Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Vote!

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Vote!

Unread postby Pops » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 11:27:16

Don't roll over, exercise your franchise!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Vote!

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:15:11

...because it renews your license to complain about politics.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:28:30

I voted last Thursday.

I filled in the little circle for Julie Stein for President.

Its time to get rid of Obamacare and fix healthcare, democratize the economy, do something substantive about climate change, and push back against Wall Street and the establishment.

Go GREENS! :)
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dbruning » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 13:34:33

No matter who wins this election, here's hoping whoever ends up in charge does a better job than expected.

Good luck to all of our friends down south. :)
dbruning
Coal
Coal

Unread postby ritter » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 13:57:50

Plantagenet wrote:I filled in the little circle for Julie Stein for President.

Good on ya, Plant. I plugged my nose and threw in with Clinton. In the end, the nightmares of Trump pushed me out of the third party thinking.
ritter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby careinke » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 18:05:13

I planted a chestnut tree. Much more productive, and certainly less crooked.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vox_mundi » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 19:43:45

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread

Paraphrasing Carl von Clausewitz ...

Voting By Other Means: Multiple people shot near polling station; active shooter heavily armed

Police were responding to an active shooting near a polling place in Azusa Tuesday afternoon, with officials saying at least four people were shot.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Scroggins said police were dealing with at least one suspect who was heavily armed.

Few details were released about the shooting, which occurred sometime after 2 p.m. in a residential neighborhood in the area of Fourth Street and Orange Avenue, said Officer Jerry Willison of the Azusa Police Department.

This is a very volatile and critical situation,” he said.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department reported firefighters were treating four patients, but their injuries were not immediately known because the situation was “not contained.”

Willison declined to provide the location of the shooting for the safety of the officers and the victims, he said.

Azusa police urged residents to stay out of the area and asked all residents to shelter in place.

It was unclear whether any officers were injured in the shooting, Willison said.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said they were assisting police.

Azusa Union School District issued a lockdown for Slauson Middle and Mountain View Elementary schools about 2:15 p.m., officials said. A nearby daycare center and preschool was also locked down.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 20:29:07

Maybe this can be the overall election thread, not H or T specifically.

Some breaking news on CNN..

Trump started out with a ten point lead in Florida results (carrying the rural parts). But now, Palm Beach county results came in with a big bunch of votes for Clinton so now she's in the lead:

Clinton 1,389,000 49.5%
Trump 1,338,000 47.7%

These are still early results, I think they said 30% of the state's vote so far. Hillsborough county and Orlando need to come in yet, and those are big battleground areas. But then Dade needs to come in too, and that's heavily Democratic.

Looking good so far for Clinton.. maybe..

NC, OH too early to call yet

EDIT: this is gonna go back and forth all night maybe, I shouldn't bother posting it. :lol:

new update in, now Trump back in the lead, 43% of the vote in:

Trump 48.9%
Clinton 48.2%

Analysts say if Clinton wins, it'll be a slim victory margin.. but a FL win almost definitely means H would win the election.

2nd edit: Trump took a big lead again.. but now Clinton just took a big lead.. CNN analysts are saying the voting map for the state looks a lot like exactly the 2012 numbers with Obama versus Romney (O won the state by 1%).

HRC is actually doing better in Hillsborough county, than Obama did. Her numbers in Pinellas county are about the same as Obama vs. Romney.

Clinton's outperforming Obama's 2012 performance in several counties. "Hispanic votes are through the roof," per a Clinton campaign source.

Latest numbers, Clinton in the lead with 2/3 of the vote in:

Clinton: 49.9%
Trump: 47.3%

Clinton just took the lead in north carolina, too.
Last edited by Sixstrings on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 20:57:47, edited 3 times in total.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby PeakOiler » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 20:36:38

Plantagenet wrote:I filled in the little circle for Julie Stein for President.

Go GREENS! :)

I selected Jill Stein on the electronic voting pad...

Didn't see Julie...
:roll:
There’s a strange irony related to this subject [oil and gas extraction] that the better you do the job at exploiting this oil and gas, the sooner it is gone.

--Colin Campbell
PeakOiler
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 20:43:37

Voter surveys show a really big Hispanic turnout in Florida. The networks are saying thats bad for Trump.

But the Cuban vote in Florida usually goes strongly R.

I guess we'll have to wait to see which way these nice folks actually voted.

Florida's always such a hot mess on election night anyway.

cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 21:15:28

86% of the vote in.. and Trump is in the lead, by 700 votes.

And the counties yet to come in, may as well be Alabama.. it's the panhandle, just a couple counties out.

Trump may take Florida. It's close!

EDIT: Trump's running up a lead now, winning all the rural counties. But between Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Broward, that's 30% of the population of the whole state. There's only 25% reporting in from Palm Beach -- so, that's a lot of Clinton votes that could be coming in to take the lead at the end (or not, some are predicting FL to go Trump, now).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 22:05:53

As a Canadian I'm stunned by the bias from the various news feeds. You would think that news networks would be impartial.

I was watching a live feed from the Young Turks news and they have a clear Hillary bias, I got sick of watching that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOW_9rVkdo

Then moved on to the live infowars broadcast; Alex Jones is clearly drunk on air, with a Trump bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkGtX6sNPY

Where is the impartial news??
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 22:11:16

Rod_Cloutier wrote:Where is the impartial news??

Actually, it's on CNN. They're doing impartial coverage.

Young Turks is liberal base, and alex jones is far right conspiracy theory.

P.S. I guess you're asking about INTERNET news feeds.. so I don't know what that would be, centrists watch CNN on the cable tv. :lol:

I can't think of any centrist online news-streams.

Thanks for that young turks link though, I actually want to hear the liberal gameplay anlaysis. By the way, that young turks isn't inaccurate, it's just from a liberal perspective. The results are the results, as they roll in.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 22:24:33

Rod_Cloutier wrote:Where is the impartial news??

In the US, anyway, there doesn't seem to be much impartial news any more.

News is now a revenue source, and a platform for the corporations that own most of the news networks to talk their own book.

Long gone are the days when the TV news, for example, let a station discharge its civic duty required by the FTC, to earn its spectrum access.

Just one of the many ways the US is slowly going down the tubes. But as public educational quality declines, less and less of the public will even know or care about such matters.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 22:57:26

I'm watching PBS. Its biased but at least they don't pretend to be anything other than the government sponsored liberal voice of reason.

The news moderators are big-time Hillary backers, but at least they bring in a range of commentators from both the Rs and the Ds.

Right now they are kind of down in the mouth on PBS because Hillary and the Ds aren't doing as well as they had hoped.

They just updated vote totals.

Jill Stein of the Green Party is getting 2%!!!!! YEAH!!!! GO GREENS GO!!!!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 23:14:04

Plantagenet wrote:Right now they are kind of down in the mouth on PBS because Hillary and the Ds aren't doing as well as they had hoped.

Betting sites now have Trump at 79.1% chance to win, and Clinton at 20.6%.

Dow futures are down 500.. the market may tank if Trump wins. I think they said on CNN that gold jumped 3%. Mexican peso is down 7%, against the USD.

H*o*l*y* heck, Trump may win this thing. 8O

Electoral College (estimate: 261 clinton - 277 trump.)
270 electoral votes needed to win
https://electionbettingodds.com/

EDIT: futures down 600, now.. Trump at 80.7% on the betting site now..

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 02:08:19

Sixstrings wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Right now they are kind of down in the mouth on PBS because Hillary and the Ds aren't doing as well as they had hoped.

Betting sites now have Trump at 79.1% chance to win, and Clinton at 20.6%.

Dow futures are down 500.. the market may tank if Trump wins. I think they said on CNN that gold jumped 3%. Mexican peso is down 7%, against the USD.

Electoral College (estimate: 261 clinton - 277 trump.)
270 electoral votes needed to win
https://electionbettingodds.com/

EDIT: futures down 600, now.. Trump at 80.7% on the betting site now..

Six, I guess it's too late for you to change your vote for the winner. I feel bad, you used to take great pride in judging the American public. :?
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 02:34:55

Okay, I've spent the rest of the night watching Infowars (Even though Alex Jones is a raving madman) I turned back to Young Turks and I was even more disgusted by the 'Sore loser' behavior and I had to shut it off.

Just waiting for the Trump victory speech before going to bed. The economy is going to collapse now, but seeing that democracy still works was worth it...
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 07:49:13

Sixstrings wrote:

Six, remember your first instincts 15 months ago when you supported Donald?

What just happened? All of this comes from this patriotic deep sense of wanting to make America great again. It's all this longing for when we, almost all white, were the only ones on the block with the shining two cars in the driveway.

Then the world became complicated, your neighbors became browner, the chinese emerged, folks lost their jobs. Donald promises to bring all the old times back again.

The lure of reclaiming the nostalgic past was too tempting, too strong. People vote their economic interests. They vote their privilege. They believe Donald will turn back the clock.

So now we ask ourselves, all of us here who know the deeper systemic reasons why American culture can never retain its former exceptionalism, how will the masses respond when Donald fails to delivery on impossible promises?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Wed 09 Nov 2016, 07:53:08

He can't be as bad as Duterte.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Next

Return to Open Topic Discussion