Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

a new book about evolution of life on Earth

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

a new book about evolution of life on Earth

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 05 Mar 2016, 16:32:34

thought I would give a heads up to members about this new book which seems fascinating and one author is Peter Ward an expert scientist of past history of Earth and life on it. Here is the title" A New History of Life: The Radical New Discoveries about the Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth" It got very good reviews on Amazon also.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: a new book about evolution of life on Earth

Unread postby americandream » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 01:01:02

onlooker wrote:thought I would give a heads up to members about this new book which seems fascinating and one author is Peter Ward an expert scientist of past history of Earth and life on it. Here is the title" A New History of Life: The Radical New Discoveries about the Origins and Evolution of Life on Earth" It got very good reviews on Amazon also.

A brief summary would help.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 01:12:10

Here is summary of book:
Charles Darwin’s theories, first published more than 150 years ago, still set the paradigm of how we understand the evolution of life--but scientific advances of recent decades have radically altered that understanding. In fact the currently accepted history of life on Earth is flawed and out of date. Now two pioneering scientists, one already an award-winning popular author, deliver an eye-opening narrative that synthesizes a generation’s worth of insights from new research.

Writing with zest, humor, and clarity, Ward and Kirschvink show that many of our long-held beliefs about the history of life are wrong. Three central themes emerge from the narrative. First, the development of life was not a stately, gradual process: Catastrophe, argue Ward and Kirschvink, shaped life’s history more than all other forces combined--from notorious events like the sudden extinction of dinosaurs to recently discovered ones like "Snowball Earth" and the "Great Oxygenation Event." One startling possibility: that life arrived on Earth from Mars. Second, life consists of carbon, but three other molecules have determined how it evolved: oxygen, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide are carbon’s silent partners. Third, ever since Darwin we have thought of evolution in terms of species. Yet it is the evolution of ecosystems--from deep-ocean vents to rainforests--that has formed the living world as we know it.

Drawing on their years of experience in paleontology, biology, chemistry, and astrobiology, Ward and Kirschvink tell a story of life on Earth that is at once too fabulous to imagine and too familiar to dismiss. And in a provocative coda, they assemble discoveries from the latest cutting-edge research to imagine how the history of life might unfold deep into the future.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 01:40:48

onlooker wrote:Here is summary of book:
Charles Darwin’s theories, first published more than 150 years ago, still set the paradigm of how we understand the evolution of life--but scientific advances of recent decades have radically altered that understanding. In fact the currently accepted history of life on Earth is flawed and out of date. Now two pioneering scientists, one already an award-winning popular author, deliver an eye-opening narrative that synthesizes a generation’s worth of insights from new research.

Writing with zest, humor, and clarity, Ward and Kirschvink show that many of our long-held beliefs about the history of life are wrong. Three central themes emerge from the narrative. First, the development of life was not a stately, gradual process: Catastrophe, argue Ward and Kirschvink, shaped life’s history more than all other forces combined--from notorious events like the sudden extinction of dinosaurs to recently discovered ones like "Snowball Earth" and the "Great Oxygenation Event." One startling possibility: that life arrived on Earth from Mars. Second, life consists of carbon, but three other molecules have determined how it evolved: oxygen, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide are carbon’s silent partners. Third, ever since Darwin we have thought of evolution in terms of species. Yet it is the evolution of ecosystems--from deep-ocean vents to rainforests--that has formed the living world as we know it.

Drawing on their years of experience in paleontology, biology, chemistry, and astrobiology, Ward and Kirschvink tell a story of life on Earth that is at once too fabulous to imagine and too familiar to dismiss. And in a provocative coda, they assemble discoveries from the latest cutting-edge research to imagine how the history of life might unfold deep into the future.

One may argue about the nuts and bolts of evolution but as picture of material reality, it is dead on. It is otherwise termed material dialecticism...a very curious phenomenon and for me one that daily leaves me profoundly contemplative. Profoundly.

I shall have to have a look at this. Thankyou.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 09:45:20

Doesn't seem so revolutionary. Sometimes events force nature's hand; eliminate current opportunities while creating new ones. Life is exploitative. Then, again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This all seems like common sense to me.

It all comes down to available resources. Sound familiar?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 09:53:48

GHung wrote:Doesn't seem so revolutionary. Sometimes events force nature's hand; eliminate current opportunities while creating new ones. Life is exploitative. Then, again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This all seems like common sense to me.

It all comes down to available resources. Sound familiar?

Very.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 15:22:37

Ghung - True. Not trying to piss on their parade but everything in that synopsis was being widely discussed when I was working on my BS in Earth Sciences in the early 70's. Just AGW and PO were common subjects in my circles at the time. Perhaps they might be given credit for presenting in a more digestible form for the general public.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 15:30:51

So I guess in keeping with these concepts, it seems humanity will be going through major evolutionary pressures and stimuli. I wonder what will come out on the other side of the bottleneck of collapse. Will we learn from our mistakes as Ibon believes or will our own propensities to compete and fight along with the daunting natural challenges mean we will be wiped off the face of the Earth? One way or the other radical changes await humanity.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Sun 06 Mar 2016, 23:21:15

onlooker wrote:So I guess in keeping with these concepts, it seems humanity will be going through major evolutionary pressures and stimuli. I wonder what will come out on the other side of the bottleneck of collapse. Will we learn from our mistakes as Ibon believes or will our own propensities to compete and fight along with the daunting natural challenges mean we will be wiped off the face of the Earth? One way or the other radical changes await humanity.

Extinction is built into the evolutionary pathways of failed species so we can take it that that will be the risk that awaits us.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby roccman » Fri 11 Mar 2016, 18:31:55

americandream wrote:
onlooker wrote:So I guess in keeping with these concepts, it seems humanity will be going through major evolutionary pressures and stimuli. I wonder what will come out on the other side of the bottleneck of collapse. Will we learn from our mistakes as Ibon believes or will our own propensities to compete and fight along with the daunting natural challenges mean we will be wiped off the face of the Earth? One way or the other radical changes await humanity.

Extinction is built into the evolutionary pathways of failed species so we can take it that that will be the risk that awaits us.

Perhaps - gnostic and heretical judaic midrash cosmology suggest that the material realm is a prison...and that the release of a so called divine spark is kinda the point of life. Cormac McCarthy is known to have been a knowing gnostic - in the prologue of Blood Meridian he speaks of the release of this spark. BM is a wholly gnostic tale.

Point being - enter particle colliders in the 21 century - while most of the world "fights" over oil and presidential candidates - swoon celebrities and teams...the smartest humans on the planet continue their diligent work of releasing the spark.

If i were king of the world - and knew this little secret - the ends would justify the means - even if it meant destruction of the planet and extinction of all living beings....because in 5 billion years - when the sun goes red dwarf...it's gonna happen anyway.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 05:19:42

roccman wrote:
americandream wrote:

Perhaps - gnostic and heretical judaic midrash cosmology suggest that the material realm is a prison...and that the release of a so called divine spark is kinda the point of life. Cormac McCarthy is known to have been a knowing gnostic - in the prologue of Blood Meridian he speaks of the release of this spark. BM is a wholly gnostic tale.

Point being - enter particle colliders in the 21 century - while most of the world "fights" over oil and presidential candidates - swoon celebrities and teams...the smartest humans on the planet continue their diligent work of releasing the spark.

If i were king of the world - and knew this little secret - the ends would justify the means - even if it meant destruction of the planet and extinction of all living beings....because in 5 billion years - when the sun goes red dwarf...it's gonna happen anyway.

I speak from a measurable Marxian dialecticism, not the unmeasurable Hegelian variant.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Return to Book/Media Reviews