Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Before the Flood

A forum to either submit your own review of a book, video or audio interview, or to post reviews by others.

Before the Flood

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:35:53

Actor Leonardo DiCaprio meets with scientists, activists and world leaders to discuss the dangers of climate change and possible solutions.
New documentary "Before the Flood" release October 21
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Before the Flood

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:39:55

Surely it will be a masterpiece of factual reporting!
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 11:22:39

It will probably be a rather conservative, general not too technical post mortem on the state of our planet. If they only knew haha.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby careinke » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:32:33

I watched this, twice. I felt it was pretty well done, great photography, and it approached the subject from several different angles. For it's targeted audience, I would give it an A. At least as good as Al Gores movie.

Did it cover everything? No, but how much can you cram into two hours.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:57:26

Well good for him for putting it on the table. Not seen the movie, likely will not. But it's a topic worth discussing, at the very minimum.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby hvacman » Fri 04 Nov 2016, 14:47:26

When I first saw the title, before learning it was by DeCaprio, I thought it might be an oil-industry production promoting the coming "flood of oil". Color me Clueless in Shasta Lake. LOL!
hvacman
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 14:38:53

Newfie wrote:Well good for him for putting it on the table. Not seen the movie, likely will not. But it's a topic worth discussing, at the very minimum.

I'm watching it right now. Stunning photography, of course, because it is National Geographic.

Don't see why anyone would NOT want to watch it unless they can't tolerate hearing that we have a problem.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 19:10:18

I watched the film and I thought it was unremarkable, nothing new here, at least for people who are active on this board.

There was one scene where an Indian woman was chastising DeCaprio for not leading by example. She was 100% right, if the leaders and people involved in this movement really, really cared, they would lead by example; and it is not happening:

https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M?t=35m55s
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 19:23:22

I've seen both, and the better documentary on this topic is Rising Tides (2016).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5069996/
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 00:59:34

Rod_Cloutier wrote:I watched the film and I thought it was unremarkable, nothing new here, at least for people who are active on this board.

There was one scene where an Indian woman was chastising DeCaprio for not leading by example. She was 100% right, if the leaders and people involved in this movement really, really cared, they would lead by example; and it is not happening:

https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M?t=35m55s

I watched it this past weekend and completely agree with your assessment. It was big on visuals, and I was stunned by the amount of helicopter flying, jet setting, traveling, boating, and that was just to make the movie. When they showed how many people it took to make his Revenant movie, and mentioned that they flew half way around the planet with all these people to find snow because apparently North America doesn't have any, anymore (as though the Chugach mountain snow and glaciers had all melted), I found it wonderful when the India lady began bashing him.

He didn't have much in the way of dialogue, the guy basically stuck to "gee whiz!" and "Look at me nodding seriously while people with far more brainpower than me talk"....which about fits for a guy with a high school GED I suppose.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 02:47:41

My assessment of the documentary is actually favorable and, of course, really NOTHING new for any of us. However, as a synopsis of 'Here we are now', I am awaiting the next documentary with invariably another celebrity presenter, maybe, ten years from now, that STILL nothing is being done about AGW!
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ritter » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 14:29:45

I thought it was well done and generally pretty accurate--not overly complicated and drove the point that we are out of time for faffing about. A great way to introduce people to (nearly) the entirety and enormity of the situation. Nothing new to those of us in the know but very worthwhile for those who are not. A very good visual CliffsNotes, if you will.

I particularly likes the part with Michael Mann re death threats juxtaposed to the denier vitriol. Is it those silly grant chasing scientists pulling down $100k at a time or the oil industry pulling in billions throwing the "hoax?" As usual, follow the money.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 14:41:06

Watched it this morning. I found it to be an echo chamber style reporting a set of talking points. Boring and pointless. Sad really, at least An Inconvenient Truth was entertaining.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 14:41:28

This film was not made for those of us here at po.com It was made for that suburbanite in South Florida who has only recently begun to get a bit agitated that the high tide rising out of the storm sewers in his front yard does not jibe with what conservative news outlets have been telling him.

I watched it the other night on line. I thought it did an excellent job. In fact, Decaprio, as narrator, did not hide his deeper pessimism that there really is not a painless exit strategy. That gave the film some depth actually.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 08:36:15

Ibon wrote:This film was not made for those of us here at po.com It was made for that suburbanite in South Florida who has only recently begun to get a bit agitated that the high tide rising out of the storm sewers in his front yard does not jibe with what conservative news outlets have been telling him.

I watched it the other night on line. I thought it did an excellent job. In fact, Decaprio, as narrator, did not hide his deeper pessimism that there really is not a painless exit strategy. That gave the film some depth actually.

Seems like the film was made to invigorate the true believers. If the intention was to convince then a boring recitation of facts while flying all over in fuel guzzling helicopters was not convincing to Joe6P. Also as someone pointed out earlier, the idea that they had to fly cast, crew and equipment from Canada to Argentina to get snow is patently absurd. Canada has several large ice fields and prominent glaciers that could have been used as back drop, or a little computer animation processing of the back ground could have been used.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 18:30:38

At this point any multi media without explicit sense of urgency about these topics is pretty worthless even if explaining the details of our overshoot predicament
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 19:13:57

Tanada wrote: If the intention was to convince then a boring recitation of facts while flying all over in fuel guzzling helicopters was not convincing to Joe6P.

IF you were the director of this film what do you think would have been more effective in moving Joe6P. It is easy to critisize and I agree the points you made but I just wonder what would have been more effective?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 23:04:16

Ibon wrote:
Tanada wrote: If the intention was to convince then a boring recitation of facts while flying all over in fuel guzzling helicopters was not convincing to Joe6P.

IF you were the director of this film what do you think would have been more effective in moving Joe6P. It is easy to critisize and I agree the points you made but I just wonder what would have been more effective?

That is a fair question. I think something more like the documentary
Happy People
that shows what life in Siberia is like, with an emphasis on how the life of people in the polar zones is being destroyed by changing climate. I would also have shown the Miami flooding problems, but I would have emphasized the enormous costs being poured into working around the flooding problem in what is ultimately a futile extension of life in the flood zone.

Basically emphasize what will matter to Jane6P and Joe6P, lifestyles are being destroyed, people are being displaced, and governments are spending a great sum of taxpayer dollars in what are only short term solutions.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Book/Media Reviews