Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Home Solar - True Value

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Home Solar - True Value

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Thu 01 Sep 2016, 14:30:55

I'm selling a house in the greater Seattle area. While living there, I installed a 21 panel (4.4 kwh) PV system and a high efficiency solar water heater (evacuated tube etc).. paired with a tankless water heater. All sorts of other upgrades to the home in the way of efficiency, but it seems that the realtors are strictly looking for new countertops/cabinets and other stuff like that.

Realtors are basically saying that the solar adds little to no value. Shocking to me.... Some have even suggested that I should remove it to make the home "look better". I think it looks cool personally. Am I insane here? I see studies that state that these homes sell faster and for significantly higher prices. I'm considering contacting Electric Vehicle Owner groups and other High Tech groups in the area that would probably be more the target buyer group.

What are your thoughts? The real estate apps don't seem to have solar as a searchable feature... however I do see a lot of "favorite" action on Redfin and Zillow. The house is actually listed below the "Zestimate".
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Home Solar - True Value

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 02 Sep 2016, 11:22:44

Pablo2079 wrote:I'm selling a house in the greater Seattle area. While living there, I installed a 21 panel (4.4 kwh) PV system and a high efficiency solar water heater (evacuated tube etc).. paired with a tankless water heater. All sorts of other upgrades to the home in the way of efficiency, but it seems that the realtors are strictly looking for new countertops/cabinets and other stuff like that.

Realtors are basically saying that the solar adds little to no value. Shocking to me.... Some have even suggested that I should remove it to make the home "look better". I think it looks cool personally. Am I insane here? I see studies that state that these homes sell faster and for significantly higher prices. I'm considering contacting Electric Vehicle Owner groups and other High Tech groups in the area that would probably be more the target buyer group.

What are your thoughts? The real estate apps don't seem to have solar as a searchable feature... however I do see a lot of "favorite" action on Redfin and Zillow. The house is actually listed below the "Zestimate".

Sounds like you need a better realtor. The secret to any sales job is to find something special about whatever you are selling and emphasize that feature to prospective buyers. Someone only interested in counter tops is too lazy to be a good sales person.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Fri 02 Sep 2016, 14:48:07

Thanks... yeah, I'm getting that feeling that I went with the wrong realtor. I went ahead and posted the listing on a Greenhouse type site to see if I could bring it some exposure. Under 2 weeks on the market, they want me to drop the price significantly. uggh
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 02 Sep 2016, 20:34:22

Pablo2079 wrote:Thanks... yeah, I'm getting that feeling that I went with the wrong realtor. I went ahead and posted the listing on a Greenhouse type site to see if I could bring it some exposure. Under 2 weeks on the market, they want me to drop the price significantly. uggh

Remember you don't have to follow there vice and at least around here you can cancel your contract with them, wait 30 days and relist with a different company. Before you contract with another company I would do a walk through with them and emphasize what you think are the selling points, if they are oblivious keep looking for a better seller.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 18:27:23

Pablo2079 wrote:Thanks... yeah, I'm getting that feeling that I went with the wrong realtor. I went ahead and posted the listing on a Greenhouse type site to see if I could bring it some exposure. Under 2 weeks on the market, they want me to drop the price significantly. uggh

What Tanada said.

Plus, don't let them push you around. The realtor would like to sell your house by doing as little work as possible. The easiest way to do that is to get you to drop the price. Just for an example, let's say you drop the price 10%. Now the realtor gets 90% of the fee (assuming your contract is for a percentage of the sales price). However, if you've dropped the price a lot, now the realtor may hardly have to do any work.

Obviously there needs to be some balance, but the realtor should be willing to earn their fee and sell the house for roughly what it is actually worth, if possible.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sun 04 Sep 2016, 23:29:27

I can tell you that in this area, having solar PV gets approximately a 10% bump to your residence price, absent other factors. Having a dry swimming pool and a dead front lawn (in my case, because of a prolonged California drought) is easily worth -10%.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pablo2079 » Wed 07 Sep 2016, 14:34:17

Thanks to all for your input. I just thought there was more inherent value in it (especially with the Washington State production credits giving cash back each year for production on top lower utility bills). I reached out to a local Electric Car group to see if they would alert their members to it.

We'll see... fingers crossed.. but yes, the realtors are pushing hard to lower the price.
Pablo2079
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Open Topic Discussion