Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

getting to know you

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

getting to know you

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 29 May 2016, 15:38:24

Thought I would create a post dedicated to us learning a little bit about ourselves and personal lives. Would be great if people responded as I am sure it would make for some intriguing analysis. I guess since I am creating this post I should start off with a little bio of myself. Well, I am the son of Colombian parents who migrated here to the US in the 60's. I was born in Bogota, Colombia but came here at 2 years old. I am one of two siblings with my sister who is 5 yrs older. I am 54 yrs old currently. I went to College but did not finish as at around that time my sister opened her business which is about Immigration services, taxation and miscellaneous office services including translations. Well I ended up mostly doing the translations as my sister is quite smart and monopolized the Immigration and taxation parts of the business haha. From doing translations with my sister I parleyed that into freelance translations with the help of ProZ translations agency. I have always been curious and since I am accustomed to working on the computer and utilizing the Net, I began to explore various topics of the kind we discuss about here. Well the rest is history as I discovered ie. ate more than I can chew. Seriously, discovered our species in now in the midst of a existential crisis. Lived all my life in NY and now am living with my permanent partner in upstate NY. Anyway, I am happy to commiserate here with a diverse and well educated group of people. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: getting to know you

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 29 May 2016, 17:30:01

Great idea. I've been posting here about 10 years, but like most other people who post here I kept pretty quiet about myself.

Here goes:

I'm a research scientist living in Alaska. I got interested in Peak Oil when I met Ken Deffeyes when he came to Alaska on a lecture tour promoting his peak oil books. My own work is on Earth surface processes and natural hazards, and involves studying sites all over Alaska, including remote volcanoes in the Aleutian Islands. Over the years I've also been lucky enough to work in New Zealand, China, Russia, Israel, Egypt, South American Andes, Hawaii, Iceland, the Mediterranean, etc.. I also work on global climate change problems, and in the 2000s I was one of the US scientists involved in the UN climate change treaty process and the IPCC. In 2007 the IPCC received the Nobel Peace Prize along with Al Gore for the climate change work, so technically I am the recipient of about 0.001 of a Nobel Peace Prize. I've travelled quite a lot for my job, and I'm pretty much addicted to travel now, going most recently to Cuba just last week.

Politically I am an independent and I am supporting Bernie Sanders for president in the 2016 election.

Cheers!

Feel the BERN!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Sun 29 May 2016, 17:39:36, edited 1 time in total.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 29 May 2016, 17:38:50

As the thread creator, thanks Plant. Very interesting your input, especially the part about traveling. Who doesn't like traveling. Hope your latest sojourn to Cuba was enjoyable.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 29 May 2016, 18:08:25

Me born in PA, USA, Army brat, early childhood- USA, Germany, UK, Portugal, Australia, then grew up in Australia with Aussie mum, yank dad. Parents were pretty radical, dad left the Army in disgust at various policies & became a remote aboriginal school teacher, later a glass blower- my first real profession. I have travelled a lot, especially in Australia, also SE Asia. I spent many years studying comparative religion, before getting more into political stuff, was an activist for about a decade. Has loads of different jobs, arts, medical support, lately I'm driving a truck in JIT & building renovations- which is slowly becoming my main job. I'm married to a filipina 18 years younger & have 2 daughters aged 5+6.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 29 May 2016, 18:27:22

SeaGypsy wrote:Me born in PA, USA, Army brat, early childhood- USA, Germany, UK, Portugal, Australia, then grew up in Australia with Aussie mum, yank dad. Parents were pretty radical, dad left the Army in disgust at various policies & became a remote aboriginal school teacher, later a glass blower- my first real profession. I have travelled a lot, especially in Australia, also SE Asia. I spent many years studying comparative religion, before getting more into political stuff, was an activist for about a decade. Has loads of different jobs, arts, medical support, lately I'm driving a truck in JIT & building renovations- which is slowly becoming my main job. I'm married to a filipina 18 years younger & have 2 daughters aged 5+6.

You definitely, have a interesting life resume Sea. Your combination of real life experience as well as an intellectual/spiritual bent speaks well of your well roundness as a human being.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Open Topic Discussion