Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Responding to global tragedy

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Responding to global tragedy

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Sun 25 Sep 2016, 21:35:50

I was watching a new age spirituality video from one of my favorites guru's, Matt Kahn. He gave a wonderful presentation entitled 'Responding to global tragedy', and I would like to share it with you.

https://youtu.be/lvj9HuOL9Ng?t=1h5m25s

At one point in the video Matt remarked that people shouldn't get involved in online flame wars with each other, and right away the thing that popped into my mind was how the conversation around here has been very hot recently. All the time talking about serious issues but never taking action. Hating and arguing with each other. Somehow action is what is missing from peakoil.com, what action can we take together that will bring us together to help people?

For all the terrible resource, environmental, and financial issues coming down the pipe, many are irreversible I know, none of us would be here dedicating our personal time and resources if we didn't feel we were making a contribution. In some way each of us contribute to the whole. Even the trolls, and the paid shrills serve some purpose by creating contrast in often one sided 'Preach to the choir' discussions.

The true question is 'What does each of us want to contribute here?' How do you feel you have made a difference by spending your time, and effort to contribute to this effort?
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Responding to global tragedy

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 26 Sep 2016, 05:32:29

What effort? This is just a themed discussion board, not an activist site. Activists are welcome here, so are the resigned, franchised & disenfranchised. Where I'm from, the OP is what we call 'barking up the wrong tree'.

I do a lot more writing on Facebook pages these days, a lot of which is either very directly political activist, the rest indirectly so. Given most of the world online has a Facebook account, pretty much any theme you can name has a number of groups, global & regional, your privacy settings are up to you, multiple accounts can be established for specific purposes, groups are easily started, trolls easily blocked. I hate to say it, but there's no denying the reality.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Open Topic Discussion