Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil fashions

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Peak oil fashions

Unread postby Revi » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:03:33

I just got a sweatshirt, a mug, a bumper sticker and a tee shirt from these guys:

https://www.thatsuckingsound.com

They aim to make Peak Oil fashionable. It's fun to have a tee shirt to show that I'm not the only person in the world who is concerned about peak oil.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Peak oil fashions

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 12:17:23

????

Why is the e in the word "peak" printed backwards on the T-shirts?

The people selling the peak oil T shirts must have dyslexia or maybe they are illiterates or something. They've spelled "peak oil" wrong. :lol:

Why can't people even spell simple four-letter words anymore?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:18:29

Plant, are you another Mr. Robot fan? Is that the "E-Corp" logo?

I find it a wickedly subversive show.
Last edited by KaiserJeep on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:29:47, edited 1 time in total.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 14:28:57

KaiserJeep wrote:Plant, are you another Mr. Robot fan?

I find it a wickedly subversive show.

Sorry but never have seen it….I don't get cable and I don't subscribe to netflix up here in Alaska. I'd probably just sit on my butt all winter watching TV if I ever got cable instead of going skiing and traveling.

If you like it then the show probably has really interesting stuff.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Maybe I can catch an episode when I'm traveling---the youth hostels often have a common room with cable TV. Next trip is to Costa Rica in a week. Maybe I can catch an episode there.

Cheers!

PS: I just found a boxed set of all the Game of Thrones episodes for 99 cents at a rummage sale here in Alaska. I know I'm 10 years behind on this, but WOW…that is a great series.

PS Please don't tell me how it turns out….I've still got a lot of episodes to go.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 12:48:09

I am waiting also to see Game of Thrones. I couldn't pay the $100 for the boxed set, so I'll start to look around for it at the used places now.

The backwards e is just some kind of affectation. I will have to ask them about it.

I got a shirt and a sweatshirt as a conversation starter, but so far nobody seems interested.

C'est la vie!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 07 Nov 2016, 17:20:30

This is the "Evil Corp" logo from Mr. Robot:
....which I have always assumed was a takeoff on the now-infamously-defunct Enron logo:
....but the only thing I see with a capital backwards "E" is this:
....which I guess I have heard of, although I don't willingly listen to any rapper if it can be avoided.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 00:52:07

I got a sweatshirt, and I wear it quite a lot. It's pretty safe to wear, since Peak Oil is so obscure that almost nobody even knows what it is.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 05:33:32

[img]https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.shop.shoebob.co.uk%2Fekmps%2Fshops%2Fshoebob%2Fimages%2Fevolution-of-man-zombie-t-shirt-zombie-apocalypse-tshirt-[2]-10729-p.jpeg&sp=45637e6221a11b1da417f8bcacaee4f4[/img]
This looks good
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 11:37:31

I see no picture?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Wed 30 Nov 2016, 22:50:43

It wont load as an image
just cut and paste the link between the image tags
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 01:42:48

Shaved Monkey wrote:[img]https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.shop.shoebob.co.uk%2Fekmps%2Fshops%2Fshoebob%2Fimages%2Fevolution-of-man-zombie-t-shirt-zombie-apocalypse-tshirt-[2]-10729-p.jpeg&sp=45637e6221a11b1da417f8bcacaee4f4[/img]
This looks good

Meh. I like the Big Bang Theory (show) robot evolution T-shirt much better. And it actually reflects (IMO) the current reality that we are being overtaken by machines and machine intelligence.

It lacks the zombie flair for depicting the consequences of peak oil though.

http://www.zazzle.com/robot_evolution_s ... 5753758387
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 10:29:04

as evidenced above, the main goal of visual communications is communicating, if the viewer is forced to first decipher your alphabet (because you think a backwards "e" is cute), you've failed the basic task
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:27:12

Hey, look at it this way if we wear this peak oil fashion, we may become famous once the real noticeable effects get into gear, we will be celebrated as the "Prophets of Doom"
I find it a wickedly subversive show. --- Oh yeah Kaiser, it is eerily contemporary considering how Hacking has become so pervasive and effective. I think I would pass on any hacking fashion though.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:32:06

onlooker wrote:Hey, look at it this way if we wear this peak oil fashion, we may become famous once the real noticeable effects get into gear, we will be celebrated as the "Prophets of Doom"
I find it a wickedly subversive show. --- Oh yeah Kaiser, it is eerily contemporary considering how Hacking has become so pervasive and effective. I think I would pass on any hacking fashion though.

Or you will be lynched by your angry neighbors because 'you never warned us things would be like this'
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:44:07

Tanada wrote:
onlooker wrote:Hey, look at it this way if we wear this peak oil fashion, we may become famous once the real noticeable effects get into gear, we will be celebrated as the "Prophets of Doom"

Or you will be lynched by your angry neighbors because 'you never warned us things would be like this'

You have a point there T, better to lay low. 8) 8) 8)
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 03 Dec 2016, 01:30:09

Tanada wrote:Or you will be lynched by your angry neighbors because 'you never warned us things would be like this'

Yup.

I used to live in a real rough lower-middle class neighborhood near work to save lots of money.

While doing that, I sometime used to tell my peers at work (who virtually all lived in much more upscale neighborhoods) that 'If the revolution comes, and the pitchforks come out in my neighborhood to "go get those guys" (whoever the rich people are that need to be "gotten"), I plan to point in the general direction of the wealthier side of town and say "Yeah! Somebody ought to go get those guys!" while sounding enthusiastic. And when the crowd moves on, close the door to my apartment and hope they STAY moved on.' (I'd be reminded of this occaisonally when a pack of neighbors would show up all excited over some issue like the water heater not working, expecting me to join in signing some protest or something. Better to sign than anger an irritated small mob).

The LAST thing I'd want to do is live in such a way that any of my neighbors would even suspect that I might be one of the "guys who need to be got."

Seeing the way people fight over, say, a Christmas toy in the mall in some cases, I never understood the whole concept of wanting to stand out / show off. It seems like it would be just asking for trouble, given how irrational and erratic many people are. Especially when they're part of a crowd.

And yes. I very much believe in the wisdom of the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times" for that very reason.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 13:22:23

I have been wearing my Peak Oil sweatshirt for a while now, and nobody has even noticed it. I think we are in the tiny fraction of a percent of people who even know what it is. No danger of being lynched over it. Nobody has ever even heard of the concept around here.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Open Topic Discussion