Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 19 May 2016, 02:25:37

In Search For Cures, Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

A handful of scientists around the United States are trying to do something that some people find disturbing: make embryos that are part human, part animal.

The researchers hope these embryos, known as chimeras, could eventually help save the lives of people with a wide range of diseases.

One way would be to use chimera embryos to create better animal models to study how human diseases happen and how they progress.

Perhaps the boldest hope is to create farm animals that have human organs that could be transplanted into terminally ill patients.

But some scientists and bioethicists worry the creation of these interspecies embryos crosses the line. "You're getting into unsettling ground that I think is damaging to our sense of humanity," says Stuart Newman, a professor of cell biology and anatomy at the New York Medical College.

The experiments are so sensitive that the National Institutes of Health has imposed a moratorium on funding them while officials explore the ethical issues they raise.

Nevertheless, a small number of researchers are pursuing the work with private funding. They hope the results will persuade the NIH to lift the moratorium.

"We're not trying to make a chimera just because we want to see some kind of monstrous creature," says Pablo Ross, a reproductive biologist at the University of California, Davis. "We're doing this for a biomedical purpose."

The NIH is expected to announce soon how it plans to handle requests for funding.

Recently, Ross agreed to let me visit his lab for an unusual look at his research. During the visit, Ross demonstrated how he is trying to create a pancreas that theoretically could be transplanted into a patient with diabetes.

The first step involves using new gene-editing techniques to remove the gene that pig embryos need to make a pancreas.

Working under an elaborate microscope, Ross makes a small hole in the embryo's outer membrane with a laser. Next, he injects a molecule synthesized in the laboratory to home in and delete the pancreas gene inside. (In separate experiments, he has done this to sheep embryos, too.)

After the embryos have had their DNA edited this way, Ross creates another hole in the membrane so he can inject human induced pluripotent stem cells, or iPS for short, into the pig embryos.

Like human embryonic stem cells, iPS cells can turn into any kind of cell or tissue in the body. The researchers' hope is that the human stem cells will take advantage of the void in the embryo to start forming a human pancreas.

Because iPS cells can be made from any adult's skin cells, any organs they form would match the patient who needs the transplant, vastly reducing the risk that the body would reject the new organ.

But for the embryo to develop and produce an organ, Ross has to put the chimera embryos into the wombs of adult pigs. That involves a surgical procedure, which is performed in a large operating room across the street from Ross's lab.

The day Ross opened his lab to me, a surgical team was anesthetizing an adult female pig so surgeons could make an incision to get access to its uterus.

Ross then rushed over with a special syringe filled with chimera embryos. He injected 25 embryos into each side of the animal's uterus. The procedure took about an hour. He repeated the process on a second pig.

Every time Ross does this, he then waits a few weeks to allow the embryos to develop to their 28th day — a time when primitive structures such as organs start to form.

Ross then retrieves the chimeric embryos to dissect them so he can see what the human stem cells are doing inside. He examines whether the human stem cells have started to form a pancreas, and whether they have begun making any other types of tissues.

The uncertainty is part of what makes the work so controversial. Ross and other scientists conducting these experiments can't know exactly where the human stem cells will go. Ross hopes they'll only grow a human pancreas. But they could go elsewhere, such as to the brain.

"If you have pigs with partly human brains you would have animals that might actually have consciousness like a human," Newman says. "It might have human-type needs. We don't really know."

That possibility raises new questions about the morality of using the animals for experimentation. Another concern is that the stem cells could form human sperm and human eggs in the chimeras.

"If a male chimeric pig mated with a female chimeric pig, the result could be a human fetus developing in the uterus of that female chimera," Newman says. Another possibility is the animals could give birth to some kind of part-human, part-pig creature.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/18/478212837/in-search-for-cures-scientists-create-embryos-that-are-both-animal-and-human

8O Oh goodness, what a mess.

My opinion on this: ASSUMING they can get the process exact, then yes it would be a giant leap forward to be able to grow replacement organs for transplant. Even if it's some bizarre hybrid big with some human organs (taken from the patient's own stem cells).

It's a good idea, though massively controversial as it is.

The bad part is, according to the article, they're not really sure yet what might happen. The stem cells could "go elsewhere" and maybe overdevelop the pig's brain. Creating a sentient pig / pig-human.

And then the part that two pigs could mate, and then it be a human fetus.

So what do you guys think?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 19 May 2016, 03:07:18

You are talking about a small incremental step in genetic engineering, and one that has probably already been taken, at that. Genetic engineering is not ever going away, it is a trillion dollar industry that pervades every place on Earth. Farmers in remote third world nations are benefitting from genetically engineered rice that resists disease and has quadruple the productivity of natural strains. Disease-resistant farm animals exist which are not susceptible to diseases that kill natural strains, and make more meat on less and lower quality food, in a fraction of the time.

Truthfully, virtually every single plant and animal you consume has been engineered in some fashion - be it very quickly by gene splicing, or very slowly via selective breeding. The particular detail called a "chimera" is a step that became possible in the 1980s. Such creatures may exist in the third generation by now.

Such genetic engineering was the topic of James Cameron's 2000-2002 SF Series Dark Angel, starring Jessica Alba. Then there was the personal story of such a chimera in the 1982 Robert Heinlein SF novel Friday.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 19 May 2016, 05:40:44

We know that viruses and bacteria continually mutate and change their nature. Now we give them a new species of half human/half something else to evolve in. Doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 19 May 2016, 09:07:57

Since many of you have come to the conclusion that Kudzu Ape is a flawed species don't underestimate the possibilities of engineering out the flaws with genetic material from other organisms. Another excellent dystopian idea for a novel......
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Timo » Thu 19 May 2016, 09:17:54

And all the while, silly ol' me thought that humans were a part of the animal kingdom all along. Humans are mammals. Therefore, we are animals. too. I'm surprised it took so long for scientists to figure that out.
Timo

Unread postby Cog » Thu 19 May 2016, 09:28:15

Timo wrote:And all the while, silly ol' me thought that humans were a part of the animal kingdom all along. Humans are mammals. Therefore, we are animals. too. I'm surprised it took so long for scientists to figure that out.

I don't know too many animals that can drop an A-bomb on your ass.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ennui2 » Thu 19 May 2016, 10:16:40

Ibon wrote:Since many of you have come to the conclusion that Kudzu Ape is a flawed species don't underestimate the possibilities of engineering out the flaws with genetic material from other organisms. Another excellent dystopian idea for a novel......

Or we could just pass control off to robots like in the movie A.I. At least with an AI you can program it not to behave like yeast in a petri dish.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Timo » Thu 19 May 2016, 12:01:32

Cog wrote:
Timo wrote:And all the while, silly ol' me thought that humans were a part of the animal kingdom all along. Humans are mammals. Therefore, we are animals. too. I'm surprised it took so long for scientists to figure that out.

I don't know too many animals that can drop an A-bomb on your ass.

Then you've obviously never met my dog. She'd be more than happy to drop an A-bomb from her ass and onto yours. She drops those bombs every single day, in fact. And they're YUUUUUGE!
Timo

Return to Open Topic Discussion