Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When do you think the economy will crash?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: When do you think the economy will crash?

Unread postby Cog » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:36:25

You lost your house because you either lost your job or you thought housing prices would always go up and bought more than you could afford. The blame rests solely on you.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 10:42:53

Cog will be crying like a baby in a couple of years when he sees what a Trump dictatorship has done to his so-called civil liberties. Bush started DHS, ICE, etc., Obama institutionalised those things, and Trump will take it all to the Bank of Surveillance and Oppression. So much for your freedoms, dumbass.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:36:57

Hey we all have been betrayed disillusioned and deceived by the decision makers and political leaders in this country. But at least some recognize this. But some like Cog think his party is there to protect his interests. Yeah total naivety. Our political leaders and financial overlords never have and never will care about us little people other than for their own self interest
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:29:54

GHung wrote:Cog will be crying like a baby in a couple of years when he sees what a Trump dictatorship has done to his so-called civil liberties. Bush started DHS, ICE, etc., Obama institutionalised those things, and Trump will take it all to the Bank of Surveillance and Oppression. So much for your freedoms, dumbass.

Well it won't be gun rights. His son is heading up a 2nd Amendment Rights Coalition to recommend removal of onerous gun regulations. The NRA, gun manufactures, and pro 2nd politicians are getting ready to change the political landscape with reference to the 2nd Amendment.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:34:32

Gosh, Cog, do you really think your penis extensions will save you?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 12:44:09

GHung wrote:Gosh, Cog, do you really think your penis extensions will save you?

Do you know any gun owners are just fantasizing about knowing any?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 13:59:22

This isn't strictly economic I only decided to put it here on the last line

Republicans control

– Senate
– House
– Maj. of Governors
– Supreme Court pick
– Presidency

This hasn't happened since 1928

http://people.com/politics/trump-gop-su ... eme-court/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 14:04:31

Pops wrote:This isn't strictly economic I only decided to put it here on the last line

Republicans control

– Senate
– House
– Maj. of Governors
– Supreme Court pick
– Presidency

This hasn't happened since 1928

http://people.com/politics/trump-gop-su ... eme-court/

Yeah. Pops, most folks don't understand the horrible situation that is. Checks and balances went POOF! on Tuesday.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:18:28

Jeeze, I'm just freaking myself out, I may take up whiskey again

But the 1928 comparison is instructive. It’s the last time a Republican president enjoyed anything like the majority Trump will have, particularly in the House.

And how did that work out for them?

Hoover took over in a time of general prosperity but stagnant wages and vast income inequality. Populists in Congress proposed dramatic increases in tariffs to help the struggling agricultural sector, the equivalent of today’s beleaguered blue-collar workers.

The proposal divided Republicans in Congress and Hoover before they produced the 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, setting off retaliation, freezing international trade, contributing to the Great Depression and accelerating a ruinous cycle of nationalism around the world.

Hoover’s ghost should haunt the GOP right now. A populist, protectionist president has come to power at a time of long-depressed wages and vast inequality. He threatens to implement a 45 percent tariff against China and 35 percent against Mexico, and he’s about to collide with free-traders and pro-business interests in his own party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ge%2Fstory
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:26:42

Funny, when the Democrats had both houses AND the Presidency in 2009-2010 I did not hear any talk by Democrats about how checks and balances had all gone out the window and the end of the world was nigh?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:36:00

false equivalency is sorta the story of 2016 isn't it?
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:48:40

Pops wrote:false equivalency is sorta the story of 2016 isn't it?

Seems to be the rule when certain people talk politics. Its their own personal doom narrative, they cherry pick some facts and then write a story about how whatever their chosen opponents are doing, or even saying, is proof the End is Nigh.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 15:59:43

pstarr wrote: so what is the plan cog? What do you see as the solution to the 2nd amendment crisis? M60 open carry? Mandatory carry in schools?What? What 2nd Amendment right has Obama and the Hateful Left stolen from you? 30-bullet mags? Oh the horror

I like it when you talk sexy to me. :oops: Yes we want it all. Actually 30 round mags and AR's are perfectly legal in Illinois and we have shall issue conceal carry. But I want it all. No restriction. No barriers. All sorts of scary freedom.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 16:04:31

There is no equivalency between Obama and D campaign promises and statements in the 08 election and those of trump and I dare you to show me wrong

trump has shown an indifference not only to civility and social norms but to simple fact, the functions of government and the constitution

You can choose to believe that every promise made is a lie and this is just more of the same old same.

I on the other take him at his word.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 16:05:39

pretty funny getting a veiled ad hom as a "doomer" on po.com
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby GHung » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 17:46:38

Tanada wrote:Funny, when the Democrats had both houses AND the Presidency in 2009-2010 I did not hear any talk by Democrats about how checks and balances had all gone out the window and the end of the world was nigh?

I'm not a democrat, and you skipped the part where the Supreme Court had a conservative majority. There was your "check". You can assign anything you want to my position here, but that doesn't make it true. I'm NON-PARTISAN AND PRAGMATIC. Got that? And I get very nervous when either ideological group, left or right, gets control of all branches of government. Historically, that's when stupid chit happens and problems don't get solved..
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kiwichick » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 18:33:50

+1 ghung.......some seem to be forgetting about the 4th part.....the Supreme Court

that check is now gone , possibly for a generation, if the Dems can't get at least the senate back in 2018

the good news is that the luddites now have the opportunity to demonstrate their stupidity .....again
kiwichick
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 11 Nov 2016, 19:21:11

Did I mention that Rs now control 33 of the 35 state houses needed to amend the US Constitution?

Ds won't get anything but whipped in '18, kiwi, barring truly cataclysmic R actions.

They will be defending 5 senate seats in very republican states. Because senators have 6 year terms and presidents 4, and the sad fact that Ds don't come out in non-presidential years, they will almost certainly loose big in 18.
Pops
Elite
Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance