Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A non conformist head of state?

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

A non conformist head of state?

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Tue 25 Oct 2016, 22:24:35

Hi there,

I wanted to get some views, does anyone think that a non conformist head of state could ever be elected? And I don't mean independent of political party.

I'm mean as in ascetics. Could there ever be a subculture group candidate like more alternative?

Or just a casually dressed individual. The thought of somebody like Terry Jones who once wore that leather jacket, could anybody imagine that?
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Re: A non conformist head of state?

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 09:47:13

RepublicanfromEngland wrote:Hi there,

I wanted to get some views, does anyone think that a non conformist head of state could ever be elected? And I don't mean independent of political party.

I'm mean as in ascetics. Could there ever be a subculture group candidate like more alternative?

Or just a casually dressed individual. The thought of somebody like Terry Jones who once wore that leather jacket, could anybody imagine that?

Last time I know of it happening was Andrew Jackson in the early 1800's. That was the era before mass media and photography, so most people never saw the candidate they were voting for. A small percentage would see and hear the candidate speak and they would disseminate the views and promises to the general public second, third or even much further out from the candidate themselves.

Today every candidate's image is plastered everywhere and they are heard directly over radio/TV/internet broadcasts. Having a candidate that appears counter culture succeed would be very difficult today unless the voters are seeking such a candidate, and today image means more than almost any other factor. The better the candidate is at connecting emotionally with the voter the greater the odds of being elected, and appearance is a large factor in that connection.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 11:04:13

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... ectability

An interesting article on why we vote for this one or that.

My Wife and I both believe that HRC uses a lot of Botox for the debates. This research could explain why.

One wonders if you could not "design" the perfect electable candidate? Get all the correct facial features, plus the right kind of vocal pitch, and you have someone who will win.

Bill Clinton probably came pretty close.

All this is to say who we vote for is less about issues than we think. It's about primal emotional responses. THATA why HRC isn't 50 points ahead, something about her turns people off. But they can also be turned on.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 11:31:14

Newfie wrote:http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/on-the-face-of-it-the-psychology-of-electability

An interesting article on why we vote for this one or that.

My Wife and I both believe that HRC uses a lot of Botox for the debates. This research could explain why.

One wonders if you could not "design" the perfect electable candidate? Get all the correct facial features, plus the right kind of vocal pitch, and you have someone who will win.

Bill Clinton probably came pretty close.

All this is to say who we vote for is less about issues than we think. It's about primal emotional responses. THATA why HRC isn't 50 points ahead, something about her turns people off. But they can also be turned on.

Sounds like a basic argument for Charisma. Bill Clinton is a creepy predator, but his timber and delivery are very charismatic and draw people to him. Ronald Regan had that same quality as did JFK/RFK. Others like Lyndon Johnsos and George Herbert Walker Bush lack charisma and were each only elected once before basically giving up or getting booted out.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 13:43:21

RepublicanfromEngland wrote:I wanted to get some views, does anyone think that a non conformist head of state could ever be elected? And I don't mean independent of political party.

"Average joe" and populist appeal is nice, and it helps.. that's "great communicator" type of thing, like old Ronald Reagan.

In the US, actually Truman was probably the most regular guy president. He'd been a hat-maker and owned a hat shop, then stood out and made a name for himself in WWI, as an officer commanding artillery.

He didn't have a college degree. But, wasn't stupid either.. and got into politics after the war, up to vice president, then president in WWII.

I think -- "everyday everyman" populist is fine, but really they do need some government experience. Or the military.

What's not good, is just everyday average joe with NO governing experience. That's like hiring a mechanic to be your physician.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

The populist appeal and ability to communicate is IMPORTANT, but that if voters elect average joes that aren't actually QUALIFIED, then that's not good. Someone like that needs to start out running for the legislature first, get some experience for a few years at least.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 16:06:05

We get it six, you live to be on the band wagon. We don't need to read it in every thread on Peakoil.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sparky » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 16:20:44

In this day and age , the "perfect "candidate would be someone from the entertainment industry .
either a chat show host for handling the cameras or an established star of sufficient yumminess

can you seriously imagine anyone standing against , let's say , George Clooney ?

the US doesn't have a democracy , it has a media circus where the people are taken out on a leash every four years
to cheer the clowns and the acrobats

this is what a non conformist president might looks like ,
Jose Mujica , guerilla leader , emprisonned for thirteen years in harsh conditions , escaped twice
became a pragmatic politician ,
gave his salary to unwed mothers and live in a very modest lifestyle , read his quotes , it's well worth it
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/jose ... -quotes#27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GX6a2WEA1Q
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Wed 26 Oct 2016, 22:16:28

I do know of the leader from South America, but that is in a country that doesn't matter.

I'm referring to western nations since that is where the action is, the economies.

When I also mean non conformist, yes there is that Independent position. But generally the world of politics is usually formal. For example the Irish president, is an old man, and he's never a plain looking guy. He's been in politics all his life. The President doesn't have power, so it isn't a political role like in the States.

Years ago, people may of queried the idea of a subculture candidate such as goth? I don't know if any western nation would ever vote in a goth, with the look too.
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 12:59:08

RepublicanfromEngland wrote:I do know of the leader from South America, but that is in a country that doesn't matter.

I'm referring to western nations since that is where the action is, the economies.

When I also mean non conformist, yes there is that Independent position. But generally the world of politics is usually formal. For example the Irish president, is an old man, and he's never a plain looking guy. He's been in politics all his life. The President doesn't have power, so it isn't a political role like in the States.

Years ago, people may of queried the idea of a subculture candidate such as goth? I don't know if any western nation would ever vote in a goth, with the look too.

I doubt the modern media in any western democracy would give a fair treatment to a non comformsts ideas. Instead they would dismss and belittle such a candidate simply basd on appearence.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby RepublicanfromEngland » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 19:53:52

Perhaps in local government, even a leadership position?

Can America ever elect a goth president? Sort of LOL. The land of the free...
RepublicanfromEngland
Peat
Peat

Unread postby sparky » Fri 28 Oct 2016, 07:04:42

There was teddy Roosevelt , a very colorful guy ,the teddy bear was invented for him by his opponents
made from rag and sawdust for a few cents , the tag was " I'm Teddy and I'm not worth much "

Was a cow boy ,police commissioner of New York , Got a Nobel prize , started a couple of wars , busted Standard Oil , started the Panama canal and send the US Navy fleet on a world tour just to upset the British
the reception in Australia was so enthusiastic a ferry overturned with the passengers rushing on the same side to cheer the "great white fleet " dozens drowned .
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 28 Oct 2016, 07:21:12

sparky wrote:.
There was teddy Roosevelt , a very colorful guy ,the teddy bear was invented for him by his opponents
made from rag and sawdust for a few cents , the tag was " I'm Teddy and I'm not worth much "

Was a cow boy ,police commissioner of New York , Got a Nobel prize , started a couple of wars , busted Standard Oil , started the Panama canal and send the US Navy fleet on a world tour just to upset the British
the reception in Australia was so enthusiastic a ferry overturned with the passengers rushing on the same side to cheer the "great white fleet " dozens drowned .

He was never a Cowboy, he was a rich ranch owner who hired men who worked as Cowboys. He was a state legislator in the 1880's, served as assistant secretary of the navy, was elected Governor of New York State and served as Vice President between when you called him a cow boy and when he inherited the Presidency with the assassination of McKinley. He bought the Panama Canal from France and stole it from Columbia, he did not start it, and it was finished after he left office. He did bust Standard Oil, he did antagonize the British and defeat both Columbia and Philippine freedom fighters and he did get the Nobel Peace Prize for hosting the peace talks between Japan and Russia.

26th President of the United States
In office
September 14, 1901 – March 4, 1909
Vice President None (1901–1905)
Charles W. Fairbanks
(1905–1909)
Preceded by William McKinley
Succeeded by William Howard Taft

25th Vice President of the United States
In office
March 4, 1901 – September 14, 1901
President William McKinley
Preceded by Garret Hobart
Succeeded by Charles W. Fairbanks

33rd Governor of New York
In office
January 1, 1899 – December 31, 1900
Lieutenant Timothy L. Woodruff
Preceded by Frank S. Black
Succeeded by Benjamin Barker Odell Jr.

Assistant Secretary of the Navy
In office
April 19, 1897 – May 10, 1898
President William McKinley
Preceded by William McAdoo
Succeeded by Charles Herbert Allen

New York State Assembly Minority Leader
In office
January 1, 1883 – December 31, 1883
Preceded by Thomas G. Alvord
Succeeded by Frank Rice

Member of the New York State Assembly
from the Manhattan 21st district
In office
January 1, 1882 – December 31, 1884
Preceded by William J. Trimble
Succeeded by Henry A. Barnum
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby sparky » Sat 29 Oct 2016, 03:15:38

Tanada , you are right of course but I like to paint a picture in the abstract style and with a broad brush
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion