfie wrote:Because the idea of many people living in confined spaces is less disturbing than the idea of killing most so that the survivors can live in big spaces.

Or we can powerdown, buy a little time, then reach a point of diminishing returns and then we're right back where we started again. That's what happens when you only treat the symptoms and not the root cause (overpopulation).
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:57:48

ennui2 wrote: They exist because a lot of people prefer it, period.
yes but the question is should they prefer it?
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 21:12:44

Well, I don't think that I am clueless. What I am hunting for as the last house I buy is:

1) Located among extended family (and my twin 8-month-old grandkids) in Wisconsin, on the edge of a small/medium town that will provide services.

2) 2-5 acres, 3 bedroom, 2 baths, under 2000 square foot structure, very well insulated. Passive solar features a plus. Maintenance free exterior a plus. Two car garage, with shop space, or shop space in a basement.

3) A vegetable garden, fruit trees, and maybe some chickens. Not much grass that needs mowing.

I am discovering there are not many turnkey places that meet my list of desired features. I may have to build a place, although that will take approximately a year. But there are many places that come close and could be adapted - which would save money and I would probably end up with more house than I could build for less money, and I would not have to live elsewhere for 12 months.

I know all about Peak Oil, and these are my conscious choices. I am not an extreme doomer, I'm not expecting ravening hordes of zombies, nor even the wild bandits from the Mad Max movies. But I am also not willing to live in 200 square feet or less, or anywhere in a big city. Urban environments are dirty, unhealthy, and infested with Democrats. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Timo » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 21:48:59

Funny, KJ. For most of your post, I was agreeing nearly 100% with your rationales for what you desire in your homestead. In fact, you sounded exactly like a good number of friends of mine who are Democrats who live just the way you described the manner in which you'd like to live, yourself.

Whenever I read the news, though, Republicans seem to rabidly attack clean energy simply out of spite, because most Democrats are for clean energy.

BTW, I am most certainly NOT judging your rationales for choosing where or how you want to live. I actually agree with them. Most of them, anyway.

Oh, and for the record, I am also NOT a boomer.
Timo

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 22:37:44

Guess we don't fit the mold. Here's our retirement home.

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:20:32

Lore wrote:Because it robs everyone of limited resources.

How does my home in suburbia rob you of anything? Is there some mandatory sharing program that I am unaware of? Have we run out of wood to build houses? Peak timber?

Progressive love misery and want everyone to live the same sterile and bland existence they seem to embrace. What about freedom bro?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:24:36

onlooker wrote:
ennui2 wrote: They exist because a lot of people prefer it, period.
yes but the question is should they prefer it?

I'm confused about this "should" thing. Am I supposed to live my life according to your wishes and desires? What if I want something more?

I'm sensing a big desire to control people. I've never understood why people want to control others. Seems a fruitless activity when its a lot easier just to leave people alone to live their lives in the way they see fit.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:28:24

Cog wrote:
Lore wrote:Because it robs everyone of limited resources.

How does my home in suburbia rob you of anything? Is there some mandatory sharing program that I am unaware of? Have we run out of wood to build houses? Peak timber?

Progressive love misery and want everyone to live the same sterile and bland existence they seem to embrace. What about freedom bro?

No, its just that you don't understand the consequences of excessive consumption.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:31:50

Oh I understand what you think are the consequences of excessive consumption. So why not just kill everyone in suburbia? That would seem to solve both the over-population problem and over consumption simultaneously.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:37:54

Cog wrote:Oh I understand what you think are the consequences of excessive consumption. So why not just kill everyone in suburbia? That would seem to solve both the over-population problem and over consumption simultaneously.

I guess in your world that sounds like a righteous solution. :roll:
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:41:51

Lore wrote:
Cog wrote:Oh I understand what you think are the consequences of excessive consumption. So why not just kill everyone in suburbia? That would seem to solve both the over-population problem and over consumption simultaneously.

I guess in your world that sounds like a righteous solution. :roll:

Hardly. I'm not the one worried about suburbia and wanting everyone crammed into little apartments in a city. That is your wish not mine. Everyone should live the life they desire in whatever style they can afford. That is called freedom. You can look the word up. Its in the dictionary.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:44:45

That's also called anarchy. Look that up.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Feb 2016, 23:47:24

Lore wrote:That's also called anarchy. Look that up.

Wut? People living the way they want to live is anarchy? I'm not sure what flavor you are smoking but hook a brother up since it sound real good.

This all comes back to the progressives desire to control that which they don't like. I've never been able to fathom this desire. Seems weird and obsessive.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Sat 20 Feb 2016, 00:00:12

Cog wrote:
Lore wrote:That's also called anarchy. Look that up.

Wut? People living the way they want to live is anarchy? I'm not sure what flavor you are smoking but hook a brother up since it sound real good.

This all comes back to the progressives desire to control that which they don't like. I've never been able to fathom this desire. Seems weird and obsessive.

Yeah, people should just be allowed to do what they firkin like. Although most of your posts say just the opposite when it conflicts with your narrow ideology.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion