Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Surviving Progress."

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Surviving Progress."

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 03:10:14

Geneticist and climate activist David Suzuki explains how conventional economics a form of brain damage in this clip from the 2011 documentary "Surviving Progress." (available on Netflix). Here is full video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4at5i-oMqE
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Surviving Progress."

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 09:59:23

onlooker, try that again. Your sentence is broken English and after carefully parsing it, the defects prevent one from analyzing your position.

I watched this Martin Scorsese produced documentary in 2012, before joining PO.com, and it inspired me to seek out other works which ultimately led me to Ruppert's Collapse movie. The rest as they say is history. FWIW, the documentary was on a DVD that I checked out from the Library, and Scorsese's insistence upon using this work for revenue ultimately killed his message - it belonged on PBS IMHO, free for all to see.

I recall that this is but another film blaming the financial "elites" and the massive debt load for the impending collapse of worldwide civilization. One example they cited is the deforestation of the Amazon basin rainforest, and they attributed this to the "debt load" of South American countries, which case I thought was only made in the most superficial form. Nor do I blame the IMF and the World Bank for the violence and slave trade in Africa, the assertion is ludicrous and not supported at all with evidence.

I thought the rise of the Chinese Middle Class was a better made case, since in the last 25 years, about a quarter of the people on the planet have acquired new and unsustainable consumer habits. However, this also means that we are ultimately doomed for reasons beyond the control of the long-developed countries of the Western World, since China may have an older culture, but they have little or no environmental consciousness. (If you doubt the last, allow me to remind you that without the intervention of Westerners, the pandas would be extinct, instead of being the logo of the WWF.)
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Surviving Progress."

Unread postby regardingpo » Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:42:58

KaiserJeep wrote:If you doubt the last...

China's Top 6 Environmental Concerns
http://www.livescience.com/27862-china- ... blems.html
Don't follow this link: http://bit.ly/2dtWSrZ
regardingpo
Peat
Peat

Return to Book/Media Reviews