Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The stupid things people do when their society breaks down.

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

The stupid things people do when their society breaks down.

Unread postby Revi » Fri 04 Mar 2016, 14:54:21

Here's an excellent article about what happens as society breaks down. Remember that the Roman Empire may have crashed in 422, but it took until the present day to disappear. It's the foundation of the Roman Catholic Church and some of it's structures are still in place. The way people act as it all goes down is interesting and scary. What do you think?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-0 ... reaks-down
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The stupid things people do when their society breaks do

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 04 Mar 2016, 15:54:02

What a useless article. Strange, oddball, and silly declarations about the things people do without any historical context or examples of any such behavior. A list of opinions without facts to back up those opinions. A waste of time to read.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JV153 » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 07:33:12

.. but what's the reason ?

Perverse incentives. e.g, in Hanoi, under French colonial rule, a program paying people a bounty for each rat tail handed in was intended to exterminate rats. Instead, it led to the farming of rats. :-D

I suppose one could independently reach a similar conclusion, as a thought experiment, with no knowledge of a specific example. Once one comes up with a model, it can be used as general pattern. Money, power, sex, food, or other material gains are the goal in such a simulated game.

In fact, this is what happened.
JV153

Unread postby Cog » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 13:47:55

pstarr wrote:Revi, did the article mention committed * Trump voters? If so, enough said lol

(note* question to self: did he mean committed as in loyal, steadfast or committed as in looney?)

pstarr wrote:Revi, did the article mention committed * Trump voters? If so, enough said lol

(note* question to self: did he mean committed as in loyal, steadfast or committed as in looney?)

Still doing public relations for Hillary I see. :lol: :roll:
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Lore » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 15:29:09

Cog wrongly assumes that because you're not for someone and their quackery then you must be for the other person and theirs.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 20:33:13

KaiserJeep wrote:What a useless article. Strange, oddball, and silly declarations about the things people do without any historical context or examples of any such behavior. A list of opinions without facts to back up those opinions. A waste of time to read.

Right. Of course consider the source.

Oh dear. I suppose pstarr will call me a troll (again) for daring to disrespect the almost-always-wrong-constantly-doomer-crying zerohedge. Oh well. Somehow, I'll have to learn to live with myself in the objective world, where results have meaning.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 14:27:03

I liked it because it is a list of things that people do in order to not face reality. I think we have a great capacity for self-delusion, and it seems to be growing. Nobody knows what's going on, but they are beginning to see trouble coming.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 18:58:44

I bet you when the gas stations are out of gas, and when there is no longer any food on the supermarket shelves (due to delivery trucks running out of diesel, and thereby no longer being able to deliver food to stores), people will still pray to whoever that a techno-genie is still out there ready to replace fossil fuels, so that they can continue their endless and remorseless consumption and destruction of the natural world.

Most people live in denial. It is far too difficult for most people to accept the fact that civilization is fundamentally unsustainable.

When societies collapse due to their excessive complexity, people try to fix the problems with ever-more complex solutions, which only makes their problems worse.

Modern civilization is nothing more than a blip among the time-scale of the Earth's geological history.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Lore » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 19:07:30

You mean trickle down economics isn't working?
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby careinke » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 19:16:27

Lore wrote:You mean trickle down economics isn't working?

It worked about as well as The Great Society.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Lore » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 19:39:05

careinke wrote:
Lore wrote:You mean trickle down economics isn't working?

It worked about as well as The Great Society.

Maybe it's our fault? Yes, that must be it! We're not doing enough to make the rich even richer. Reminds me of going to a strip club and imagining that if I just had one more dollar left she'd go home with me. :lol:
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Return to Open Topic Discussion