Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When do you think the economy will crash?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: When do you think the economy will crash?

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 17:31:01

I haven't got any takers so haven't got the rules and stakes down yet.
I'm not betting March against any other date as there are too many other dates.So it has to be my predicted date vs. the other bettors date. If both dates come and go without a crash near either one of them all bets are off.
Have to do some hair splitting about what confirms that the economy has crashed which will probably take us a page or two to hash out. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 17:50:34

Bertran Russel discussed this in 1933 and suggested some reordering of the economy, of society as far back as then.

The ff economy has a lot of "efficiency" in the sense that we can put people out of work. One farmer with a tractor produces a formidable amount of food, puts a lot of no mechanized farmers out of work. One mechanical engineer who designs an automated production line makes a lot of workers redundant.

It's not the farmers or workers fault they were made redundant. So society has some obligation to make sure they share the wealth. The way we do this is through the service economy. We create new job titles just so that we have a way of circulating the wealth. My fav whipping boy is the health care insurance "industry" which adds virtually nothing but handles and distributes a lot of money.

Every time you loose one of those commodity production jobs you loose employment for something like 8 people. The only one "making" anything, including money, is the primary producer. We can, for now, support this overhead because we have so many ff slaves.

That's why I say it's a Matrix economy. It doesn't really exist for most people. It's a myth, a religion. Myths die hard, but they can die. Take away those ff slaves and it all tumbles down. That would be a massive reordering of our economy and society. Someday it will happen, not a clue when.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ralfy » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 23:54:47

Pops wrote:I don't think it is Ralphy. A crappy mechanic in the neighborhood charges $90/hr yet I bought a perfectly serviceable monitor for a couple hundred bucks vs $3k 20 years ago. I can get a walmart t-shirt for $5, the average expenditure share on food is a third what it was 100 years ago.

Most people worldwide earn less than $10 daily. That will barely cover basic needs, let alone used monitors or even expensive T-shirts.

Most of these goods require significant amounts of oil and other material resources to manufacture, and several are part of extensive global supply chains. For example, water requirements for manufacturing some products:

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technol ... -make.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 01:06:35

From what's going on at the moment (election results coming in) I would say about 12:30 am Wednesday!

Joking, but futures are down 720.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 01:32:20

beat me to it newf
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 01:59:03

Since Walmart was mentioned earlier, perhaps one may consider the ff. thread:

walmart-t69415.html
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:08:54

Newfie wrote:From what's going on at the moment (election results coming in) I would say about 12:30 am Wednesday!

The DJIA seems to have recovered, but it might be some kind of slow crash once he gets in there...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:15:40

Newfie wrote:From what's going on at the moment (election results coming in) I would say about 12:30 am Wednesday!

The market is up 72 points as of 10:16 central. So much for the panic. You guys need to harden the hell up or end up like this Hillary supporter last night. I swear, the country has produced wimps in large numbers.

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:22:10

Revi wrote:

The DJIA seems to have recovered, but it might be some kind of slow crash once he gets in there...

As though, with the rest of Capitol Hill there, Trump will likely be able to PASS enough stuff to have a meaningful effect on the economy. Since HRC would have gone all punitive mode on the job creators, that would have been negative too.

At the end of the day, the POTUS alone doesn't make all that much difference to the economy. Congress ultimately controls the purse strings.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:30:39

Market up 101 points. The market loves certainty. Now we have it. Enjoy the ride.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:38:17

If there is going to be a fast crash I think a likely catalyst will be health care. The trend has started toward moving that from a pre-tax employer paid benefit to a post-tax employee paid pre-paid asset. I don't know if what Trump will do to Obama Care will exacerbate this or not. The thing is, if people don't have a lot of extra money and suddenly something becomes that much more expensive that they have to pay for, something will give. It could just be that certain other things will become expendable, or that people won't be able to pay the rent.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:43:05

My sister will lose her health care, and my nephew too. Great...

I think it doesn't matter if the whole economy crashes as long as our personal economies crash.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:46:42

"You guys need to harden the hell up or end up like this Hillary supporter last night. I swear, the country has produced wimps in large numbers." Cog

Obviously you with your confederate flag are overjoyed. A lot of the rest of us who aren't you aren't too happy.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:50:14

Revi wrote:"You guys need to harden the hell up or end up like this Hillary supporter last night. I swear, the country has produced wimps in large numbers." Cog

Obviously you with your confederate flag are overjoyed. A lot of the rest of us who aren't you aren't too happy.

Don't care not even a bit what you are happy about. You tried to foist a career criminal on the country and you paid a price for it. Your tears can lubricate my Ar's.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 12:52:17

Revi wrote:My sister will lose her health care, and my nephew too. Great...

I think it doesn't matter if the whole economy crashes as long as our personal economies crash.

Why am I subsidizing your sister's health care? Did I give you permission to pick my pocket? I think not.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 13:02:28

LOL Bring your leftist violence. Obama and Hillary has insured that the right is armed to the gills. I need to check my range card anyway. So by all means burn your cities down and attack Trump supporters. I'm ready for a big laugh on how that turns out.

Oh and Pete, you might want to modify or have a moderator remove your threat against Trump. Some nasty person would have reported it to the Secret Service.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 13:07:37

Cog wrote:
Revi wrote:My sister will lose her health care, and my nephew too. Great...

Why am I subsidizing your sister's health care? Did I give you permission to pick my pocket? I think not.

It's not about picking someone's pocket, if it were then you should be outraged at the current system we have which picks your pocket with a coal shovel.

Simple example, we just bought some meds. In Canada they were about $7/ dose, here $28, AFTER the insurance paid its bit. So where did that $21/ dose go? And how do you defend that?

The USA has the WORST health care per dollar of any first world nation. And that was true befor Ocare.

The #1 cause of personal banruptcy in the USA is due to health related costs.

THAT is personal financial collapse.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 13:10:30

Your personal financial collapse is not my concern. You should have planned for a future better.

If you want to create a pharmaceutical company and give away pills to the poor, have at it. Good luck with all that.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance